Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I was in Wally World earlier this week and saw a reasonably priced Savage so-chambered in the display along with a sizable stack of ammo.

How does this cartridge stack up against the HMR & Hornet?

I like to reload, but the ammo appeared reasonably priced... $17/50 IIRC?

What's everyone's thoughts?

Thanks,

efw

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
it's a tweener. 'Tween the hummer and the hornet. As far as rifles go, I'd rather have a 'sizeable stack' of chit, than a B-mag....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hard pass on the savage B-mag. Cartridge is fun. Not much difference between HMR with A17 ammo and the WSM.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LOVE the chambering,whether in 77/22,Franklin or JARD Krunchentickers.

I prolly have a "few" High Zoot Hummers too and the A17 Schit,is fhuqking LIGHTYEARS shy of Whizzum performance.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Coyotes don’t like it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Efw: Two of my Ground Squirrel Hunting friends own and Hunt with them. I have shot both of them "afield" and notice the difference (pretty impressive!) when a big Ground Squirrel is hit "amidships" (over a 17 HMR)!
One is a Ruger 77/17 WSM and the other is "savage" of I forget the model.
Preferred the Ruger by a large margin.
By the way both are accurate enough to be impressive according to the owners. Saw one Badger that was kill't with the 17 WSM - head on one shot kill to the chest at 80 - 90 yards.
That says something.
Good luck if you decide to go for it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of the Ruger 77/17's in this chambering. I really like it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shoulda been a 20

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have an 18" SS Ruger in the laminate with a 6X SS on top. It's made a great show for itself out to 400 on calm days with the American Eagle ammo. I think I get it for 12-13 bucks a box. It is a beast of a little cartridge. I am the same way and love to reload, but the 17 WSM is a blast just shooting and not worrying about picking up brass. It is close to one of the funnest rifles I own.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I ended up with a Volquartsen in a trade and am about to scope and take it to the range. Should be lots of fun.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I ended up with a Volquartsen in a trade and am about to scope and take it to the range. Should be lots of fun.

Hell yeah, let us know what you think!

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Hell yeah, let us know what you think!

OSU, any feedback? Have been thinking hard on going the same route vs the ruger

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
going to try tomorrow. Rain and wind today. I'll have it out tomorrow and should be able to file a report.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Right on..thanks

She's gone shootin..
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[Linked Image]

Took the Volquartsen 17 WSM out to the range today. Shot it first without a can, then with a can. Here are some thoughts on the rifle.

Its a heavy rifle. Weight of rifle and scope, without the magazine and ammo is 11 lbs. 2 oz. The scope is a Nikon Monarch 5 3-15x42 and isn't known as a heavy scope. I think the trigger is good but the magazine was trouble for me. I'm going give it a bit of a pass due to the fact that its new but it needs to be much easier to load ammo in for me.

I was pleased that the point of impact with the can was not much different that groups without the can. The downside for a lefty shooting a can is the blowback you get on your right cheek when the rifle is fired. It's apparently common with semi autos.

The rifle shot well and the 17 WSM is pretty hot. I didn't have my chrono but feel the bullets were really screaming. I had no malfunctions but only was able to put about 45 rounds down range. Best group at 100 yards was about 1.5 inches. Wind was at about 120 degrees at 6-10mph.

Questions?

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 03/10/20.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What’s up sig, thanks for coming thru..

Nice looking setup there. I don’t have any questions other than how do you feel about the accuracy?
I know you didn’t shoot much but I think I’d be a bit disappointed if the best I could muster out of a rifle costing that much was 1 1/2”...
What do you think?

She's gone shootin..
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good points and I think the rifle can do much better than it did today. I couldn't get comfortable behind it. I didn't have a front rest so I had to use those bags pictured and the scope/ring combo isn't the best. I am confident it will do better than what I did with it today.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Right on.. I’d think so as well. Keep the reports coming when you get out again.

She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Funny the 17 was the only available cartridge left on the shelf at the local sportsman warehouse along with 100's of what I will call hunting cartridges 270 ect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OSU, it’s normal that your Volquartsen will need some breaking in. Part of the accuracy issue may be you getting used to the heavy, one piece milled receiver...I’m sure you noticed the felt recoil from the action moving -surprisingly how heavy the push back is considering with a bolt gun in 17 WSM there isn’t any recoil...

Mine was a low serial # of 25 after Volquartsen started chambering for the 17 WSM and It was as accurate as my Ruger 17 WSM rifle.

I decided to trade mine off eventually...Now, I use a Ruger 77/17 WSM with a 24” varmint barrel and just today picked up another Ruger M77/17 WSM but with a 20” barrel.

I’ve looked at and shot the Savage Bmags, aside from Savage having a decent enough barrel that gave good accuracy for a small price of admission into the world of 17 WSM. The Bmag and it’s funky bolt system was a non-starter for me. I like having a rimfire feel like a full size rifle in my hands.

Like Scotty above mentioned, my Ruger, and Volquartsen liked the Federal American Eagle over all the other brands. Weird, since I’ve been told one company produces all the 17 WSM ammo...They must’ve just like the look of the Federal box over Hornady’s. Laffin.

Tip: Hold you Volquartsen down a little more firmly and watch that your bag isn’t blocking the ejection port or catching the bolt lever as it moves back or forward. Your picture shows no issue with the bag, but I had it happen in the field a couple of times when I would sink mine deeper into the bag to lessen the recoil for better accuracy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Newest Rug 17 wsm with 20” Sporter barrel...A fast and handy little rimfire. Triggers are notoriously awful. Quick fix is a Jard spring replacement. Drops the trigger from around 7lb to 3lb in minutes.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 63 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.