Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I load one at a time when testing and of course have been bit when finding best coal was longer than magazine length for some rifles. I just don't get to shoot enough to really ring things out as I would like.

So, I tend to find best powder load and adjust fit to magazine as tightly as function allows. I have a feeling I am not alone.

After reaching this point have you tried going shorter OAL and if so, found improved accuracy?

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/29/20.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
HR IC

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Not alone. I am on a quest to make my 300 Winmag loads magazine length and seat the heavy and long bullets to work out of the mag. I’ll report back. 😎

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The common knowledge has it that closer to the lands produces the best accuracy. Thus, I’ve always just seated .03” short of the lands and went with that. However, not everything is “etched in stone”. A couple of years ago I had developed a load for my 7x57 using 145 gr. Speer HC, PRVI brass and RL19 powder - seated .03” short as usual. It produced about 1-1/4” groups which is more than adequate for my purposes. (deer sized critters out to 300 yd. max.).
Last summer I got to thinking that this load just might have better accuracy potential so I started farting around with the OAL. To my surprise, a .07” jump produced sub MOA groups at 100 meters. At first I thought it might be a fluke however more shooting confirmed my findings. Five 3-shot groups averaged .88”.
You just never know for sure until you try.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not good with math so please bear with me. Your original group was about 1 1/4" seat .003 off the lands. But you improved it to .88 by going to .007 off the lands. ! 1/4 was good for what you do according to you but by experimenting you got it down to .88". So you actually only improved .370"! Was it worth the effort? The best one of my rifles does is 1 1/4" from a rest. Strictly a hunting rifle for big game and I have never bother to improve it. On the other hand I have a couple 243's I don't use on big game that do right at 1/2". Would like to improve them but haven't a clue why! My best guess is simply, "just because".

I like your limiting your shot's to 300 yards, probably because I do the same! Yet I have shot at only one deer at 300yds in my life. I didn't need to, I did it just to say I had, just because! I think we might all be guilty of that.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With a little practice 300 yards isn't a big deal per se.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Not good with math so please bear with me. Your original group was about 1 1/4" seat .003 off the lands. But you improved it to .88 by going to .007 off the lands. ! 1/4 was good for what you do according to you but by experimenting you got it down to .88". So you actually only improved .370"! Was it worth the effort? The best one of my rifles does is 1 1/4" from a rest. Strictly a hunting rifle for big game and I have never bother to improve it. On the other hand I have a couple 243's I don't use on big game that do right at 1/2". Would like to improve them but haven't a clue why! My best guess is simply, "just because".

I like your limiting your shot's to 300 yards, probably because I do the same! Yet I have shot at only one deer at 300yds in my life. I didn't need to, I did it just to say I had, just because! I think we might all be guilty of that.

Actually the “jump” numbers were .03” and .07”. Regardless, I agree with you that the difference between .88” an 1.25” groups isn’t gonna make a whit of difference for putting meat in the freezer. Your stated best guess, “just because” is totally correct. It was in interesting experiment.😁

Last edited by Bobber257; 03/04/20.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I load one at a time when testing and of course have been bit when finding best coal was longer than magazine length for some rifles. I just don't get to shoot enough to really ring things out as I would like.

So, I tend to find best powder load and adjust fit to magazine as tightly as function allows. I have a feeling I am not alone.

After reaching this point have you tried going shorter OAL and if so, found improved accuracy?

FWIW, from JB's The Big Book of Gun Gack, pg. 20-21: "One of the oldest myths in handloading is that the best accuracy is always obtained by seating bullets very close to the rifling . . . . In reality many rifles shoot most accurately with bullets seated well off the lands. . . . However, it is a good idea to start by seating bullets out as far as possible, whether very close to the lands or to the the limits of the magazine. After determining which powder charge is most accurate, I load up some new 4-round batches, turning the stem on the seating die one full turn for each batch. . . .(Seating rifle bullets deeper is perfectly safe, because pressure decreases with the bullet further from the lands. You may have heard that pressures increase when bullets are seated deeper, but that's true only with fast-burning handgun powders. It does NOT apply to modern rifle cartridges and slow-burning, progressive powders.)"

I haven't personally gotten around to using this technique, but I intend to give it a try.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever read anything on Optimum Charge Weight (OCW) and Optimum Barrel Time (OBT)?

They agree with your observations (from my reading) VG has been looking over and may have a more valuable take on it...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'll share the test protocol I use to determine seating depth. I learned if from an old bench rest guy, and it works pretty well.

Background info: I and others see evidence that accurate seating depths come in "nodes". For example, if you find that 0.020" off the lands works, there will be a couple more lengths that work in approximately 0.060" increments. So, 0.020", 0.080", 0.140" off the lands might all perform equally.

I start 0.010" off the lands and test in 0.010" increments. Typically, you'll find a depth that works if you try 0.010" - 0.080" off. There may well be other nodes as stated above. This is important because most factory chambers are throated VERY long, so long you commonly can't get within 1/8" of the lands. If that's the case, I'll start with the longest COAL that will fit in the magazine and step back in the same 0.010" increments.

