Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Trying to put a value on a New Haven made model 70 Classic in 375 H&H in near new condition ?

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by yar
Trying to put a value on a New Haven made model 70 Classic in 375 H&H in near new condition ?

Is it stainless or blued? What kind of stock? What grade? Does it have factory irons?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Blued, wood stock I think 2006 manufactured , Safari Express. Little detail might help.lol

Last edited by yar; 03/04/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm interested in this thread too. I have a Winchester model 70 stainless classic in .375 H&H factory irons, synthetic stock.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
I'm interested in this thread too. I have a Winchester model 70 stainless classic in .375 H&H factory irons, synthetic stock.

IMO,yours should go for $1100 or so.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

IMO,yours should go for $1100 or so.

Elk, in your opinion, is the SS with Tupperware more valuable than blue with walnut?

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I think so. Only a limited number of SS .375 H&H's were made compared to the blued with walnut.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good info , Thanks

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think so. Only a limited number of SS .375 H&H's were made compared to the blued with walnut.

I'm not much of a Tupperware fan, but that particular stock is well proportioned and I like the way it feels, like the comb height.

I jerked the hot glue looking bedding material out with pliers, Steel Bedded the forward action and lug. Bedding material doesn't stick very well to Tupperware, but with holes drilled at various angles thru the lug area, the bedding traps itself and isn't going anywhere.

I had the overly heavy 24" barrel chopped to 21" and fluted. After the "surgery", the balance is about right. Those barrels shoot too good to replace. The NH trigger is a classic and can be adjusted to a clean 3#'s. Just about bullet proof, it's a tough working rifle with no frills.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/05/20.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I hated the tupperware stock. It kicked like two mules and a horse even with starting loads and I had it restocked with IIRC a Banser stock.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's easier to handle now with the load I use, a 270 grain Swift A-Frame at 2690 fps.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I hated the tupperware stock. It kicked like two mules and a horse even with starting loads and I had it restocked with IIRC a Banser stock.

It's easier to handle now with the load I use, a 270 grain Swift A-Frame at 2690 fps.

I didn't think recoil bothered you... grin

Seriously, I would like more info on that stock...

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
elkhuntermn, My wife’s rifle (though only a .338 WM) still wears the “Tupperware”.....do you think that changing stocks will reduce “felt” recoil a little bit? And if so, do you still recommend the IIRC Thanks. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/05/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
DF,it is a Winchester Banser stock that a gunsmith bedded and painted for me. This was 3-1/2 to 4 years ago years ago and I don't remember all the particulars.

Memtb,it did for me and yes I still recommend the IIRC stock. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The original stock on my '2000-ish Safari Classic was too dang purty to hunt with so I sold the stock (here on the 'fire IIRC) and the gunsmith full-length bedded the rifle in a Banser equipped with a Decelerator. It's a dream to shoot.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
elkhuntermn, My wife’s rifle (though only a .338 WM) still wears the “Tupperware”.....do you think that changing stocks will reduce “felt” recoil a little bit? And if so, do you still recommend the IIRC Thanks. memtb

Hopefully you don't mind me jumping in memtb. My experience with Bansner is like Ken's. Exceptional ergo's for soaking up recoil. The reason is because the comb is higher and more parallel to the axis of the bore. Here's a model 70 that I had stocked with the bansner:

The bansner reminds me of my brown precision PoundR, with a few exceptions. The bansner is also a lot more rigid than the tupperware stock. However, the factory tupperware is not bad at all for me, but I always add a 1" pachmayr decelerator recoil pad and glass bed them like dirtfarmer described in an earlier post. The tupperware stock is quite a bit heavier than the bansner stock. If you can afford or want to afford an upgrade in stocks, the bansner is a great stock and it won't cost you as much as the poundR like what is on my 338. A lot of times, I'll just put lipstick on a pig and use the tupperware:
^^^A 7WSM classic stainless I recently sold^^^^

One of my favorite 30-06 rifles I sold to 79s here:

A 7mm rem mag I played around with for a while:

