Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
Unfortunately im not impressed with my experience with 180 partitions.

Meaning what? Please quantify this statement.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Prepare yourself for execution via a dull butter knife...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI

LOL.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Brad

LOL.

grin

Hunting WT's, hogs and such, try lighter NPT's and push them faster.

I just loaded 150 NPT's over a max dose of H-4895 for a hunting bud. That powder is great in the '06, as are a bunch of others, including BG.

130 gr. Honrady SP (not the varmint version) is a great WT bullet at 3K+ fps for our local WT's. Good exits, blood flow and impressive internal destruction, mostly DRT's.

So, unless I'm hunting bigger stuff, I prefer light and fast.

DF

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
165/168 Ballistic Tips will get it done near and far.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Midway Seconds are usually the best priced bullets, usually beat SPS prices.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020756911?pid=166606

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For many years I loaded 150 grain Ballistic Tips for several friends' 308s. The dead deer never complained about lack of killing power. I personally used 180 grain Hornady spire points back in the late 1970s and early 1980s in my Remington Model 742 308. No complaints from those dead deer, either.

These days, I'm shooting 180 grain Sierras - both round nose and spitzers - in a cheap Savage Axis rifle now, along with Barnes 175 grain LRX bullets. All three shoot great. I will take the 180 grain round nose ammo to the Catskills next November. If I just had to take that "beater" Savage to Colorado, I would use the LRX load.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by szihn
Dancing Bear, it's Interesting you should mention the 150 grain Winchester Power Point.

Many year ago when I was shooting a lot of 30-06 and 308 in M-1 Garand, M-14 and FALs I bought (if memory is correct)16,000 of them from Black Hills. I found them to shoot to the calibrations of the issue sights and they were about 2X and in some guns 3X more accurate then most FMJ Ball ammo. I did kill a few deer with them, but mostly I simply loaded ammo for my match and fun shooting for all my 30 cal military rifles. I am almost out of them now.
But 5 years ago I was with my wife and a few of our friends on an elk hunt and I had thrown in my Mossberg MVP rifle as an "extra' so we'd have one more gun in camp. As it turned out we got into an area where the elk were not moving and in our hunting we'd seen them over on the far horizons from our position, so we all decided to move the camp over about 5 miles, but you had to "go around" to get to the place we wanted to set up the new camp so we threw all the stuff into out 3 trucks and drove around the mountains to get over on the other side. We all had gun cases for our main rifles and for a stupid and non-thinking reason, we put them into the trucks first and laid all the camp gear over the folded tents and drove over. We thought we'd be there in less then an hour. The MVP with it's long magazine didn't firt a case and has a plywood stock, so I never bother to case it and it ended up on the top of the pile, last thing thrown in before we left to relocate the camp.
Well guess what......... We get about half way there and jump out a heard of elk about 75 in number and all the rifles except the MVP are buried on the bottom of the pile. The MVP uses the same magazines as an M14 and those old M14 mags were all loaded with my ammo from the old days with 150 grain Win P.Ps. So I and my wife jump out of the rig and get after them. I drop my 2 cows and hand the rifle off to her, she kills her remaining cow for that year, and we give the rifle to our friends who go after the elk and cut them off about 1/2 mile up and they kill their elk (20 rounds in that mag was a blessing that time because all the extra ammo was also on the bottom of the pile in the 4Runner)
We filled every elk tag we had in about 5 minutes.

As a rule, in my experience 150 grain lead core 30-06s, 300 mags and 308s do not exit elk. Well most of the WW points did. I butchered all those elk myself and I recovered only 2 bullets. I have them on my mantel piece right now. One weighs 131 grains and one weight 129 grains, and BOTH of those 2 bullet broke large bone which is why I assume they didn't exit. The total of hits on those 5 elk were 9 rounds and of the 9, 7 went clear through and exited. WAY better performance then I expected from a 150 grain lead core bullet on elk. And with recovered weights of 131 and 129 grains, I have to say the performance of those 2 bullets was the full equal of any Partition I ever used. Not bad for bullet that cost me only about 6 cents each in theers than I have killed myself. I have seen a lot shot with 30-06s and quite a few with 308s and 300 mags. Yet for body shots with 150 grain leadcore 30 cal bullets I don't think I have EVER seen a Remington Corelokt, a Sierra, a Federal Power Shock, a Hornady or a Speer bullet exit an elk, but 7 of the 9 WW Power Points did. Up until that hunt I just assumed the PP bullets were about the same as everyone else's 150s. Of the 9 shots fired some were not perfectly placed, yet the penetration was so good that they still got through and hit vitals and left exits.

So I can't say this is definitive information, but it certainly was enough to get me to have a far higher degree of respect for the old plain vanilla 150 grain Power Point bullets made by Winchester.

I've heard a couple of stories like that and have heard other people say what a good bullet for the money a PP was. I've killed a few whitetail with them and never gave it much thought. Sometimes the most mundane simple designs just get it right.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Esox357: Go with the wonderful 165 grain Nosler Partition!
Period.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
i use 150gr Partition Golds.Have yet to recover a single one.

George

How many do you have left?

I was so sold on that bullet in its Moly coated form. I had worked up loads in my 280 JDJ & had taken a couple of big Axis with it. I was impressed & then depressed when they took it off the market.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Yeah, the 165 Partition is a dandy bullet in my 308 as well.
For next year, I'm going to start working with Sierra 165 GameChangers. Must be the Loony in me coming out.

There are no bugs on any of my .308 loads. Most shoot pretty well.

I hope everyone is having a good day.

We don't get very many elk down here in south Georgia :), but the Gamechanger has held up very well on large hogs, all purposely shot on the shoulder.. Very accurate bullet and it certainly passes muster down here. The Partition still remains just about perfect in my opinion

Thanks Jorge
I just ordered some more bullets from Powder Valley.
They were Gamechangers. PV had them on sale. .308 165 grain.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 03/18/20.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teeder

Meaning what? Please quantify this statement.

Meaning the lack of penetration in a 180 lb boar from a 3006 and couldnt get a pass through on 2 pigs i shot at distances under 50 yards. I had to shoot it again at point blank and it stilldidnt penetrate. Ive shot 165 bt and 165 btsp and have gotten pass throughs at 200 yards on similar size game. They didnt work for me.

A
AMB Offline
A
If I were to go elk hunting this fall or whenever, I would use my 308win with a Speer 180gr Mag-Tip.
I have no elk experience with any bullet, but that is what I would use. They shoot well in my rifle with a dose of RL15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AMB
If I were to go elk hunting this fall or whenever, I would use my 308win with a Speer 180gr Mag-Tip.
I have no elk experience with any bullet, but that is what I would use. They shoot well in my rifle with a dose of RL15.

Welcome to The Campfire!
I have found RL-15 to work very well.
Wishing you the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a 165 bear claw on my one 308 elk.

My daughter has killed a cow and two 6 point bulls with 150 fusion federal factory load. All three were dead on the ground inside of 40 yards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I used a 165 bear claw on my one 308 elk.

My daughter has killed a cow and two 6 point bulls with 150 fusion federal factory load. All three were dead on the ground inside of 40 yards.

Some might complain, didn't have a good blood trail. Dead in 40 yards. Good stuff!

Ralphie
Wishing you and your family the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Regardless of the brand, size, type or speed, bullet placement TRUMPS every thing else. Thanks Daniel

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’d be curious to see what powder most on here use for the .308

Low speed, high drag
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use mostly varget, thinking about trying re 15.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Reloder 15 for some older loads and Ramshot TAC for most new loads.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.