Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got one coming in next week. 6 7/8” SS slab side.
Hope it’s a shooter. Price was right.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got one of those, it's a great shooter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Think he means this one.
First year 4 digit, had a Clark trigger group installed and it is sweet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
^^I think you're right.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, hes right. I have one just like it and yes, its a hell of a shooter.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes on the SS Slabside.
It has the factory trigger as far as I know so that will be the first order of business. Second order will be to decide to keep it open sites or scope/red dot.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are nice pistols. I like the looks of the slab side and they are very accurate, just like any of the mkII rugers. Deciding on whether you are going to run irons, scope or red dot is something I had to decide too. I tried all of those options and then later decided to keep the red dot on my other mkII that is slightly quicker handling for bowling pin shoots. The longer heavier barrel coupled with the scope and mount make it (the slab side) heavier than I liked:

I keep the bushnell TRS25 on my lighter MKII and use it for our rimfire open class as well as bowling pin matches. It works like a champ. The slab side, I shoot irons only now:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m sure the new pistols are great. But it will be hard to beat any of the Mark 2’s. You will be happy with your purchase.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The slab side barrel profile has always looked good to my eye. Never owned one... I need to fix that.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Yes on the SS Slabside.
It has the factory trigger as far as I know so that will be the first order of business. Second order will be to decide to keep it open sites or scope/red dot.

If they have everything that came with it from the factory, optics are not a problem. The SS competition slab side came with a base and mount screws. As far as I know it was the only MKII model drilled and tapped at the factory.

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Yes on the SS Slabside.

If they have everything that came with it from the factory, optics are not a problem. The SS competition slab side came with a base and mount screws. As far as I know it was the only MKII model drilled and tapped at the factory.

The later Government models were drilled and tapped. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JimHinSTL: I hope you enjoy your new "slab-side" as much as I do mine.
I also prefer the stainless steel models in all my MK series of Ruger pistols.
I do a lot of Ground Squirrel shooting and have red dot sights on the MK pistols I shoot/Hunt with.
I may have measured wrong but my on-line and hard copy inventories show that I listed my MK-II slab side pistol as having a 6 1/2" barrel.
I better double check that.
I bought that one used some time back and again may have miss-measured.
Last summer I did buy a 10" heavy barreled Ruger MK-II but have not fired this blued model to date.
Again enjoy to the max.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Yes on the SS Slabside.

The later Government models were drilled and tapped. Hasbeen

Missed that, I did some digging and found that in 2004-2005 all adjustable sight models were in fact drilled and tapped. Starting with #225-00000 and some 20,000 in all models were produced. Still up to that point the competition model was the only one.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They are nice pistols. I like the looks of the slab side and they are very accurate, just like any of the mkII rugers. Deciding on whether you are going to run irons, scope or red dot is something I had to decide too. I tried all of those options and then later decided to keep the red dot on my other mkII that is slightly quicker handling for bowling pin shoots. The longer heavier barrel coupled with the scope and mount make it (the slab side) heavier than I liked:

I keep the bushnell TRS25 on my lighter MKII and use it for our rimfire open class as well as bowling pin matches. It works like a champ. The slab side, I shoot irons only now:

Really like those rose wood or whatever grips on that slab side. Mine is coming with a pac-Meyer set.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Really like those rose wood or whatever grips on that slab side. Mine is coming with a pac-Meyer set.

Yeah, I believe that is the way they came from the factory.. Nice pistols. I've sold all but the 2 shown in the pics above. Had a few beautiful MkII's, but these are my favorites...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those slabsides look pretty nice. Had a 10" mark ii years ago that shot like a rifle. Got the 678 target tapered now. Plain blued. Has excellent balance.
Shoots good all stock. But I wouldn't mind some fiber optic sights and some rubber grips with the finger grooves. The trigger doesn't bother me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've got the blued version, topped with a red-dot sight and LH Eagle grips.. Very, very accurate - in fact, that's what I take for squirrel hunting.. I see a head - and next thing the body's on the ground.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Picked it up today but it just has the scope rail on it and the open sites are still in a bag. No filler screws came with it so I called Ruger just moments ago and the nice lady is mailing me some as I type. I plan on shooting it open sites at first and if I decide to put optics on it I’ll swap it all back out again. What I really want now is a set of the factory grips with thumb rest. I’ll post some want to buy ads in a few places and poke around eBay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those grips might still be available from Ruger. As far as the scope base if you check with Ruger the proper one should mount without removing the rear sight.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The other issue I have is the rear site does not want to slide into the dovetail all the way. I would prefer to push it in with a site tool but may have to tap it in place with something.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well that didn’t take long. Got a guy selling me some take offs that have been sitting around doing nothing so now I have the grip issue resolved. I guess next I should look for the proper scope base. The one on mine is not factory.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow seems like there are some very knowledgeable lads on this thread.

Mine is a Blue Mark II Target Competition Target Model slab side 6 7/8 218-xxxxx with the Rosewood thumb rest grips. Very Very accurate and it doesn't get shot enough being back there in the safe.

Most of the ones I've seen are mostly stainless steel and I've often wondered the number of Mark II like mine that were produced and when.

Any one of the lads that know more then me care to advise ???

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Redhill I am eager to hear how many were produced. I don’t recall seeing one myself in any shop.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Redhill I am eager to hear how many were produced. I don’t recall seeing one myself in any shop.

A wee bit of looking at Ruger resources seemed to indicate, from the serial number, that it was produced at/around 1993.

That site had no number of units produced though.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a stainless slabside Mark II I bought back in the mid-1990s, I think. I did a trigger job myself, and the little gun is a sweet shooter, just like the Mark I target pistol I had before it. They are fun.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sarona gun works is my go to for Ruger parts and work. Dennis has worked on my 3 mark 2’s. Excellent gunsmith.
Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redhill
Wow seems like there are some very knowledgeable lads on this thread.

Mine is a Blue Mark II Target Competition Target Model slab side 6 7/8 218-xxxxx with the Rosewood thumb rest grips. Very Very accurate and it doesn't get shot enough being back there in the safe.

Most of the ones I've seen are mostly stainless steel and I've often wondered the number of Mark II like mine that were produced and when.

Any one of the lads that know more then me care to advise ???

Some sources say 1000-2000 blued models were made. They are not rare. The rarest are a SS US government stamped bull barrel of which none were sold to the public and a 5.5” blued slab side (500 made) for the government minus the US markings. Ruger has never been very precise on exactly when serial # were shipped, but there were at least 95,000+ made with 218-***** numbers between 92-99.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim, with a scope, they have been known to shoot 3/8" at 25 yds, and 10 CCI Mini-Mag HPs in a quarter....at 50 yds . Benched.

Enjoy!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love MKII slabsides.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
I love MKII slabsides.

Very nice. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Only owned bull barrels, but I really like the slab look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
366 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.