Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
I think generally in a correction, you see heavy selling, a dead cat bounce, more selling, panic and capitulation with a really big down day. I don't think we have even hit the dead cat bounce yet. But I'm not trader, and generally have done better in real estate than stocks. Right now I'm in a cash position, not sure what I will do next besides watch.

Enjoy the show. My plan is this: watch, horde cash, and buy the best 5 stocks with a dividend when things are at a price I like. I am staying out of energy stocks as tempting as they might get.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The VIX (volatility index) just shot up to its second highest reading in 20 years. Usually, that's a sign the selling is close to over - at least for awhile.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
I think generally in a correction, you see heavy selling, a dead cat bounce, more selling, panic and capitulation with a really big down day. I don't think we have even hit the dead cat bounce yet. But I'm not trader, and generally have done better in real estate than stocks. Right now I'm in a cash position, not sure what I will do next besides watch.

Enjoy the show. My plan is this: watch, horde cash, and buy the best 5 stocks with a dividend when things are at a price I like. I am staying out of energy stocks as tempting as they might get.

Energy stock have issues, my guess is the high dividend's will be cut soon, After that happens they might get interesting for the long haul.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife's money is in the hands of a professional trader, so it's out of my hands both ways. At worst, our capital gains tax next year will be really tiny!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We've been thru worse. 2000, 2007-2008, 2015, 2018, ect. Its always scary and its always come back. Still not fun! There were lots before the dates that I listed and I was in some of them but didn't follow it as closely as I do now.

lightman
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This comes at a bad time for me, or rather my father, because I'm in the process of selling his stock to keep him in the LTC facility. Gonna cost him a few thousand most likely, depending on when the sales go through. On the other hand, it's really Monopoly money if he ends up broke and on Medicaid. All gone is all gone, no matter what you start with. His stocks are less affected than most, but a falling tide takes everything down.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
October 87 was a dozy, I don't think this much down.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We've had investments since the DOW was at 800. Saw at least three major downturns in the decades since, and never bailed. It has come back - WAY back - every time. We've long ago taken out more than we ever put in to fund things like college and weddings and we're still solid for the rest of our lives. Unless everything collapses, we're fine. And if it does, we're no worse off than anyone else.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
This is worse than 87, or 9-11. be brave folks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The NYSE needs a ten run rule like Little league baseball.

It does.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The big thing to realize is that’s this is an election year. So, let her fall, but, and a good chance exists a stimulus package+rate cuts will give a nice bounce.

Good way to make some money.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Just made my first downturn purchase. A regional bank that I already owned.
CEO made a hefty purchase yesterday so I scooped a little more up while it's off.

FJB & FJT
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Buying opportunity

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why is market volatility even a thing for anyone? If downs and ups scare you, then you shouldn't be in stocks. Invest in good companies and hold for the long-term. Profit is guaranteed. We're still probably twice as far ahead as we would be if Hillary had gotten elected. Why worry?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Why is market volatility even a thing for anyone? If downs and ups scare you, then you shouldn't be in stocks. Invest in good companies and hold for the long-term. Profit is guaranteed. We're still probably twice as far ahead as we would be if Hillary had gotten elected. Why worry?

Why do you have to be scared to pull your money out downturns are opportunities too. You can increase buying power significantly in times like these. Money sitting on the sidelines during times like these is just as if not more valuable than money in the market during good times. Buy low sell high is the game. Letting it ride is a good way to get a 7-10% annual return over long term. However that comes with a ceiling.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Pretty funny that Trump initially blamed the selloff on the Democratic debate. Now Donnie Jr is saying on Fox that the Dems are hoping that the virus comes here and kills millions of people so we can get rid of Trump. Sorry, that's just weird. Now that Pence is "in charge" I feel a whole lot better.

I don't know where the bottom is. The virus seems to be on the upswing, so I expect the markets will continue to fall in the near term. We're down about 11% so far on our investments, but luckily have enough in checking to live comfortably for several years. Being debt free is nice.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is worse than 87, or 9-11. be brave folks.

Its worse as far as what? The Dow is at 25,400. it was at 19,100 when Trump won the election. A 10,000 point jump in 3-1/2 years is begging for a correction.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

I agree with you, with the caveat, you need diversity in your holdings, and buy reputable companies.

Last edited by dale06; 02/29/20.

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Monday morning should be tell us a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Monday morning should be tell us a lot.

Looks like a possible sizable outbreak in Washington , so I expect a a$$ wippin is coming next week.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (3333vl, 12344mag, 160user, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 163bc, 31 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 615 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,482
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.