GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by shaman
Country Music is not dead.

#1 Granddaughter, the Mooselette, told me over the weekend that she like country music better than anything. That's odd, because I don't think either her father or mother listen to it. She just found it on her own.

We were out in the truck, riding into Falmouth for plumbing parts when she made the announcement. Right away I switched playlists-- Man of Constant Sorrow was the first to come on. She has a definite preference: Bluegrass tops Texas Swing and Zydeco and Contemporary Country. We didn't get too far into Classic Country or Cowboy.

Go figure. #1 son got turned on to Rockabilly and Little Richard. #2 found Led Zep and Pink Floyd. #3 -- bagpipes and Bluegrass.

I was wondering why you clumped Zydeco with Contemporary Country, but realized I don't know what Texas Swing is. It might clear it up if I find out it's something that is also foreign to Country Music.

Texas swing is very much country music. Does Bob Wills ring a bell?

Also, no country music is not dead but it ain't what it used to be. Some of it just down right sucks. It no longer has the heart and soul it once did. It went a little astray in the late 70s and early 80s but singers like Patty lovelace, Marty Stewart, Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, and Randy Travis and some more brought it back. I called that period the revival and enjoyed it very much. But the old guard is fading again. It needs an old guard type to make a big hit and get it back on track. This crap is mostly rockabilly noise now days. Yeah there's a few exceptions but the majority sucks!

Also, my parents weren't country music fans as such either. And certainly not my sister. Our family, coming from humble southern beginnings wanted to sort of disassociate themselves from that station in life. They wanted to "Improve" their status in life. We moved from Texas City, below Houston, to the "COW PASTURE" in 1955 when I was 7 years old. Seadrift Texas was a small Fishing and Ranching town here in Calhoun County Texas in the middle of the Texas Coast. It's population then was about what it is now, give or take a few, at about 1000 people. It was "Small Town USA" and still is. And most of its citizens were, back then lets just say, "In To Country Music." I grew up loving that sound, and still do. Every social gathering had a local country band with a singer or two that could mimic a few big time country stars. George Jones, Ray Price, and Hank Williams(even though he was already dead) all had big followings. As for women, Kitty Wells, Skeeter Davis and Patsy Cline started in the 50s and were big in small Texas towns back then. I got hooked at a young age.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/28/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As Kris Kristofferson said, “If it sounds like country, it’s country.”

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dad used to say the Germans taught the hillbillies to play Country. Of course, Dad was big on telling everyone the Germans invented or discovered everything.

I have to say, the Midwestern Hayride crowd partied a lot at Retshulte's in Northern KY-- it was a German restaurant. Country and German went together at lot around Cincinnati.

. . . BUT COUNTRY MUSIC? Come on! Dad give it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkzdsQtnHqs

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by shaman
Dad used to say the Germans taught the hillbillies to play Country. Of course, Dad was big on telling everyone the Germans invented theor discovered everything.

I have to say, the Midwestern Hayride crowd partied a lot at Retshulte's in Northern KY-- it was a German restaurant. Country and German went together at lot around Cincinnati.

. . . BUT COUNTRY MUSIC? Come on! Dad give it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkzdsQtnHqs
fr
Actually, I think Scotch Irish Immigrants more brought country music along. Blue Grass came from the mountains with singers of scotch Irish heritage and mimiced the sound of bag pipes. But to bolster your dad's opinion I will say German Americans from Bar Rooms and Dance Halls all over Texas communities of German and Czech descent were full of people dancing to country songs. And Polka fit right in too. So maybe you could say Country Music was a European thang, LOL!

But again. singers like Johnny Rodriguez, Charlie Pride and musicians like Flacko Jimenez blow that theory too. So just call it AMERICAN music.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/28/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And She Is RIGHT !! Sad to say

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like country dancing a lot, that’s why God made Saturday nights.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Country Music is only dead if you insist on listening to the Pop shiznit played on the high-traffic radio stations. There's lots of original type stuff that gets no airtime. Some of it is pretty traditional too, if that's your thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue
As Kris Kristofferson said, “If it sounds like country, it’s country.”

That ain't Mick's first rodeo. Wild Horses, Honky Tonk Woman, Tumbling Dice...just to name a few.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thank you all for the explanations. I haven't been able to follow the thread.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Country Music is only dead if you insist on listening to the Pop shiznit played on the high-traffic radio stations. There's lots of original type stuff that gets no airtime. Some of it is pretty traditional too, if that's your thing.

NO sir that Pop shiznit crap ain't my thang !
Even from Hot Springs--- L R the so-called Current Country stations playing the 'new' country DON'T get listened to by me.

I have 2 Classic Country stations that I ONLY listen to when I'm in a vehicle.
Most all of their songs are from 70-90 or so. Occasionally they'll play something from the 50s or 60s.

This "new" country is either Country Rock or Country (c)Rap !

**** I saw Chris Jansen *** on the 50 yr Anniversary Dolly Parton TV special **** He Did a GREAT job.
He played guitar and harmonica, that I remember, but HE is the BEST young Country singer I've heard. PERIOD

I''d heard the song "Buy Me A Boat" but I didn't know who he was.
You can find Chris and his music on Itunes.

I'm saying.... We NEED MORE like Chris Jansen today.

Last edited by jwall; 02/29/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.