Print Thread
Hop To
T
Torqued Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My old 16ga ithica ftwt won't eject an empty,does fine with a live round. Had it apart for a good cleaning. Top and bottom ejectors and springs are intact and seem to be in working order. Any ideas ?

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Some brands are slightly longer with mt rounds try a different brand or you could modify ejection port. Had same issue on my model 12 in 16.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
JDG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Don't try to modify your gun unless you what to wreck it's value. 37's came out when shells were paper and empty paper cases are shorter than plastic ones. KK's right: try different brands or you can buy ($$) 16 ga in paper cases from RST. There are also a few companies making 2-5/8" shells for vintage guns, but they are more expensive than standard ammo.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Get a Mec 600 jr and load your own, I use the Herter Cheddite hulls cut down to 2 9/16" for my short chamber LCSmith dbl. leave the crimper alone just put a tyvech patch or over shot wad in on top before crimping. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Just to be clear - is it EXTRACTING the empty OK from the chamber and failing to EJECT it from the reciever? Or is it actually failing to EXTRACT from the chamber?

IC B2

T
Torqued Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
No problem guys. It will feed and eject a non fired shot shell. It will not eject a fired shot shell from the chamber. All other functions are fine. The shells I have on hand are Winchester super x gray box,#8's. I will grab something different when I go to town tomorrow and see if the shells are the problem.

Last edited by Torqued; 03/02/20.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Another possibility is to make sure you are pulling the fore end all the way back. You might be slightly short cycling it. I agree with the others and would put odds on it being slightly too long of fired shells and go with their recommendations to try shorter ones.

T
Torqued Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Damn, someone had to bring up short strok'n it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
If it won't extract a fired shell from the chamber your extractor may be worn down/dulled or the extractor spring is weak. You may need to replace the extractor and/or spring.

These guys specialize in Ithaca shotguns: Diamond Gunsmithing

T
Torqued Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I wondered if that might be the case MikeL2. I am going to town this afternoon,going to grab a box of different ammo and try it to rule out an ammo problem. If that don't cure the problem I will call Diamond. Don't have much in the old gun,so I can spend a few bucks on it.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
chamber may need cleaning/polish

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Certain 16 ga are longer than others by the way they are made and crimped try shorter ones, original paper shells would fit ejection port length, some new 16 ga are to long, don't overthink it.

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/10/20.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does the forend slide back leaving the shell in the chamber? Or is it locked closed?

Mine was locked up tight after a shot. I polished the chamber with some fine save paper on a dowel today in a drill. Zero issues 10 years later.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son's Model 37 had the same problem. Took it to my gunsmith, the gun needed to be disassembled and cleaned of all the powder residue that had built up in the receiver and he polished the chamber. Works fine since the complete cleaning and polishing 15 years ago. Every year I completely take apart my sporting clay O/U and complete clean the gun, it amazes me how much powder residue and burned powder flakes that get sucked back pass the firing pins and the underbite locking flange.over the course of a year and maybe 5000 rounds.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Torqued
No problem guys. It will feed and eject a non fired shot shell. It will not eject a fired shot shell from the chamber. All other functions are fine. The shells I have on hand are Winchester super x gray box,#8's. I will grab something different when I go to town tomorrow and see if the shells are the problem.

If you are using Winchester shells it is most unlikely the shell length. However it could be if the Winchester’s have steel heads, they are causing them to stick. Steel heads often don’t contract back to factory dimensions after firing. Make sure your shells have the old style brass looking heads, as some of the promo Winchester’s use steel heads.

The problem has nothing to do with the ejection port, so don’t go filing on it. Ithaca never had that issue. Nor does it sound like anything to do with short shucking.

Could be it needs a cleaning, but if more then here is your crew. They are the ones still making 37’s and will tune it up like new.

If it is not the heads, as Mike said the problem most likely has something to do with the extractor or its spring..

https://ithacagun.com/

Last edited by battue; 06/04/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.