-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm still trying to remember a single picture of a blown up Ruger action. Super stout. I'm sure it can happen, maybe has happened but I can't remember seeing on anywhere on the forums.

Me

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by devnull
I had heard that Remington 700 receivers that started with the serial number 'F' used cast receivers.

No sir, they are still machined from barstock. I'm sure not afraid if a quality cast receiver though.

I thought 700 receivers were made from Seamless tubing rather than bar stock??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
interesting on Ruger cast receivers. They gave the Palma team 20 IIRC, hand built Palma rifles off the 77s. IIRC only a couple out of the 20 were accurate enough to use. Personally I think it was not the cast issue but the fact they probably didn't go through and true them all up and take the time to put em together correctly. Making a heavy barrel 308 shoot is not rocket science generally.

I've seen some 77s shoot really good though. I hate the diagonal bedding screw though, but it is what it is. I try to avoid em like the plague. Never owned one. But I've had to work on a lot of em to get em to accurate. But like I said once you worked on them they were pretty accurate.

My only Ruger rifle now is a 10-22 with so many parts replaced its a receiver only... and a Ruger 1.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIRC... Shilo Sharps and Freedom Arms are both made from cast, but strength was not the question of the OP.

Those old single shot shotguns were cast... cast iron (ductile cast iron).

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had heard that Remington 700 receivers that started with the serial number 'F' used cast receivers.

No sir, they are still machined from barstock. I'm sure not afraid if a quality cast receiver though.

Butch,
I realize they're still machined from barstock. Contact them and ask if they ever tried casting with 'F' serial numbers.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Butch,
I realize they're still machined from barstock. Contact them and ask if they ever tried casting with 'F' serial numbers.

Not doubting you but curious why they would as it seems it would be more expensive than machining round stock to get a cylindrical receIver?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rost495
interesting on Ruger cast receivers. They gave the Palma team 20 IIRC, hand built Palma rifles off the 77s. IIRC only a couple out of the 20 were accurate enough to use. Personally I think it was not the cast issue but the fact they probably didn't go through and true them all up and take the time to put em together correctly. Making a heavy barrel 308 shoot is not rocket science generally.

I've seen some 77s shoot really good though. I hate the diagonal bedding screw though, but it is what it is. I try to avoid em like the plague. Never owned one. But I've had to work on a lot of em to get em to accurate. But like I said once you worked on them they were pretty accurate.

My only Ruger rifle now is a 10-22 with so many parts replaced its a receiver only... and a Ruger 1.

I would not doubt it. In Stuart Ottesons book he mentions ruger receivers being beat with hammers to straighten them up enough to be usable.
To me Rugers have as always been cheap looking, crude recievers.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Wow...I think they are beautiful. I love their scope mounting system and 1 piece bolt design. I don't like the fact that the extractor tongues are not undercut...one of the most important features of CRF...and I dont care for the saftey. That being said...i like em but dont own any. Best of the domestics IMHO.

GOD Bless America
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Quak
Wow...I think they are beautiful. I love their scope mounting system and 1 piece bolt design. I don't like the fact that the extractor tongues are not undercut...one of the most important features of CRF...and I dont care for the saftey. That being said...i like em but dont own any. Best of the domestics IMHO.

If they didn't have that angled front screw - I think the world would have exploded with them. Just doesn't leave a lot of aftermarket stock options.

Me

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I think there are a lot of guys out there with "Ruger Derangement Syndrome". Ruger is one of the most under rated gun manufacturers around. They have done an excellent job of putting a strong, accurate and reliable firearm in the hands of sportsman at a price most can afford. I am not much for push feed bolt actions, but I even have a Ruger American in 300 Blackout. Probably the most accurate rifle I have owned.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by BWalker

I would not doubt it. In Stuart Ottesons book he mentions ruger receivers being beat with hammers to straighten them up enough to be usable.
To me Rugers have as always been cheap looking, crude recievers.

The issue with the Ruger Palma rifles wasn't there accuracy per se, it was that the rifles and the ammo were delivered to the team very late and there was a an accuracy issue stemming from the COAL of the ammo and the rifles throating. It wouldn't have been a big deal to rectify but time was so short as the Rifles were delivered right as the practice sessions were starting. There was no time to work thru the issue and so most of the team members decided to run the practice sessions and then the match with their own rifles. I know that at least one of the team members went on to shoot other matches matches with the Ruger rifle and had no problem with its accuracy.

The receivers for the ruger palma rifles weren't even really M77s, when you look at the rifle the action is extended forward ostensibly to support the heavy palma barrel and they have a straight not angled screw and the trigger assembly is not the standard M77 Trigger. Obviously the actions were custom made and I don't know if they were cast or forged. certainly neither of the two I have inspected has purpled as do many of the original M77s do.

Using the Ruger Pamla rifles to say anything about production M77s let alone MKII/Hawkeyes is misleading

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I am human. I stand corrected here. I just know that not many wanted to use them and it was something about not shooting right, I took that to mean not accurate.

