Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
A Day at the Races (1937), a film featuring the Marx Bros. Or,
A Day at the Races (1976), an album by those British rockin' holers, Queen.

I have always believed that a bad day at the range, isn't. 'Cause we all know that when things aren't going well at the range, it sure beats being at work (whatever that is)...

Today was a lovely day...if you were a snowman, or a professional icicle maker. It wasn't too cold, minus 4 Celsius (or 25 Foreignheat), but the wind was gusting up to 40 mph, and that made it feel like I was visiting the in laws, north of Sudbury.

The purpose of today's trip was to fireform some cases in my 223 Wylde chamber. I intend to reload them using the various die sets I talked about in another thread. Of the 198 in the box, I only managed to shoot 50 because of the weather. The loads I put together were reminiscent of when I was in the service, shooting the fodder they gave us. There were a few ways we described it.

It's not much good. Just shoot and salute.
Pray and spray. (or vice versa - Spray and pray)
F!!kin sh!!t! F!!kin Sh!!t!
Do they really hate us that much? laugh

The 223 load was a 55 gr. Cam Pro bullet (yuck) over 24.3 gr. of WC735. This is a surplus powder obtained from Higginsons. OAL of 2.26 inches. I have never shot this particular combination before and accuracy was unimportant.Good thing. It was awful. I just needed the fired cases. Here is the box of cartridges, for those that like pix of same.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I shot two 25 shot targets. 5.25 inches was the best I could manage. Some of that might have been the numbing of my fingers, but considering the bullets, it likely didn't make much difference. crazy This is what it looked like.

Because I like to leave the range on a positive note, after finishing with the 223 loads, I shot my 225. Mercifully, I did not use Cam Pro 55s, but rather, Hornady bulk 55s. I shot two 5 shot groups with three powders - Varget (2 in. avg), IMR 4064 (1.73 avg) and IMR 4451 (the winner - 0.93 avg) I mistakenly threw away the 0.85 in target, but have the 1.01 inch target.

The morning was great, despite the snow and the wind. And as I always do, I stopped in at Timmys on the way home. This is my snow and wind in the face look. Or it might have been me mugging for the camera.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shootin’ in wind like that is sporting. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
It was weather like. It was, of wind. Let's see what they are doing in Ingle-land..

In Soviet Russia, tree shoots you!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wind is educational. Icing on the cake is use of BP and lead on windy days. Some years back I attended a match in Cody, WY where Day 1 was called due to wind which ripped the target backers (4x8 OSB) off the posts, never to be seen again. Match day had 10G20 full value L-R. 200 yards with slug guns and 100 yards for picket rifles. I managed a 3d and 2nd place showing but haven't a clue how I managed it given the number of shooters and their experience with such frivolity. The targets had rather large groups to say the least.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The shotgun target was me shooting through the gusts. Punching the wind...and losing as always. The 5 shot groups were shot between the gusts, or as best as could be expected. I only did 100 yd.

Some days, it's good to have gusty conditions. It keeps the riff raff away.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
A little less wind today. 15 - 20 mph. When you hunt or shoot competitively, the wind comes into play, and you live with it I didn't bother going to 200 yd. laugh

Here are the four best targets from today's shoot. The winner was IMR 8208 with a 1.14 inch group. The other was 1.31 inches. Avg - 1.22 inches The loser was H4895, the 1.63 inch group shown. The other was 1.93 inches. Avg - 1.78 inches. But that could have easily been turned around, so no good data today.

The green target on the right was how much the wind was moving the bullets. The top group was formed with 75 grain bullets. The bottom right were 55 grains.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
136 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.