Here's the wrinkle with the test protocol. I load 3 or 4 rounds at each seating depth, but I deliberately screw up the powder charges within those 3 or 4. I'll load one at the normal charge weight and then step back the charge in 0.5g increments. In case that's not clear, I'll load (for example) one round each at say 24.0g, 23.5g, 23.0g and 22.5g. All four are at the same COAL.

Deliberately messing with the charge weights makes it MUCH easier to see which seating depths work best. I just ran this test again a couple days ago. The worst group was 1.5". The best was 0.5". Quite an improvement!

It doesn't always work that well, but typically it's possible to discern a COAL that is detectably better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seating depth ladders never ever prove anything. Here’s 5 groups 5-10-20-30-40 off. Interesting how it can work, group 5 was 30 off.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Seating depth ladders never ever prove anything. Here’s 5 groups 5-10-20-30-40 off. Interesting how it can work, group 5 was 30 off.

All you are doing is finding an accuracy node. You can do the same thing by adjusting charge weight.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kenjs1

You change a variable like seating depth, you will have to adjust charge weight to land back on an accuracy node. The only time I go shorter on OAL is if my group has an anomaly like 2 groups in one. IE: 2 shots clustered and 3 shots clustered elsewhere. That is the only time I'll increase jump to the lands. 9 times out of 10, I'll find a good load with the bullet backed off the lands by .020", If the mag box will allow that length. If not, I do like you said and load them to mag box length and find the appropriate charge weight. It's pretty easy to see a good load starting to develop. Here's one I found for my AR10. Ridiculously easy to see what's going on with the node when bullets are put on paper:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here's another example of how you adjust charge weight when you change something critical like OAL:
These 2 loads showed the most promise, so I shot 2 10 shot groups side by side to see which one was ultimately better....

Developing good accurate loads is simple. It doesn't take countless hours/days or multiple boxes of ammo to find a good load. Just one range session and some good trigger time.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Anybody ever check ES velocity spread when tuning seating depth ?

Like Tom K 20k off - check velocity spreads down to 80k off ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Nope didn’t bother but I did shoot 10 shots across a 35P to see what it was doing. Turned out to be about 100 fps faster than the 117 grain load of 52.5 RL22 with similar results which I have been shooting out of a 25.06 of some flavor for 25-30 years. I don’t think I can improve the numbers much, isn’t a barn burner but damn consistent and accurate.

Swifty
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Yes, and it does change, both velocity and spread. Find the depth that gives best accuracy first though, and then play with velocity and spreads by changing other variables.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Tim_K
I'll share the test protocol I use to determine seating depth. I learned if from an old bench rest guy, and it works pretty well.

Background info: I and others see evidence that accurate seating depths come in "nodes". For example, if you find that 0.020" off the lands works, there will be a couple more lengths that work in approximately 0.060" increments. So, 0.020", 0.080", 0.140" off the lands might all perform equally.

I start 0.010" off the lands and test in 0.010" increments. Typically, you'll find a depth that works if you try 0.010" - 0.080" off. There may well be other nodes as stated above. This is important because most factory chambers are throated VERY long, so long you commonly can't get within 1/8" of the lands. If that's the case, I'll start with the longest COAL that will fit in the magazine and step back in the same 0.010" increments.

Here's the wrinkle with the test protocol. I load 3 or 4 rounds at each seating depth, but I deliberately screw up the powder charges within those 3 or 4. I'll load one at the normal charge weight and then step back the charge in 0.5g increments. In case that's not clear, I'll load (for example) one round each at say 24.0g, 23.5g, 23.0g and 22.5g. All four are at the same COAL.

Deliberately messing with the charge weights makes it MUCH easier to see which seating depths work best. I just ran this test again a couple days ago. The worst group was 1.5". The best was 0.5". Quite an improvement!

It doesn't always work that well, but typically it's possible to discern a COAL that is detectably better.

Interesting, I like that. I haven't tried that method of deliberately varying the charge weight for a each seating depth, but will. It makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by Yondering; 03/06/20.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I've not noticed depth changing velocity or SD's, but I've not looked for it. I don't typically make large jumps to different nodes, usually just fiddling around in the 0.030" or so where I think they should shoot. I'm a dedicated record keeper, though, so I'll go back in the data and have a look. It makes total sense that a change should affect pressure and thus velocity..

I'm just getting ready to test a load that I'm jumping 0.020" currently to the next node shorter. I'll keep an eye on what happens. The SD's on it are single digit, so I should be able to detect a change if there is one.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great stuff , thanks guys . Hope I can do some serious testing of this. Will toss out that one major example of loading off the lands I got was listening to Weatherby owners and reading about free bore etc...

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had some trouble getting a Berger bullet to shoot acceptably in a 6.5x284 so I went to their site. (never read the instructions)...
On their home page you'll find the Resources tab and Making it Shoot is there.
It's basically the same info that Tim K posted and it was what I needed for the Berger bullets but it works with others of course.

Let us know what you figure out!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.