At least we know the real story now I assume rather than what bits of info my old brain drug up.

Though one team member vs the rest... you would think they would oblige if free rifles but I know how picky I can be too. Interesting about the non angle bedding screw. Wonder what that means in reality?

COAL. My God time must have been short, it takes not much to reseat bullets IF you know the depth...but again I'm sure its not part of the whole story.

Thanks. Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Investment casting, using the lost wax process, to produce firearms parts, may not have been pioneered by Ruger but it was certainly perfected by them. Other companies also used the process. Dan Wesson, Uberti, and a host of others. Most of Martin Hagn's fine single shot rifles start life as a casting.
I've worked a bit with Rugers of all types. I LIKE the angled guard screw on the 77 and, while I might not like every aspect of every design, on the whole, they make sound, reliable guns of all types. WH

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Larry Racine 'smithed and shot some of those Rugers Palma rifles. He has one listed for sale on his site.

www.lprgunsmith.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I lived in Hanover, NH, from 1986 thru 1990, I frequented Rody's Gun Shop in Newport, NH. Rody's is almost across the street, NH Route 103, from Ruger's Pine Tree Castings manufacturing plant and, at that time, they did the employee transfers for Ruger. I met a bunch of people who worked for Ruger and got some interesting Ruger stuff, including a blue wax bolt and a blue wax receiver. Neat stuff for collecting dust on a shelf.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Larry Racine 'smithed and shot some of those Rugers Palma rifles. He has one listed for sale on his site.

www.lprgunsmith.com

Must be the absolute rarity. Thats not nearly 8500 of gun IMHO.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

www.lprgunsmith.com

Must be the absolute rarity. Thats not nearly 8500 of gun IMHO.

I wouldn't give $8,500 for it either, but it is one of very, very, few.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

In theory the built in scope vases and factory rings are a good idea. Given the actions are not very true, it's not. To say they are the best of the domestics is a huge stretch. They are cheaply cast, the bolts cycle very rough, some generations had absolutely chit barrels and the bottom metal, volt handle and the shape of the action looks like crap. I'd take a Winchester over one any day of the week or a Remington 700 for that matter.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by BWalker

In theory the built in scope vases and factory rings are a good idea. Given the actions are not very true, it's not. To say they are the best of the domestics is a huge stretch. They are cheaply cast, the bolts cycle very rough, some generations had absolutely chit barrels and the bottom metal, volt handle and the shape of the action looks like crap. I'd take a Winchester over one any day of the week or a Remington 700 for that matter.

I like the Ruger rifles. The fact that they have found a way to manufacture them cheaply does not mean that the quality isn’t there. Ruger puts excellent barrels on their rifles these days ( last 25 years ) and they tend to shoot very well. I think the barrels rate as well as any NA manufacturer.

Gross scope alignment problems are something I haven’t been a witness to but it is a possibility with any manufacturer. Bedding scope rings is something that the layman rifle owner can and should do with any ring design imo.

The actions smooth up in a reasonable amount of time and just plain work. The only thing I don’t care for is the 3rd action screw and triggers need a bit of work it seems.

As someone who used to trophy hunt, I found the m77/Hawkeye very appealing as they were reasonably accurate, reasonably weighted, pointed and balanced well but more importantly would go “bang” every effing time. Nothing worse than your rifle not going bang when you need it to. Imo that is more important than how they appear aesthetically. After all , hunting is not a fashion contest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've owned close to 40 Ruger 77s and Hawkeyes over the past 39 years and still have the second one that I purchased, a 77R in 257AI that I bought at Pat's Pawn & Gun in Ogden, KS, in 1982. Some years ago I was guilted into donating the first Ruger 77 that I bought, a 77R in 7x57, to a church sponsored mission in Malawi.

I like mannlicher-style stocks and Ruger is the only large U.S. manufacturer that has continuously cataloged rifles with mannlicher-style stocks since they introduced the 77RSI in 1982. Ruger has made the only stainless rifles with mannlicher-style stocks that I'm aware of, the non-cataloged runs that they've made for Lipsey's.

When I lived in NH, I got to know a few people who either worked for Ruger, or who had previously worked for Ruger, and they all took pride in their work and the products that they made.

EDIT: I have had 2 Ruger 77s that wouldn't shoot, a 77 RSI in 243 and a 77 R in 257 Roberts. The 243 never would shoot, but when I had it rebored/rechambered to 260 it shot fine. I have another 77 RSI in 243 that is only 6 serial numbers away and it shoots fine. The 257 had a very long throat and even though the rifle was built on a long action, most bullets weighing under 115 grains couldn't be seated far enough out to come close to the rifling.. I rebarrreled it as a 25-284 with a 24" Douglas barrel that was throated to SAAMI specs.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 03/28/20. Reason: Added comment
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 51 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.