Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Guys,

I’m getting ready for DIY elk hunting trip for the first time this year. Costs for gear are already mounting, tent, cot, Badlands 2200 Backpack, new arrows and string for my bow, etc.......

I know you shouldn’t skimp on your boots, and I’m not going too, but I’m looking hard at some Belleville 693 military goretex boots around $200. Is this stupid? Should I pony up $100-$150 more for some Danner, etc.....?

Anyone serve and wear these or very similar. The ratings are great and seem to have very little breakin time. Planning on hitting some of the local conservation area trails this spring/summer to exercise and test boots/gear out. We will be packed in to our hunting area, but will hunt for 10 days on foot.

I’m hoping to make this an annual thing, but costs are mounting!

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd be looking at buying a few pairs of boots. Break them in real well before you go on your hunt. I've seen some of the best boots get soaked, and that's one thing you don't want is to be hunting in wet boots. Buy boots with varying weights of insulation, IE: 400gram, 800gram, etc. You may get there and realize a lightweight hunting boot is what is needed, or you may get there with snow on the ground. Elk country can also change over night. One day its beautiful, the next you get a foot of snow... Be prepared for that. That's what I do, and it has worked out very well for me. Elk hunting is a major learning experience and test of equipment. Some guys will tell you to buy the most expensive boot you can afford. BTDT, and so has my elk hunting partner. That doesn't guarantee you will have dry comfortable feet at the end of the night. You'll get a kick out of some of these guys' suggestions, so grab your popcorn.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SEMOmike: I sure enjoy and rely on my Danner Elk Hunters for my late season Elk Hunting.
I have a triple lifetime supply of these boots on hand as I bought them over the years at a discount source.
They are comfortable, give my ankles great support, and if treated properly are rather water proof and if treated properly last a long time - I am finding out.
My suggestion pay once - care for them and keep your feet accustomed to them.
I hope what ever boot you decide on works well for you and I hope your 10 day backcountry Elk is enjoyable and successful!
Let us know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Any 11.5 EE You were looking to get rid of?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I played around with military issue boots for some time and then tried Danners for a year or two. Last season was my first season in Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I should have made the jump to a better boot years ago. I would look at expenses and do what ever I had to do to get the best boot possible.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
-- Fred Bear
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Feet are different. But spend the money to get the best boots you can for your feet. I like the Kenetreks, alot. But they don't work for everybody. I would not hunt in either of those boots you listed. Get great boots and skimp on other stuff if you have to. You do not need thousands of sitka or kuiu either. I guide and hunt in Wyoming and spend lots on boots and then look for deals on everything else. STP, camofire, wrangler outdoor pants, Prana, spring sales on warm stuff. And look at other companies besides hunting brands.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I, along with several buddies, love Lowa GTX Renegades......comfortable, minimal break in, good support. Love em.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Feet are different. But spend the money to get the best boots you can for your feet. I like the Kenetreks, alot. But they don't work for everybody. I would not hunt in either of those boots you listed. Get great boots and skimp on other stuff if you have to. You do not need thousands of sitka or kuiu either. I guide and hunt in Wyoming and spend lots on boots and then look for deals on everything else. STP, camofire, wrangler outdoor pants, Prana, spring sales on warm stuff. And look at other companies besides hunting brands.

Good advice here. Spend extra on the boots,bag the high dollar camo monkey suits. I have killed a lot of big critters in cheap camo, or faded carhart sweat shirts.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SEMOmike: Nope mine are all 11's with normal width.
Good luck and again hold a garage sale or something to come up with the extra bucks to spend on a VERY good set of boots.
Again best of luck come fall.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns over 20 years ago. The wife had a come apart when I told her how much they were. (About $120.00). That's about $6 a year. Money well spent I think as they are still going strong.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My advice is to buy boots that fits your feet - then look at the price tag. It doesnt matter how much you saved or spent if they dont fit you. I guarantee if your feet blister up early in the hunt, you'll be done for the rest of the hunt and the rest of your gear will sit in camp. Boots to me are probably the most essential part of the gear choices because I've had feet issues. I'd rather have a walmart Savage 30-06 and a $500 pair of boots.

Finding elk requires you cover alot of ground. Elk hunting is one of those hunting activities where the amount of effort increases the odds. Finding elk requires alot of hiking up/down steep topography. Your feet are the key link between you and the ground - and success.