I've used a lot of the tupperware stocks, as I do like them. Now back to the OP's question. I can honestly say that I've seen one locally sit in the gunrack for months and the shop owner had it priced at $900.00. It eventually sold for $850.00... Now, as a lot of you guys know, some of these last year new haven rifles had some issues. So much in fact that I probably wouldn't buy one unless it was in hand, where I could look it over real carefully. I'm actually surprised redneck didn't cough up some of these details. Actually if I were forced to make a decision between an early BACO (made in the USA) express 375 and a last year classic, I might lean in the direction of the BACO... I'd trust it to be made better than the last year 7 digit classic. That's about the only time I'd pick a newer BACO over a classic though...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In 1998 had an opportunity to buy a M70 SS/syn 375 H&H NIB for $495. arrrrrgggghhhhh

Murphy was a grunt.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a new stainless classic in 375 back in 2013. I shot it at the time maybe 15 times. It sat in the safe since, two weeks ago draw results came out and I drew a DB210 permit. You all are wondering what does that mean. It’s a fall Kodiak bear tag, tag of a lifetime. They only issue 3-4 fall permits a year. The flight to the area, had been booked. Last week i shot that 375 more than i have in the last 6 plus yrs. I finally bedded it and floated the barrel, it sits in the factory Tupperware stock. Right now I have settled on 300gr tsx, might try 270gr tsx as well. My partner going with me said we are holding out for 9 plus footer and bigger. I’m pretty excited..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I bought a new stainless classic in 375 back in 2013. I shot it at the time maybe 15 times. It sat in the safe since, two weeks ago draw results came out and I drew a DB210 permit. You all are wondering what does that mean. It’s a fall Kodiak bear tag, tag of a lifetime. They only issue 3-4 fall permits a year. The flight to the area, had been booked. Last week i shot that 375 more than i have in the last 6 plus yrs. I finally bedded it and floated the barrel, it sits in the factory Tupperware stock. Right now I have settled on 300gr tsx, might try 270gr tsx as well. My partner going with me said we are holding out for 9 plus footer and bigger. I’m pretty excited..

Good luck with your hunt. Sounds exciting... Did you do like df said and drill holes in that tupperware and rough it up real good? It really helps that bedding to stick. I did that with the rifle I sold to you..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Good luck with your hunt. Sounds exciting... Did you do like df said and drill holes in that tupperware and rough it up real good? It really helps that bedding to stick. I did that with the rifle I sold to you..

It’s hunt boys in the lower 48 dream of. It’s a hunt I grew up dreaming about. I’m lucky I’m Alaska resident and not have to pay 20-25k non residents have to pay.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by memtb

Hopefully you don't mind me jumping in memtb. My experience with Bansner is like Ken's. Exceptional ergo's for soaking up recoil. The reason is because the comb is higher and more parallel to the axis of the bore. Here's a model 70 that I had stocked with the bansner:

The bansner reminds me of my brown precision PoundR, with a few exceptions. The bansner is also a lot more rigid than the tupperware stock. However, the factory tupperware is not bad at all for me, but I always add a 1" pachmayr decelerator recoil pad and glass bed them like dirtfarmer described in an earlier post. The tupperware stock is quite a bit heavier than the bansner stock. If you can afford or want to afford an upgrade in stocks, the bansner is a great stock and it won't cost you as much as the poundR like what is on my 338. A lot of times, I'll just put lipstick on a pig and use the tupperware:
^^^A 7WSM classic stainless I recently sold^^^^

One of my favorite 30-06 rifles I sold to 79s here:

A 7mm rem mag I played around with for a while:

I've used a lot of the tupperware stocks, as I do like them. Now back to the OP's question. I can honestly say that I've seen one locally sit in the gunrack for months and the shop owner had it priced at $900.00. It eventually sold for $850.00... Now, as a lot of you guys know, some of these last year new haven rifles had some issues. So much in fact that I probably wouldn't buy one unless it was in hand, where I could look it over real carefully. I'm actually surprised redneck didn't cough up some of these details. Actually if I were forced to make a decision between an early BACO (made in the USA) express 375 and a last year classic, I might lean in the direction of the BACO... I'd trust it to be made better than the last year 7 digit classic. That's about the only time I'd pick a newer BACO over a classic though...

You turning'em over like a real Loony... grin

You have good taste; those are great rifles.

It seems curious to me why BACO designed their rifle to NOT be compatible with retrofitting a Pre-64 or NH trigger.

If one could fit the older trigger, that IMO would be the best of both worlds. I've read and heard that BACO guns are well built and shoot good. I don't have one, just hearsay.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
832 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 3,271 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.