Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Don't overlook Meindl boots, I bought a pair for a very rugged country Mountain Goat hunt. They are a serious boot for hiking and hunting.

I had tried a lot of different boots over the years, and finally got around to buying a pair of Meindls from Cabela's.....very comfortable and have held up well. Granted I don't to go Elk hunting much anymore, but they have worked well!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
863-4200 Thorogood Men's Veracity GTX Outdoor Boots https://g.co/kgs/EprgTP

Made a choice and bought these today for almost $100 off sticker price, love the company, US made. I’ll give a report after I’ve had a chance to walk around in them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It depends on the season and weather..

In the September archery or early wilderness hunts I've worn Solomon's, 6' high Walmart hiking boots, or White's Loggers -- but they are heavy. With the Solomon's, I'll wear 6" canvas gaiters.

In October before the snow gets deep I usually wear lightweight 9" Danners.

In November or when I know the snow will be deeper than a few inches I wear Lacrosse Mountaineers, with their air-bob sole.

If it's wet or snow covered, I'll wear mid-calf fleece gaiters.

Regardless of which boots I wear, I've never worn more than one pair of white cotton athletic socks under them.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My boot requirements are #1. They fit well, #2. Waterproof membrane, #3 Full Leather 8-10" tall uppers, #4 Full rubber rand. I've had Kenetreks, but they just don't fit my feet as well as Meindl. I was happy to see some folks from Cabelas go out on their own and start carrying Meindls after Cabelas quit doing so. My next will be from them or Lathrop and Sons, whom, IMO, make the best footbeds/insoles around.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Been through two pairs of Meidls through cabelas. first pair lasted, but my feet expanded and I sold them used. replaced with the Perfekt and really liked them. Used them about a week a year for 8 years. They started leaking badly last elk season. I returned them for a full refund and purchased Kenetrek. Equally or more comfortable and seem to be put together better. I have a partial season on them only at this point. Food for thought, the elk camp my brother hunts, every guide there wears Kenetrek.

Salmonhead
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I bring 2 pair of boots - a pair of 400 gram Pronghorns and a pair of Schnee Hunter Pac boots. It's nice tp have a pair of Pac boots if you get heavy rain or snow for a few days.

Last edited by Bill_N; 03/06/20.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Most Elk "Hunters" around here don't need Elk Hunting boots,

as they Road Hunt in the front seat of their diesel picks, with the big lift kit..

but the cam seat covers must help conceal them, from elk, because they all have those along with camo clothing from head to toe..

I often think, the noise from an idling diesel driving down forest service roads also make it hard to sneak up on anything...

Funny to see people get out of their trucks to take a whiz, all camo'ed up, and on their feet they are wearing flip flops..

guess its a west coast CA/ So Oregon thing....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
Most Elk "Hunters" around here don't need Elk Hunting boots,

as they Road Hunt in the front seat of their diesel picks, with the big lift kit..

but the cam seat covers must help conceal them, from elk, because they all have those along with camo clothing from head to toe..

I often think, the noise from an idling diesel driving down forest service roads also make it hard to sneak up on anything...

Funny to see people get out of their trucks to take a whiz, all camo'ed up, and on their feet they are wearing flip flops..

guess its a west coast CA/ So Oregon thing....

😀

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Keen boots have worked great for me. Get a pair of gators and you’re set.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've tried most of the top end boots and have settled on Crispi. Very comfortable, easy to break in, grippy bottoms and good support.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve had a couple of pair in rotation normally like the Mendl 800,s & some Cabela’s 800 leather as well for 3rd season rifle hunts but 10 miles is a big day for me average is closer to 6-8 mostly snow & muddy footing. Do wear gaiters in the snow.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,226
Posts18,466,576
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.