Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you take every thing into consideration, the Remington Nylon 66 was probably the best Semi-auto .22 ever made, as long as you shot open sights. I have one that never failed, even with lots of abuse, on purpose, by me. The old ads were full of the abuse that they would take, so I set out to test mine. I worked on a fish farm for a couple of years, and it stayed in the jeep that I fed fish in, year around, with no top and lots of dust and fish feed, and rain, snow etc. Never cleaned it, just shot it, and it never failed to function. Shot frogs, turtles, snakes, muskrats, other things that eat small fish. We did not have the variety of flying varmint then as are here now. Sea gulls, pelicans, cormorants and other water fowl are a problem now that were not here in the late 60's and 70's. I also left it leaning against a tree in my front yard one whole winter. It passed all of the tests and now is in my shop, cleaned and still functional. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a hankering for a .44 magnum/.44 special Henry but they are pretty pricey. I have a .44 special Smith and Wesson revolver, and am already set up to load, so it would be cheap to shoot. I also cast and powder coat my own bullets. New ones are kinda pricey, but if I should run across a used one at the right price, I will probably own one. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A Henry 22 is the ultimate truck gun. It’s cheap, it works, it’s plenty accurate. Not a safe queen that anybody has to worry about scratching and ruining its value.

I got the Henry steel 44 mag too.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
not trying to bash them. I realize they are trying to make inexpensive lever guns. winchester pretty much has bailed on making their legendary designs in numbers and prices we can afford anymore. Yeah I know the 10/22's and model 60's are no different with their cast recievers, both of which I have multiples. For me I just look at lever actions as tradition and pride. I would rather pay the money for an old school rifle like a 9422 or a 39a. it would be cool if henry made a steel version. I would buy one if they did. The brass is too much bling for me. the larger guns like the 30-30's etc. They made way too many of those not to just get a 70's or 80's JM gun for the same or maybe even a little less money. those are the reasons I haven't bought a henry.

Tradition and pride, like several generations of post '64 Winchester 94's with sintered steel receivers that would not take bluing, and the initial blue finishes were famous for flaking off early...??

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Henry has not placed a plastic magazine tube band on their rifles in years. I have several bought over the last 7-8 years and not a plastic band to be seen anywhere.

Top with some Skinner sights and roll out. For the money, they cannot be beat. Are old Winnies and Marlins better, IMO yes, but also carry a higher price. I have all three and don't plan on selling any. But it is easier to take the Henry out to go woods walking then it is the older guns simply because I won't cry as much over a scratch on it.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've no personal experience with a Henry... However, last week the LGS owner called me to say he had one in for a minor repair (I have done work for him for over 20 years).. I got there and he showed me a Henry rifle. Problem is - the idiot owner apparently tried to mount a scope, promptly broke off a screw, then TRIED TO D/T THE OTHER THREE TO 8X40tpi!! And he totally butchered one hole - so bad that I looked at it and passed on the job.. I told Mike to try sending it back to Henry and see what they would say about it..

A week later I happened into the store and asked Mike about that Henry. He replied, "you know what they did?? They sent him a new rifle, free!" I hadda reel my jaw back off the floor.. That was OUTstanding service in my book..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
I've no personal experience with a Henry... However, last week the LGS owner called me to say he had one in for a minor repair (I have done work for him for over 20 years).. I got there and he showed me a Henry rifle. Problem is - the idiot owner apparently tried to mount a scope, promptly broke off a screw, then TRIED TO D/T THE OTHER THREE TO 8X40tpi!! And he totally butchered one hole - so bad that I looked at it and passed on the job.. I told Mike to try sending it back to Henry and see what they would say about it..

A week later I happened into the store and asked Mike about that Henry. He replied, "you know what they did?? They sent him a new rifle, free!" I hadda reel my jaw back off the floor.. That was OUTstanding service in my book..

Yes, and if you email the company, the company president himself will answer it. He even answers questions over on RFC sometimes. That tells me he's serious about customer service, and customer relations in general. I don't own a Henry of any flavor, as I'm not all worked up about leverguns generally, but I have to say that it says a lot about the company, that the president puts himself out there to and for the customer.
I will say that I have been tempted to buy a .22WMR Henry a couple of times, but have always talked myself out of it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Yes, and if you email the company, the company president himself will answer it. He even answers questions over on RFC sometimes. That tells me he's serious about customer service, and customer relations in general. I don't own a Henry of any flavor, as I'm not all worked up about leverguns generally, but I have to say that it says a lot about the company, that the president puts himself out there to and for the customer.
I will say that I have been tempted to buy a .22WMR Henry a couple of times, but have always talked myself out of it.
I finally bought a Henry .22 magnum lever awhile back. Shoots ok for a lever {1" for 5 shots at 50 yards} and functions well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought one of their youth models for one of my daughters and liked it so much I bought myself the Frontier 22mag. I think that's what it's called, octogon barrel, 20"ish. They are fun to shoot and good guns. At 50 yards mine will keep three shots under an inch which is fine. It's been on a couple squirrel hunts and long walks here in central Michigan.

I did email the company late one Saturday night years back and the owner emailed me back Sunday morning. That was the fastest response I have ever gotten from any firearm manufacturer.

“Lighten up Francis”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the Henry 22 levers are nice looking and we buy a couple every year for our one and only per year gun raffle and our raffle has been a real good money maker for the club with raffling and including 2- Henry 22 levers in our 10 gun raffle. this year 2020 again i will order 2 more Henry levers for this years raffle at our club , Henry rifles are a great draw in the club`s gun raffle ! matter a fact in our gun raffle at the club i won a beautiful Henry lever 22 ,my grandson`s eyes just sparkled when he seen this Henry lever i won so grandson Alexander is now the proud owner of a Henry lever rifle now.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My only complaint with my H001 is the sights.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I finally bought a Henry .22 magnum lever awhile back. Shoots ok for a lever {1" for 5 shots at 50 yards} and functions well.

That's about as good as my 9422M did. I bought it because MuleDeer got real lucky with the one he bought. At current prices, I don't see any more of those in my future. Have to tale a look at the Henrys to see how they stand.

I can say that their CS is pretty good. I called yesterday about choke tubes, and while the very nice lady didn't have a total answer, she put me on the right path, and told me about a promotion they have for a free gun case. Score!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Blackheart

That's about as good as my 9422M did. I bought it because MuleDeer got real lucky with the one he bought. At current prices, I don't see any more of those in my future. Have to tale a look at the Henrys to see how they stand.

I can say that their CS is pretty good. I called yesterday about choke tubes, and while the very nice lady didn't have a total answer, she put me on the right path, and told me about a promotion they have for a free gun case. Score!
Yeah, I'd rather have a 9422M myself but am unwilling to pay the the price for one.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 17Hunter, 55 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,262
Posts18,371,910
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.