Print Thread
Hop To
#14625576 03/02/20
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Looks like Montana rifle co has closed their doors. I know alot of y'all don't like them, but they sure were good for southpaws. I wanted to buy one in 300RUM. Damn

Last edited by CarolinaPanther; 03/02/20.
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yup, looked into getting a rifle from them 2 months ago and found out they were done, that's why I ended up ordering 2 from Shaw

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This is bad news even though I was not a real fan of their rifles.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Shot themselves in the foot then wondered why they were limping around

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good riddance.

IC B2

B
B
According to the press release, they are looking for investors to help them restructure. Who knows, maybe someone willl come along and turn a good idea into a decent gun company.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, that explains why they wouldn't answer my emails sent out shortly before this announcement.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
At one time I was looking at buying a left hand rifle from them, then after I read some of the negative reviews I started looking at some other rifle companies.

NEVER GIVE UP
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There's a dealer here in OKC who has quite few lefty rifles in inventory.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Well, that explains why they wouldn't answer my emails sent out shortly before this announcement.

I doubt that had anything to do with why they wouldn't answer your emails. It's probably the other way around. I'm sure they had to close their doors because their customer service was so bad.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
quote=ammoman16]I doubt that had anything to do with why they wouldn't answer your emails. It's probably the other way around. I'm sure they had to close their doors because their customer service was so bad.[/quote]

That's the problem.

I've watched this company with interest since they first came out with the Model 1999 action intended as the basis for a fine custom gun. They had a great idea although it was funny watching people complain about things the company not only clearly stated but emphasized every chance they got.

MRC: "This action is supplied in the rough, it will need final finishing by your gunsmith. Get it? Understand? It's in the rough.".
Customer upon receiving action: "Hey, WTF? This action is in the rough?!"

That said, they could make a good barrel and when they got it right could make a good action and a good rifle.

Unfortunately they never could get their sh*t together to produce and support a consistently high quality product. One and only one guy there was really on the ball but apparently everyone else there was incompetent, lazy or both and committed the further sin of denying their incompetence and trying to cover it up. My communications and experience sending my rifle back twice for the same problem, which was never resolved, was a series of people dropping the ball and blaming others.

"Oh, you haven't had a reply from us? I told so-and-so to get right back to you. Didn't he do that?"

Not a time to celebrate their demise since I always hate to see a company go under, and they were very good to left handers, but for whatever reason the people they hired just weren't up to snuff to produce and deliver a high quality firearm.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
That would be Jerry Noblin.

Everyone tends to forget MRC started out as a supplier of "gunsmith ready" CRF actions (and barrels), sort of like the "95% inletted" stocks Fajen and Bishop used to sell. The actions still required a substantial amount of labor to be functional and that disappointed a lot of people who wanted something they could simply attach to a barrel, drop in a stock, and head to the range. (There were also delivery issues that appear to have been exaggerated.) It doesn't seem like they quite closed the loop on that.

None of this bothered me when I bought a left-handed CM 0.473" bolt face action from them in the fall of 2006 for $460. The gunsmith who built the resulting 7mm-08, Mark Penrod, wasn't quite as enthusiastic. The action was so rough and required so much additional labor to feed and function correctly that he called this out on a separate line item on the final invoice. He still brings this up when we talk. (The rifle feeds and shoots just fine now, but it was frustrating for him to get it there.)

With that knowledge, it was difficult for me to take MRC seriously as a rifle manufacturer and the cost increase of the bare actions turned me away as well.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Mark Penrod is a better than average smith.

Having had a couple of MRC that were simply put together was left disappointed by the MRC and their dismal customer service.

I would have been better off starting with a Ruger, if its not right Ruger tends to make it right.

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/03/20.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ammoman16
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I doubt that had anything to do with why they wouldn't answer your emails. It's probably the other way around. I'm sure they had to close their doors because their customer service was so bad.

They were very quick to answer an email a month before.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have #34 and two more.

I am a claw extractor junkie and being left handed that was a blessing when I found them a long time ago.

Only problem I ever had was a weak firing pin spring. I will not part with the three I have. I have one that rivals a custom FN Belgium I have from the 50's.

Hate to see them in a bind.

Trust everyone but brand all your calves.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
That would be Jerry Noblin.

Everyone tends to forget MRC started out as a supplier of "gunsmith ready" CRF actions (and barrels), sort of like the "95% inletted" stocks Fajen and Bishop used to sell. The actions still required a substantial amount of labor to be functional and that disappointed a lot of people who wanted something they could simply attach to a barrel, drop in a stock, and head to the range. (There were also delivery issues that appear to have been exaggerated.) It doesn't seem like they quite closed the loop on that.

None of this bothered me when I bought a left-handed CM 0.473" bolt face action from them in the fall of 2006 for $460. The gunsmith who built the resulting 7mm-08, Mark Penrod, wasn't quite as enthusiastic. The action was so rough and required so much additional labor to feed and function correctly that he called this out on a separate line item on the final invoice. He still brings this up when we talk. (The rifle feeds and shoots just fine now, but it was frustrating for him to get it there.)

With that knowledge, it was difficult for me to take MRC seriously as a rifle manufacturer and the cost increase of the bare actions turned me away as well.

Yes. He's a good guy. Had a standing order with MRC but not sure what he'll do to replace them now. The guns he has on gunbroker offer a free RSA Safari with the purchase of a MRC rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ammoman16
Good riddance.

laugh Can't blame ya for that...

But it is a shame that company couldn't get their [bleep] together. Baffling really.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.