Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Why is market volatility even a thing for anyone? If downs and ups scare you, then you shouldn't be in stocks. Invest in good companies and hold for the long-term. Profit is guaranteed. We're still probably twice as far ahead as we would be if Hillary had gotten elected. Why worry?

Why do you have to be scared to pull your money out downturns are opportunities too. You can increase buying power significantly in times like these. Money sitting on the sidelines during times like these is just as if not more valuable than money in the market during good times. Buy low sell high is the game. Letting it ride is a good way to get a 7-10% annual return over long term. However that comes with a ceiling.

You are considering yourself a better market timer than millions of other people out there, including professionals who do it for a living with the greatest technology on the planet. No one beats the market over time other than blind luck. Get in touch with Gamblers Anonymous.

Okay

GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
So you have been holding 10k on the sideline somewhere doing nothing for how long?

It is not statistically possible to beat the market average over time among a broad swath of people. In order to "buy at the bottom" means that one was holding cash on the sidelines somehow, and rarely does cash gain in value while parked. So by holding out for awhile, the investor lost their chance to buy MORE shares and ride them HIGHER, then able to hold on and ride down and back out again.

It's just math. Unless you're better than all the other people on average over time, but alas that's called narcissism, a most common trait among gamblers.

It apparently is not difficult to be better than the average of MOST other people over time.

I sure as hell am no gambler. I refuse to even buy a lottery ticket. The state takes a cut of every dollar that crosses the table.

I wish I had known twenty years ago what I know now. But I was not knowledgeable enough to recognize the bubble of 2000-2001.

I was young and just getting started with my 401 K. I had $60K in Putnam funds. I sat on the sidelines and watched it dwindle to $15K. I kept thinking "It'll come back. It'll come back". And it almost did by mid 2007.

2007 started looking like a bubble to me again, so I moved my funds (Prudential now) into stable value, where they sat safely through 2008 while my friends were crying about losing $thousands and $tens of thousands through the months.
Did I pick the highest moment in history to sell? Probably not. But I did not miss it by much.

Did I buy back into stocks at the absolute minimum in early 2009. No, but again, I did not miss it by much.

The bottom line is: Do I have more money in my accounts today because I recognized the signs of unsustainable growth and reacted to them? Absolutely.

Once again it has been easy to recognize the signs of unsustainable growth over the last year. A correction had to be coming. All it needed was a trigger. Economic slowdown in China is a hell of a trigger.

It did not take an Albert Einstein to know it was time to sell stocks by Feb 15 of '20.

Yes, I missed the peak by 2%. I should have put in the sell order for Friday instead of Monday the 24'th. But I sure as heck am not complaining. I will have a lot more cash with which to repurchase stocks in Nov, than if I had just "let it ride".

This is not gambling. This is just common sense.

Why wouldn't every other person be doing close to the same then? Especially large investors and stock fund managers? You're not seeing the forest for the trees. Did you ever think that maybe you just got lucky in timing 2007 rather than it being "uncommon" sense?

Those large investors and fund managers did so. Otherwise there would have been no recession.

Just as they have been doing this last week.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well it looks like cotton might be a good bet because the estimates on acreage planted this year is down at least 9-10% for total.

If it can make it past global warming it should be nice.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Paddler
Originally Posted by mirage243
Pretty funny that Trump initially blamed the selloff on the Democratic debate. Now Donnie Jr is saying on Fox that the Dems are hoping that the virus comes here and kills millions of people so we can get rid of Trump. Sorry, that's just weird. Now that Pence is "in charge" I feel a whole lot better.

I don't know where the bottom is. The virus seems to be on the upswing, so I expect the markets will continue to fall in the near term. We're down about 11% so far on our investments, but luckily have enough in checking to live comfortably for several years. Being debt free is nice.

You'd probably bounce a 20 dollar check.

Uh oh, you got me. My wife writes the checks around here. Guessing you're a dumbass cracker, which means you're a Trumper. Good luck with that.

"wife'? ha ha. Does your tranny know you call him that? Guarantee you play the"bottom bish" in that relationship

Id pay a $100 to see Piddles call Jim fat to his face.

I didn't call poor Jim fat. I just asked him if he was morbidly obese, which is the medical term for a BMI>40, or just regular obese, BMI>30. He has to be one or the other, given that he's a fat, stupid POS.

This Covid 19 will be interesting to watch, especially with Pence in charge. I feel so much better. I'm down about $440 K since 2/17, can't wait for tomorrow. What, me worry? Pence will save me.

Last edited by Paddler; 03/01/20.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Monday morning should be tell us a lot.

