Print Thread
Hop To
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I’m picking up my first boat tomorrow, it’s just a 14’ jon boat, nothing fancy. The lake I plan on hunting the most has a 10hp maximum and a lot of sunken trees and sandbars so I figure a long tail setup is a good way to go. Trying to decide what to get. I’m looking at a mudskipper longtail kit, and deciding between getting their 7hp motor or a 6.5hp predator motor from Harbor Freight. Anyone used either of these and have any reccomendations?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Can't help you. But i would always error on the more HP side of things.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't have any direct experience with the items in question but past experiences with kits in other pursuits has me leaning toward a motor from the same company as the kit. It seems that whenever I try to match up assemblies from different manufacturers it never goes smoothly. Modifications and additional parts always seem to be needed and reliability was sometimes in question. A motor and kit from the same company should be much more compatible together.

I would also look at the potential of locally finding parts for the power head. If something breaks and replacement parts can be found close by, one could be back in service in only a couple hours depending on what broke and how handy you are.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mornin, if you ever want to run through marsh grass or cat tails duck hunting or such get the most HP, that you can afford. I ran a 16 hp twin on a 14' John boat and it would go pretty much anywhere. Put it on a 16' deep John when the kids were little so they couldn't fall out but it sure slowed things down. Buddy has a 14' John & it goes pretty good with a 6.5,. Still goes through marsh grass but cat tails are really hard. He uses his for duck hunting but he just has to go through lily pads. He has the mud skipper kit with princess auto motors cheaper line. You can put one of the cheap motors on 3 times before your up to the price of a brigs & straton or 4 for the price of a Honda. Buy a 6.5 for that lake you mentioned & a 10 or 12 horse or more for everything else. It's not like your using it every day. Probably could use a mtr from a snow blower as they don't get used to much. Put a used mtr on the one that ya don't use much & a nice new one on the main one. If ya stay with the same brand, hook up should be close to the same. It's just throttle cable or battery. It's actually hard to not cringe going over stumps & rocks till ya get used to it. Fun times with them, crazy looks from other boaters when ya blow by them into the lily pads. There's a guy up in Alaska that uses them on a freighter canoe to go up smaller rivers to get in to tight areas to hunt. He's got some videos on the Alaska out door forums under canoe forum. Good luck & post pics after you get it up & running. Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I decided to go with the predator, it was a little cheaper, overall better reviews and it seems to be a very common engine so I think finding support for it will be easier as well. Thanks for the replies. While we’re at it, does anyone have experience getting a title for a boat trailer? I know it varies by state to state but was wondering if anyone had an idea how difficult it is. The boat came with a title but the previous owner never titled or registered the trailer.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
(Mainer in AK) makes the wide freighter canoes set up for a Copper head mud motor. Good guy!
http://www.freightercanoes.com/index.html

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
jj liisten to Wood "I would also look at the potential of locally finding parts for the power head. If something breaks and replacement parts can be found close by, one could be back in service in only a couple hours depending on what broke and how handy you are" Parts for China Freight stuff are non-existent.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have 3 long tails. 24 beavertail 24 honda on 16x50 jon. 7 hp robin stump jumper on marsh gunner and a 13 hp predator stump jumper on 14 ft osage duck boat. I'd look into the stump jumper out of la crosse wisc. Get a 8 hp predator if under 10. How wide is your 14 footer ?

BS2 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
My son had a 8hp mudskipper on his 14-36......now he has the 13 hp. on it.

you can up the HP on the 8 with heavier valve springs and other mods. Doesn't start well in the cold....that why he went to the 13....and a 9" prop.

New sticker and a 13 can be an 8!

Get close and wack em hard!
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by BS2
My son had a 8hp mudskipper on his 14-36......now he has the 13 hp. on it.

you can up the HP on the 8 with heavier valve springs and other mods. Doesn't start well in the cold....that why he went to the 13....and a 9" prop.

New sticker and a 13 can be an 8!

Considering this option. I went with the 6.5 predator and it does just fine but it’s pretty slow with 2 people in the boat. Thinking about going to a 13hp predator and just putting the decal from the 6.5 on there...

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.