I would not be afraid to buy a used pair of top-line boots in excellent condition. I've bought more than a few pair boots, worn them 2-3-4 times and figure they aren't for me. I buy running shoes this way - floor models, returns, etc. I really dont care if Bubba tried them on or even wore them a couple times. I'll take the 50% savings because I go through running shoes and hiking boots pretty quick. I dont get a year from a pair of running shoes. Hiking boots are 12-18 months. Hunting boots last longer because I have 3 pairs that I rotate depending on weather.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don't overlook Meindl boots, I bought a pair for a very rugged country Mountain Goat hunt. They are a serious boot for hiking and hunting.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
BWinters hit the nail on the head.
I haven’t Elk hunted but look at the basics if the body isn’t comfortable to the conditions your I trouble.
And a Savage shoots as well as a Merkel or Kimber in the hands of a proficient shooter at a target the size of an Elk or moose.
Buy a better optic as well. A $700 Swarovski Z 3 is an excellent scope or other high quality scopes.

Last edited by abbydog; 03/02/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Go to your local REI and get fit for a good pair of hiking boots. Scarpa, Crispi etc. Pass on the military boots.

get a decent pair of gaiters at REI too. I rarely wear insulated boots even in snow and wear gaiters and two pair of socks. Pick up some BD flip lock aluminum hiking poles ( on sale now REI) . Or buy used ski poles for $10. They'll work fine.

I wear trail running shoes (altras) for early archery season while hunting. $60 on sale. Solomons are good too. I bring a good pair of hiking boots along for pack in and pack out.
Walmart wrangler nylon pants $20 work great. Pick up 2 wool t shirts. They're amazing and don't stink

Last edited by ribka; 03/02/20.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What he said.

Try on a bunch of brands. Took me a while to find the right boots. Don’t overlook insoles like Superfeet and good socks.

Skip the advice on multiple levels of insulated boots for a pack in bow elk hunt.

Originally Posted by Ralphie

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
‘Wish I would have tried Altras sooner.

Originally Posted by ribka
Go to your local REI and get fit for a good pair of hiking boots. Scarpa, Crispi etc. Pass on the military boots.

get a decent pair of gaiters at REI too. I rarely wear insulated boots even in snow and wear gaiters and two pair of socks. Pick up some BD flip lock aluminum hiking poles ( on sale now REI) . Or buy used ski poles for $10. They'll work fine.

I wear trail running shoes (altras) for early archery season while hunting. $60 on sale. Solomons are good too. I bring a good pair of hiking boots along for pack in and pack out.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They don't make the boots I wear anymore well Cabelas no longer carries them. Cabela Miendal Perfct hunters. Great boot, As stated already get the superfeet insoles and don't skimp on socks and get sock liners as well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
:LAPolicegear is running a big sale on boots, including Danner...Might be worth a look,

https://lapolicegear.com/?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display

Good luck with whatever you choose

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Spend your $$ on boots and glass. Do everything you can to make sure your boots are broken in before the hunt. I wore Danners for years and was happy. I made the switch to a pair of Schnees beartooths this year and I’m not looking back. A good friend tried a pair and didn’t like them at all and eventually switched to Kennetreks. Bottom line is you need to find boots that feel good to you and put some miles on them before your hunt. Good luck and take lots of pics!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Throwing down good coin for an excellent boot is always a safe bet... You’re probably going to use them more than just this one elk hunt.

Here’s some quick numbers. In 22 years, I’ve bought three pairs of Danner Canadian boots. They cost me between $165 on a crazy one off sale up to $359.00.

After 22 years. I’m still using 2 pairs of the Canadians. If the weather is pouring rain, I switch between a couple pairs allowing the wet boots to slow dry. I have invested $883 dollars. The boots cost me $40 dollars a year with basically a brand new pair still in the box.

If you buy a really good boot and take care of them, you’re money ahead. The only thing that can deflate your investment dollars is if your hunting in rough, rocky, shale or lava sharp terrain. I doubt there is a boot made that can withstand 2-3 season getting shredded by this type of topography.

Buy a great boot...Hunt them, take care of them, and if they are the type that can be rebuilt and resoled like the Danner Canadian. Your almost getting a new boot for $85 bucks once you’ve worn them out.

Buying 2 pairs of quality boots will increases the life of each pair, especially if your hunting climate is really wet...Being able to dry your boots properly while wearing the second pair is a benefit to your feet and your boots.

With the above said...I hunt all different types of topography. This off season I caught a sale on Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots. I liked them enough that I bought a second pair to keep for sometime in the future.

I prefer the Kenetrek boots for big prairie type hunting like in Wyoming. The sole on the Kenetrek’s are super slick when stepping on wet logs or rocks in the PNW rain forest.

I’ve yet to find a better all leather 100% water proof boot for rugged coastal hunting then Danner Canadian’s....Which are still one of the few boots Danner still makes in the USA.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.