Looks like a possible sizable outbreak in Washington , so I expect a a$$ wippin is coming next week.

Hmmmm.....The market seems to be speaking.
It's just one day so who knows?

FJB & FJT
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pretty funny that Trump initially blamed the selloff on the Democratic debate. Now Donnie Jr is saying on Fox that the Dems are hoping that the virus comes here and kills millions of people so we can get rid of Trump. Sorry, that's just weird. Now that Pence is "in charge" I feel a whole lot better.

I don't know where the bottom is. The virus seems to be on the upswing, so I expect the markets will continue to fall in the near term. We're down about 11% so far on our investments, but luckily have enough in checking to live comfortably for several years. Being debt free is nice.

Uh oh, you got me. My wife writes the checks around here. Guessing you're a dumbass cracker, which means you're a Trumper. Good luck with that.

"wife'? ha ha. Does your tranny know you call him that? Guarantee you play the"bottom bish" in that relationship

I didn't call poor Jim fat. I just asked him if he was morbidly obese, which is the medical term for a BMI>40, or just regular obese, BMI>30. He has to be one or the other, given that he's a fat, stupid POS.

This Covid 19 will be interesting to watch, especially with Pence in charge. I feel so much better. I'm down about $440 K since 2/17, can't wait for tomorrow. What, me worry? Pence will save me.

I've seen you post you where down 11% else where. If that equals $440K that means you would have over $4 million invested in stock market. Only an idiot wouldn't of had that better managed to lose that much with what has been going on in past month. An idiot or a keyboard liar. The amount of money that should have been made in the last three years compared to the disaster of the eight years preceding has made you a rich man thanks to Trump. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Wow.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I thought with certainty the market would be down today, I was clearly wrong.

Though I'm thinking dead cat bounce with the spike today.

I planned on buying VXUS and bought 8 shares today, I don't have enough international so it works out well it's near 52wk lows.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

I've seen you post you where down 11% else where. If that equals $440K that means you would have over $4 million invested in stock market. Only an idiot wouldn't of had that better managed to lose that much with what has been going on in past month. An idiot or a keyboard liar. The amount of money that should have been made in the last three years compared to the disaster of the eight years preceding has made you a rich man thanks to Trump. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Wow.

Trump is taking credit for Obama's economy. Trump never, ever has done anything remotely positive for anybody but himself. Can't, because he's too stupid. The stock market increases have maintained the trend established by the later years under Obama. The tax cuts have made a contribution, also, but at the cost of blowing up the deficit.

I maintain a high percentage of my investments in index funds, and will for the foreseeable future. I'm okay with volatility, up 4% today. Doing just fine, thanks.

Last edited by Paddler; 03/02/20.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Trump is taking credit for Obama's economy. Trump never, ever has done anything remotely positive for anybody but himself. Can't, because he's too stupid. The stock market increases have maintained the trend established by the later years under Obama. The tax cuts have made a contribution, also, but at the cost of blowing up the deficit.

I maintain a high percentage of my investments in index funds, and will for the foreseeable future. I'm okay with volatility, up 4% today. Doing just fine, thanks.

Obama "Unless he's got a magic wand, those jobs are never coming back."
Well, I didn't see Trump waving a magic wand, but looks like the economy took off and the jobs are coming back, no thanks to Obama's positive Democratic take on things. Eight years and absolutely nothing done to improve life for the average working man during eight years under Obama's Democratic reign.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Paddler, nobody as fuqking dumb as you has 4 million in the stock market, you lying sack of sheit.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Obama "Unless he's got a magic wand, those jobs are never coming back."
Well, I didn't see Trump waving a magic wand, but looks like the economy took off and the jobs are coming back, no thanks to Obama's positive Democratic take on things. Eight years and absolutely nothing done to improve life for the average working man during eight years under Obama's Democratic reign.

Wrong.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Paddler, nobody as fuqking dumb as you has 4 million in the stock market, you lying sack of sheit.

You're right. That was a rough estimate, the total is a fair amount more. Just didn't want to make y'all feel bad. But I will point out that my success is because I base my decisions on facts and good information. I don't listen to Fox, Hannity, Rush (may he RIP), as doing so is bad for your physical, mental and financial health. Remember, Rush is the one that denied a link between smoking and cancer. Joke's on him, especially since the link was proven in the 1950's.

Last edited by Paddler; 03/03/20.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

No one doubts that. He is a lying Russian troll.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

This Paddler broad is probably married to a Nigerian prince.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

This Paddler broad is probably married to a Nigerian prince.

Are you assuming her gender laugh

It looks like yesterday's rally was a dead cat bounce ... meow . Hang on to your hats.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.