Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
We just picked up our wirehair pointing griffon today and brought her home. She's sleeping in my lap right now. She's very good natured, playful, and seems smart. We are going to crate train her but she dies not like that idea. She whimpers, whines, and howls like crazy when she's in the crate. We are likely in for some long nights.

Any advice on what we should be doing with a brand nee pup? She already dropped a deuce in the house. We saw it starting but she was quicker than us. She's almost 8 weeks. Any advice on feeding, house training, etc?

She will be an in house dog not one that's always kept outside in a kennel. We named her Macy and we think she's really cute even though our relatives are not too impressed with the griff look. She looks very much like the classic griff, brown nose, liver brown head and tail with a spot or two on a steel grey/ whitish main color.

The kids love her and she's played very well with them so far.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 03/04/20.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No pictures? Come On Man!!!!!!! Really

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My draht pup is now 14 weeks. We crate trained him and still are in the bedroom next to ours. He started out hating it, now loves it. Stay strong. If she wakes up and starts howling, take her out, let her do her business, then back in crate and back to sleep. We found that feeding at 5 am, 11 am, and 5 pm worked for our pup. He would do his business around 10 pm and then sleep till 5 am.

I have a 12 year old Griffon and he was difficult to house train. Might have just been him. The drahts seem to take to it faster. If you have not watched Stonnie Dennis on youtube, take some time to look up his puppy training videos. I really have had great success using his "heel" training technique. Super good guy and has a lot of talent for puppy training. Congrats on your new pup and bet she turns into a star.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
My wife started by stuffing her in the crate and locking it. She didn't like it at all and wined like crazy. I'm trying a different approach, I put her bed, some toys, and blanket in there. I'm having the kids slowly bait her in with some small brisket pieces and leaving the door open and playing with her in and at the crate.

As she gets used to it and hopefully gets past the earlier trauma I'll start closing the door. In going to try to get her to like it and see it as her safe space. I'm hoping the gentile persuasion works or we may have to just use the wifes authoritarian techniques.

Bb

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats. Im partial to griffs and some are known to take a little longer to potty train

Be consistent and keep her in the crate. Every few hours and let her out to go to the bathroom , praise her and back to the crate. She has to stay in crate at night until she learns. Its ok to put crate next to bed. Get her outside and soon as she is out of the crate. You can play with her outside.

Never hit a griff or yell too much. Very sensitive breed but also intelligent and very social so need to be around people ( they love kids) and other animals.

Be patient as she will probably have a few accidents

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
BB, we always put a wind up alarm clock in the crate with her covers.. I was told the ticking reminds them of their moms heart beat and makes them at peace.. I have only trained goldens, but a bad dog, a scolding when the dont go potty outside always seemed to work.. Plus, when the get up, have played for a little and start to slow down, that is the time to hit the yard and tell the go pee, go poop.. Good luck, I am overjoyed to know she will live as a family member.. As ribka said they will have accidents, but if they are like goldens and from his comments they seem to be they learn quick..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Posting a few pics for BB. She sure is a cute thing.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AWWWWWWW...

Keee-yute!! cool cool

I'd never own a griffon. whistle
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So? OK, I'm a liar. blush blush

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Macy is a GREAT looking pup. Let her be a puppy for a while. They grow up much too fast.

I'm in my 70s now, and I've been around griffons since I was 4 years old. They're a special breed, tough dogs who will love you and their family with no reservations. And, they're bird crazy.

You made a good choice, IMO.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great looking pup!! I second all of the crate training suggestions. One thing I'd add, is I don't use mine for punishment, meaning I don't send the dog there when they mess up nor do I "correct" them while in the kennel. It's Hank's happy place.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
Great looking pup!! I second all of the crate training suggestions. One thing I'd add, is I don't use mine for punishment, meaning I don't send the dog there when they mess up nor do I "correct" them while in the kennel. It's Hank's happy place.

This is excellent advice, just like never punish a dog that runs off when it comes back. They are convinced they got punished for coming back and will soon not come back.

Lots of common sense is involved in dog training. wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 30338

Wishing you the best of times for as friends and a team.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue

Wishing you the best of times for as friends and a team.

I've been back to these photos a dozen times already. That is one super looking griffon pup!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
See that is better! Very cute pup. Congratulations

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A most enjoyable read Gents!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you don't mind, I will give you an idea what you are in for. My Daughter has one, and he can be a little overbearing when it comes to wanting in on all things family. However, even tho he has killed a few of Her Chickens, she still thinks he is worthwhile to keep around....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Griffs are definitely clingers. Ours has been a great family member and love him a lot. His dad is alive at 19 so who knows how long we can enjoy him.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
wow. 19

My experience with griffs is they will give their heart and soul to please you. I have to literally pick mine up early hunting and place her in the truck because she would hunt til she couldn't walk.

They are a pistol and very active as puppies.

They are very entertaining, lots of character , intelligence and if good breeding great prey drive

Griffs are definitely clingers. Ours has been a great family member and love him a lot. His dad is alive at 19 so who knows how long we can enjoy him.

Last edited by ribka; 03/08/20.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
She has taken to her crate quite well as long as we don't lock it. We have her toys and bed in there and she likes to go in and lay down. I think she's taking to us ok, she has a lot of personality and is very curious.

A local vet has a champion male so if she turns out to be in good of dog as we hope we may breed her in 2 years. She's picking up the potty training thing pretty well considering it's only day 2. She likes to nip but if you whimper she stops right away. She's learning fast.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 03/08/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
She has taken to her crate quite well as long as we don't lock it. We have her toys and bed in there and she likes to go in and lay down. I think she's taking to us ok, she has a lot of personality and is very curious.

A local vet has a champion male so if she turns out to be in good of dog as we hope we may breed her in 2 years. She's picking up the potty training thing pretty well considering it's only day 2. She likes to nip but if you whimper she stops right away. She's learning fast.

Bb

Griffs can be mouthy. and will come up and hold on to your sleeve or your hand. Not bite hard, just hold. Some mistake for biting.

My vet explained that dogs don't have hands so use their mouth to hold on to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.