Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I was and am a big fan of tha Sig, but after getting a S&W M&P 2.0 the Sig guards the safe. Check out the M&P.

I'm 70 and just got my S&W M-P 40 and like it.

I just shot both my 6906 (9mm) and the 40 S-W on the same day. The 40 does have a LITTLE more recoil but I didn't notice it UNTIL shooting off a rest.

My vote is M-P 40. Sweet.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I should add that he does have a shorter barreled shotgun for home defense as well. He decided to move on from his .41 mag revolver and get into something different. He also has a concealed size handgun but I think that is mostly for his wife.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I will look into all of the options mentioned and see if we can see some, and maybe even shoot some at our local range. I will try and throw some revolvers in as well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pretty damn good article as I've read in a long while. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Woodhits

a 70 year old that has never experienced being under fire is not a good person to have to depend on getting into action fast.. most of you guys voicing your opinion without any experience would not last for 2 seconds in a bad situation under fire... I pulled my time in vietnam. get real or get DEAD...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If he’s dead set on a) a handgun and b) a semi-auto, I would stick with a 9mm. If hand strength is or might become an issue the S&W Shield EZ is designed to be easy to rack- I out several hundred rounds through one recently and came away impressed.

I checked the EZ out a few days ago. Trying to get Mrs Blacktailer interested in one (a 380). BTW, all of my CC and house guns have lasers. Makes accurate shooting easy.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 03/04/20.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I actually did an evaluation last year of what would be my bedside gun. Formally I just took off my Glock 26 and changed the mag to a 17 and put it in the drawer. I decided that wasn't the best option of the handguns I have,

I checked several of my full size guns. I tossed out the 1911, round count is too low. I did natural point with one and two hands, from standing to sitting to laying on my back while in bed. I did 6 round recoil management drills one handed and two handed.

The results fell solidly to my XD Mod.2 5 inch 45acp. I keep it with 12 in the mag and one in the pipe. All Federal HST 230 grains loads.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am in my 70s now and use Grocks for carry guns, usually a G19 in 9X19. In a home defense gun it is just as easy to go with a full size pistol with red dot sights. Pretty easy to find a G17 to shoot at one of the ranges that rents guns so your Dad can try before buying.

I would stay away from trade-in 40 S&Ws as being potential kabooms. When I tried a .40 carry gun I found them to be very snappy in recoil too...

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Gee no mention of the Springfield Hellcat... yeah it’s compact, but they hold 11 - 13 rounds vs. my shields 7-8... yikes

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Glock 19 or the Glock 45 (like the 19x but not FDE). Great options with premium ammo and a rail mounted light. That's all he needs.

Just my 2 cents.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Hubert

a 70 year old that has never experienced being under fire is not a good person to have to depend on getting into action fast.. most of you guys voicing your opinion without any experience would not last for 2 seconds in a bad situation under fire... I pulled my time in vietnam. get real or get DEAD...

Anybody firing under pressure the first time is not a good person to depend on getting into action fast. I think it's pretty safe to say that every first timer is gonna hesitate, my self included. Once the target become's a living person, no matter how bad, I believe most will hesitate the first time.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you are looking for a quality pistol for under $500 take a look at the Beretta APX, you can get them for $329. I have a full APX in flat dark earth but you can also get them in black. It's a very good pistol and at that price I don't think anything can touch it for quality and value.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by dSmith_45

OP:

How is your father's grip strength? Something like the S&W Shield EZ or Walther CCP would be easier to rack the slide on.

Racking the slide is definitely something that needs to be considered. He does have trouble with some pistol slides, so one that is easier to slide would be best.

For Home Defense - Why have to pull the slide ? Mine is Loaded, Cocked, Locked, HOT and ready !!

It stays by my pillow.... When kids are coming I put it UP. Back on the bed table when they're gone.
When you need it.... you need it. NO fumbling.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 03/05/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I picked up a police trade-in M&P 9mm full sized gun a few years ago. It works every time, and it was cheap, with 3 magazines, . Shop around and try to find one, they fit most hands well, are fairly priced, and reliable. The night sights have gone dim on mine, but one of these days, I'll get around to replacing them.

The gun doesn't have much character, I didn't buy it for that. It IS reliable, though, it was inexpensive, and it came with an extra magazine that saved me $$$$. I can't fuss about it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wifey has a Glock 9mm. It’s good to shoot. My son in law installed Speed Sights on it. They are amazing sights!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 03/04/20.
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Whatever he feels comfortable with. Maybe a S&W SW9VE or similar? 16 shots, fair trigger, feeds most anything. He has to shoot it a bit to be confident. Back in the day, we trained with M-16s and CAR-15s with the carry handle sight cut off and the front sight chopped off just above the gas tube. Also with 1911s and various other handguns with sights ground off. You have to be one with your weapon in the dark or close quarters under stress to put rounds on target. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Sig P365

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by WAM
Whatever he feels comfortable with. Maybe a S&W SW9VE or similar? 16 shots, fair trigger, feeds most anything. He has to shoot it a bit to be confident. Back in the day, we trained with M-16s and CAR-15s with the carry handle sight cut off and the front sight chopped off just above the gas tube. Also with 1911s and various other handguns with sights ground off. You have to be one with your weapon in the dark or close quarters under stress to put rounds on target. Happy Trails

That's a lame gun. The improved version was a SD9VE. I prefer that one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by WAM

That's a lame gun. The improved version was a SD9VE. I prefer that one.

Maybe so. Mine has never had a FTF.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the 1911 for home defense. And sometimes for carry too.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recommend a revolver. Less can go wrong on a revolver. I have a Smith 638 that holds +P loads in it.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 163bc, 68 invisible), 2,243 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,734
Posts18,457,547
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.