Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Like to order a couple of McMillans for a few Winchester 70's. The stock I mostly use now is the Manners EH2. Vertical grip, palm swell, high comb, fat foreend. It's fugly but what I shoot best. Manners apparently won't do it for Winchesters, though.

Looking through all the threads, looks like the Sako Hunter has a similar grip shape, palm swell, and high comb, but has a skinny fore-end.

The Winchester Hunter seems similar, but maybe with a slightly wider fore-end (better for me, but what does it lose vs the Sako?)

The Micky Remington Hunter seems to be most like an EH2.

I realize this has been hashed over forever, but most of the photos from older posts are blurred out. Rifles in question are a Classic 300wsm, a Classic 338 win mag, and a pre-64 35 whelen that might morph into a 9.3x62 before its built.

Is the Winchester Hunter like the Sako Hunter, except for the thicker fore-end? And is the Remington Hunter basically the same except for the very wide fore-end? Does anyone have pics of a Winchester hunter fore-end vs a Sako? What am I missing here?

Last edited by TX35W; 02/17/20.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like fun. Good luck with your search.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Damn it...I realized I had not posed this as a question. Just rewrote my post.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TX35W
The stock I mostly use now is the Manners EH2. Vertical grip, palm swell, high comb, fat foreend. It's fugly but what I shoot best. Manners apparently won't do it for Winchesters, though.

When did Manners cease inletting for Winchesters? They've done a couple for me.

If Manners stocks fit you well, you could always just buy a flattop from them and have LRI inlet it for you. The EH3 is a very nice stock, too.

I'm not a fan of the Hunter stocks, BTW, but it all depends on your build. I have high cheekbones and the Hunter stock does not allow me a good cheek weld. I'd rather have a Super Grade than a Hunter.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two McMillan Hunters for M70s...absolutely love them. Also have the EH2, but it’s on a GAP. Honestly, I prefer the Hunter between the two.

Chris
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
With the exception of the Echols Mcmillan there is nothing in their lineup that works for me on a M70.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was looking at adding a McM Hunter for a Model 70, but the new pricing is just ticking me off. Looks to me like more than $700 for a stock. Damn. I'm used to paying around $500 for a Mickey.

Are there any other decent stocks available for the M70 that are less than $700?

405wcf

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I was looking at adding a McM Hunter for a Model 70, but the new pricing is just ticking me off. Looks to me like more than $700 for a stock. Damn. I'm used to paying around $500 for a Mickey.

Are there any other decent stocks available for the M70 that are less than $700?

405wcf

Bansner to me has a great feel. I don't know if he is back in business making stocks again. I know the base stock was 350 then paint and pad.

I have tried the Super Grade,Edge Hunter and the Sako Classic hunter on a 70. I was not crazy about any of them and now with the price increase......

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

405wcf

Check with Rick here at the Fire store. He got me a Hunter's Edge at the old price.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

405wcf

Check with Rick here at the Fire store. He got me a Hunter's Edge at the old price.

DF

That he will

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am surprised Brown Precision stocks do not get more attention here.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan

They are just too damn expensive. I love the poundR on my 338, but its not worth the asking price IMHO

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

They are just too damn expensive. I love the poundR on my 338, but its not worth the asking price IMHO

McM prices are moving in that direction. Rick has a LOT more stroke with McM than individual customers and is very easy to work with. As posted, Rick got me old pricing on my latest, a Hunter's Edge, purchased AFTER the price increase. Any problems with McM are best worked thru Rick. He has their attention, seems to get a lot more respect than individuals. That's not a great commentary on McM, but seems to be the way it is. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

It's just way too easy going thru Rick than dealing with those people direct. I've done it both ways.

IME,

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

McM prices are moving in that direction. Rick has a LOT more stroke with McM than individual customers and is very easy to work with. As posted, Rick got me old pricing on my latest, a Hunter's Edge, purchased AFTER the price increase. Any problems with McM are best worked thru Rick. He has their attention, seems to get a lot more respect than individuals. That's not a great commentary on McM, but seems to be the way it is. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

It's just way too easy going thru Rick than dealing with those people direct. I've done it both ways.

IME,

DF

Rick is the only person to deal with when buying a McMillan, and their customer service people are top notch as well.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

IME,

DF

Rick is the only person to deal with when buying a McMillan, and their customer service people are top notch as well.

I'll put my money on Rick sorting out a problem, than going direct.

DF

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I’m leaning toward the LAW (formerly Bansner):

http://www.legendaryarmsworks.com/product-p/winmod70sa.htm

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm currently in discussion with Bansner for a stock for a 5 digit Classic Sporter 30-06. They are sending me a work order with the specifications I requested. At this point I don't know price or delivery times.

717.997.2660 | bansnerandco.com

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I talked to Mark a few weeks ago, he said they were making a new mold for Winchester stocks and should be done the end of March.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by lone wolf
I talked to Mark a few weeks ago, he said they were making a new mold for Winchester stocks and should be done the end of March.

Any idea if it will have a cheekpiece?

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Gasman
Originally Posted by lone wolf

Any idea if it will have a cheekpiece?

Not sure on the cheek piece. Shoot Mark an email. I think I am going to order one when there ready. I have always liked the way his stocks feel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.