Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
nash22 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Is it possible to change the barrel back to the t/d version on one that has been set permanent?
Also, what or how did they make it permanent?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On one of my G's that had already been bubbaed the gunsmith chased the barrel threads to tighten them up. He said it would take a barrel vise to get it back apart. It went from shooting holes all over the target to 3/4" to 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards. I figure if I took it apart it probably wouldn't shoot nearly that good so I'm not messing with it. Several of my early TD's with interrupted threads don't come apart. I think Savage went to full threads about 1920 because the interrupted thread guns loosened up pretty quickly. My early TD's probably got loose and someone tightened them up. I'm not taking them apart either. I'm not a gunsmith but I wouldn't mess with your rifle if it was mine unless there was a darn good reason.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with David. I have several that the barrels are more than hand tight and I just leave them that way.

Have seen TD's that there drill and tapped with the screw(s) in the receiver ring that were to long.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Any number of ways it could've been permatized. Solder, epoxy, threads peened for an interference fit, etc.

I love takedowns, they're the only kind of Savage I own. Something about the novelty of them that piques my interest. Maybe I've been lucky but I can't bitch about the accuracy of any of them. But, I don't look to the Savage rifle for soul soothing tiny groups- I have bunch of other rifles for that. I like the idea of packing an eminently handy woods companion (as long as it's scopeless) into a small package for transport- I drive small foreign cars. An added benefit is carrying said small rifle case across a parking lot or hotel lobby and not raising eyebrows.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
N
nash22 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the info. I do like the option of the t/d, but not sure if I want to mess with converting this back to one.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just because you can't get it off, does not mean it was "Fixed". It might just be tight. You might need a gun vice to put the action in, so you don't put any twist on the wood. Punch a hole in an old leather belt and pop it over the forearm lug. Wrap it around the barrel, down to the action, then punch another hole in the belt that you can slide a long screw driver through for a lever. Make sure the belt has an overlap at the action end so you don't mar the barrel when applying pressure. This method was passed on to me, but mine came off before I got that far.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen pipe wrench marks on some TD barrels. I'm not recommending that!

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If a takedown barrel is snug on both the face of the receiver and at the breech face, and the indexing key (lug) is tight in both keyways, it'll return as good accuracy as any non-TD lightweight barrel. Getting the contact points done just right can be a hair pulling endeavor, but is oh-so-necessary unless one is satisfied with "minute-of-deer accuracy. After that headspace must be reckoned with if alterations took place.

Yeah, if it works, don't fix it. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Just because you can't get it off, does not mean it was "Fixed". It might just be tight. You might need a gun vice to put the action in, so you don't put any twist on the wood. Punch a hole in an old leather belt and pop it over the forearm lug. Wrap it around the barrel, down to the action, then punch another hole in the belt that you can slide a long screw driver through for a lever. Make sure the belt has an overlap at the action end so you don't mar the barrel when applying pressure. This method was passed on to me, but mine came off before I got that far.

I've got a dedicated old leather belt just for this. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Wonder where I got that info?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I think I heard it first from Mad Dog.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Actually, Rory, you did give me the info. It was for the K with the Noske on it. I was trying to get John to take it down to ship it. He wound up sending it in a hard case. So, I never did get that barrel off. I let it fall into Gary's, "If it ain't broke" category.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I definitely didn't think it up, just passing along good advice I got here. I had a 99F in 22HP that had a burr in the threads and was tighter than heck, but buyer wanted his new takedown to actually "take down". He was worried it had been made into a solid frame. Got it off with the belt.

N
nash22 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the belt tip. I have a couple of them that won't come off and I don't use pipe wrenchs. Always figured if it doesn't come of by hand it wouldn't come off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To Nash22/op

Please don't be offended but many people don't open the action before trying to unscrew a take down. Just a reminder.

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/06/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody ever tap on groove in the bottom of the barrel with a brass drift to see if it will come loose?

LOL
N
nash22 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Yep, already new that, but thanks.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Even a brass drift can peen something like that if you whack it hard enough.

I sometimes wondered if a "C" wrench, lined with leather, of a diameter to closely fit the knoxform of the barrel, with a steel stud to precisely fit the index groove would suffice to break free a recalcitrant TD barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Anybody ever tap on groove in the bottom of the barrel with a brass drift to see if it will come loose?

Yes. blush And it worked!

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With my1926 G 30-30 there was no way in heck I could turn the barrel by hand . Someone with real man strength might but have my doubts. I made a no mar action wrench , then put a barrel vice on the barrel with leather jaws. Made a handle that bolted to the barrel vice , set the action wrench in a give and the barrel turned off easy. One (1) time . Just to see if apart. Can live not seeing it apart again.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.