Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I assume that is straight from ATL with no connection from elsewhere in the U.S.?

Al

Spend your life wisely.
BP-B2

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I upgraded and it was awesome call Gracey travel in Boerne Tx then relax and know that it has been taken care of.

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
I assume that is straight from ATL with no connection from elsewhere in the U.S.?

Yes. I live in a small town outside of Atlanta.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My younger brother and myself also booked the comfort plus for our June flight. El Paso to Atlanta then Johannesburg to overnight then Maun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
IIRC the last time I went it was about $200 each way. If I go back to Namibia I will avoid JB altogether.

JG,

Barring transit thru Joberg, what route would you consider on your next trip? IIRC, from previous research, alternative routes require a metric chit ton of permitting for firearms.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I believe I would have to use Emirates or Qatar airlines. It's a little longer time wise, but not having to deal with SAPS, overnight, etc would be worth it to me. From what I've seen, it's significantly cheaper than Delta too. I'd use Steve @ Travel With Guns or Travel Express in Montana to book flights, and they'd do whatever firearm work as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Flew Delta in September 2018 from New Orleans to ATL to Joberg. We chose the comfort plus economy which was $2-300 upcharge over regular economy IIRC. Total was around $2200-2300 with the flight cancellation insurance. We did get hassled and talked to like trash coming back into ATL. It was as if we were bothering them to do their jobs. Overall flight wasn't too bad. Was a little uncomfortable for a 300lb guy in a plane seat for 16-17hrs and it was a little stuffy but otherwise not too bad. I couldn't sleep on the plane to save my life. I wouldn't do it again unless I could afford to fly 1st/business class.

The buddy I went with has a friend that has been to RSA 13 times. He highly recommended us avoid stopping in Europe if we were taking our own guns so that's why we chose the straight flight from ATL to Joberg.

One thing I will recommend is thorough planning. We left NOLA at 3:30pm then left ATL at 6:45pm IIRC. By the time we arrived in Joberg, got our bags and guns and got to camp it was midnight the next day. Showered and got in bed close to 1am then alarm was going off at 4:30am. So I was awake for about 43hrs then slept 3hrs or so and was getting up to start the hunt. This kind of set the pace for what ended up being a very exhausting trip for me but we did end up with a very successful hunt. We should have left NOLA in the am or got a room in Joberg and then made it to camp the next day. Guess we live and learn. Good luck on your trip and safe travels.

Ohh and we used Henry with rifle permits for transporting our rifles. This made things a breeze arriving in SA.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
796 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 79 invisible), 3,189 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.