Print Thread
Hop To
L
lvmiker Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Sheldon and Selous. I received, for Christmas, a copy of The Best of Sheep Hunting. A compilation of stories ranging over a 100 year period, edited by John Batten. As so often happens this led to a list of other writers that I needed to explore the 1st of which was Charles Sheldon, how did I miss him for all these years? I am totally absorbed in The Wilderness of the Upper Yukon. Sheldon's writings are a collection of his journals while hunting from Mexico to Alaska as a member of the U.S. Biological Survey.

I just finished a chapter in which he hunted w/ Selous in the Upper Yukon in Oct. and Nov. of 1904. They shot bears, moose caribou, goats and Dall sheep[Sheldon's primary focus] . They covered a huge amount of virgin country by canoe and did miles daily on foot. A true adventure story beautifully told that describes the abilities and sense of adventure of people that I can only imagine spending time with around a campfire.

I highly recommend it to all w/out reservation, Sheldon's Wilderness of Denali, and Wilderness of the American Southwest await.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I wish I could share a hunt with some of my departed friends who were excellent shots, never complained about, well anything and taught me so much about hunting and life in general.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I can’t remember the title but Selous published his own book about the trip which was really good

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Desertranger
I wish I could share a hunt with some of my departed friends who were excellent shots, never complained about, well anything and taught me so much about hunting and life in general.

While sharing a hunt with someone like Sheldon, Selous or other notable hunter would be great. I'd just like to have another hunt with my old buddy Jon who passed suddenly two years ago. He was a great hunting partner and friend.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.