Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All from China, minus Ebola. Heard a case that a dog contracted it?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
what ya gonna do to stop it?

Sky has not fallen.

What ya gonna do if it does fall?

I'd have liked to thought that there would be less freak out types around the fire, but I may be wrong.

Deal with it if and when it shows. In the meantime nothing you or I do will change that.

And if you aren't dealing with good hygiene to start with you will have the flu etc... much more often. And its chances.

Bottom line carry on like you SHOULD, day to day.

Including having that 2-6 month stash of food, water etc....just in case, but which like my carry gun, will likely never ever be used.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

Sky has not fallen.

Probably not a lot that can be done top stop it at this point and the sky has not fallen, best we can do at this point is to educate ourselves about this virus so we can minimize spreading it to those most at risk. I worry about my parents who live in Washington state and are in their upper seventies. Knowledge is power.

Transparency, even if the information is negative, paradoxically engenders trust. We are not children. We can assimilate information without running into the street screaming. Hiding information from people who must make decisions about work, travel, &c. leads to mistrust.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Squidge
Time to brush up on good hygiene protocols, washing hands, not touching your face, avoiding large crowds. See 3/9 and 6/9.

I'm not a frequent flyer, but had to this past week. Normally, in an airport bathroom, I guess about half the people don't wash their hands afterwards. found it very interesting that I did not see a single person rush out of the bathrooms without washing their hands last week. And not a quick rinse and run, either. Lots of soap being used. People are changing their hygiene practices, which is encouraging.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rost495

Sky has not fallen.

What ya gonna do if it does fall?

I'd have liked to thought that there would be less freak out types around the fire, but I may be wrong.

Deal with it if and when it shows. In the meantime nothing you or I do will change that.

And if you aren't dealing with good hygiene to start with you will have the flu etc... much more often. And its chances.

Bottom line carry on like you SHOULD, day to day.

Including having that 2-6 month stash of food, water etc....just in case, but which like my carry gun, will likely never ever be used.

Of course. BUT, you certainly do realize that very few (including around the 'Fire) are actually prepared for anything beyond the next couple of days. So in that sense, this is a very good opportunity to encourage proper prior preparation for any crisis event.

AND, for those not prepared, in a response like a city-wide quarantine, this would absolutely be the sky falling, as they very likely would struggle to survive beyond 3 days without any supplies. So from a community-based response perspective, COVID-19will create some sort of major problem somewhere. If a little "pre-panic" can be encouraged, then hopefully people will wake up and prepare before it is too late for them. A more-prepared populace is never a bad thing, as it allows for higher-levels of survival and lessens govt dependence.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
ILI = "influenza-like illness" but return negative results on all influenza testing

There has been a small but distinct uptick in ILI cases in the USA since December, peaking quite higher now in large cities like Chicago. These are people who report to health care for what seems like the flu but yet do not test positive for influenza.

There is a very good chance that the uptick could be COVID-19 that was not being tested for anywhere. If so, then COVID-19 has been circulating in the wild for this late winter already, and that would explain the worse "flu season" that has happened this year including twice as many deaths as normal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by K22
SARS...….…….2004
AVIAN...………..2008
SWINE...……….2010
MERS...………..2012
EBOLA.....……..2014
ZIKA...………….2016
EBOLA.....…… 2018
CORONA..…….2020. Common denominator??? All election years.

Aren’t you the anti-vaxxer?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Esox357
All from China, minus Ebola. Heard a case that a dog contracted it?

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202002/28/P2020022800013.htm

Detection of low level of COVID-19 virus in pet dog
A spokesman for the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said today (February 28) that a pet dog had been tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus.

The AFCD received a referral from the Department of Health on February 26 that a dog of a patient infected with COVID-19 disease virus will be handed over to the AFCD. Staff of the AFCD picked up the dog from a residential flat at Tai Hang in the evening on the same day and sent the dog to the animal keeping facility at the Hong Kong Port of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge. Oral, nasal and rectal samples were collected for testing of COVID-19 virus. The nasal and oral cavity samples were tested weak positive to COVID-19 virus. The dog does not have any relevant symptoms.

The above dog is the only dog under quarantine at animal keeping facility at the Hong Kong Port of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge at the moment. There are no other animals using the said facility. Staff of the department will step up cleansing and disinfection of the animal keeping facility.

At present, the AFCD does not have evidence that pet animals can be infected with COVID-19 virus or can be a source of infection to people. The Department will conduct close monitoring of the above dog and collect further samples for testing to confirm if the dog has really been infected with the virus or this is a result of environmental contamination of the dog's mouth and nose. Repeated tests will be conducted for the dog and it will only be returned when the test result is negative.

The spokesman said that to ensure public and animal health, the department strongly advise mammalian pets of patients confirmed to have been infected with COVID-19 virus to be put under quarantine by the AFCD. The pets will be delivered to the designated animal keeping facilities of the AFCD for quarantine and veterinary surveillance for 14 days. Samples will be collected for testing of COVID-19 virus as appropriate.

The spokesman reminded the pet owners to maintain a good habit of hygiene, and wash their hands thoroughly with soap or alcohol sanitiser after contacting pets. Pet owners shall wear masks while going out. If there are any changes in the health condition of the pets, advice from veterinarians should be sought as soon as possible.

Ends/Friday, February 28, 2020
Issued at HKT 0:55

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Squidge

Transparency, even if the information is negative, paradoxically engenders trust. We are not children. We can assimilate information without running into the street screaming. Hiding information from people who must make decisions about work, travel, &c. leads to mistrust.

Exactly.

Further, if one wants the scoop, read and assimilate original source material. Don’t rely on the media to do it for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heard a preacher on TV say we're deep into the end times (and I should send him my money). Radio news just said the pope is staying home with "cold like symptoms." It's a sign - We're doomed!

Forgot to add And it's all Trump's fault. Just ask Nancy.

Last edited by nighthawk; 03/01/20.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Pope's been sick for a few days with a viral condition. They haven't not named what yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It would be pretty crazy if the Pope succumbed to COVID19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Stocked up on TP[high quality] yesterday, whew!

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great animated graphic illustrating the geometric spread of corona virus in a South Korea.

Watch the graphic change over time. It spans January 20 — March 5 (today).

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wik...h_Korea_over_Time.gif#mw-jump-to-license

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the first month (January 20–February 104), The following day, cases in South Korea nearly doubled to 204. Since then, in the two weeks bringing us to today, the number of cases exploded to 6088.

Wikipedia is proving to be a great source. They are also one of my favorite charities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_South_Korea

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Anyone know what percentage of S. Korea would be considered third world[by our standards]?

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
None.

South Korea is officially a First World nation.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kingston
None.

South Korea is officially a First World nation.

Interesting, I would have thought that some of it would still be old world-ish.

FJB & FJT
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.