Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Simple question - when mounting a scope that has quick detach (quick release) rings, on which side of the rifle do you mount the locking levers? On the left opposite the bolt or on the right?

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like the left side ( opposing bolt) as I feel it keeps the loading/ejection are clear. It also keeps the levers from digging into my arm if I on hand carry it. I felt the Leopold QDs had smaller levers and did just as well as several others that used big flat levers. Good luck to you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Left, opposite the bolt face. Had Talleys like this on a 375 HH, they are more out of the way on the left.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Left side, opposite the bolt handle. It just gives a little less clutter around the magazine opening.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Same..... left side, opposite the bolt handle. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always the ejection port / bolt side... as a RH person, I sling a rifle on my right shoulder and don’t want the levers/knobs rubbing against me and potentially loosening. Ditto when I’m carrying the rifle in my right hand... I don’t want protrusions rubbing against me. Simple really.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I always put them on the right side since the bolt handle sticks out on that side anyway. Keeps the left side clean

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pacecars
I always put them on the right side since the bolt handle sticks out on that side anyway. Keeps the left side clean

A perfect way to put it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ALL ring fasteners goes opposite the ejection port,whether Turnbolt,Trombone,Lever or Self Shucker...be it Forever Mounted or Quickaloo Dog Schit. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The LAST fhuqking thing I want on a rifle to be QD,is the Gawddamned Fhuqking Rings. Hint.

Wee bit earlier today. HINT.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your hearts.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Big Stick
ALL ring fasteners goes opposite the ejection port,whether Turnbolt,Trombone,Lever or Self Shucker...be it Forever Mounted or Quickaloo Dog Schit. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not surprisingly, those with actual hunting experience over many decades more than you also disagree with you, including Phil Shoemaker and Finn Aagaard. I started the practice long before I knew who either of these guys were, but since it’s the most logical place, I wasn’t surprised to find myself in good company.

Phil’s Old Ugly:

[Linked Image from nitroexpress.info]

Finn’s 375:

[Linked Image from empty-cases.com]

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Brad
Always the ejection port / bolt side... as a RH person, I sling a rifle on my right shoulder and don’t want the levers/knobs rubbing against me and potentially loosening. Ditto when I’m carrying the rifle in my right hand... I don’t want protrusions rubbing against me. Simple really.

Exactly right...assuming one uses a sling and actually hunts with the rifle. I position the levers so they are out of the way of the ejection port; never had an issue quickly reloading.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Interesting to see both sides are used.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Leupold QRs have the levers in the bases, so they have to be on the left side, except on firearms with level surfaces like the Marlin 336 or Remington 742/760 and 7400/7600 series rifles where the one-piece base can be reversed.

Leupold Detachos and QRWs and Warnes have the levers in the rings and I install them with the levers on the right and in the vertical position.

I don't think that there is a functional difference, just an aesthetic one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tannhauser

I wonder if you know who GF1 is?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon my giving less than ZERO Fhuqks,on how someone else fhuqks a rifle up. If a solution is viable,to preclude malady,I'm simply gonna connect dots and do so. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Then again,I don't haveta' steal pics and simply wear a rifle daily,while shooting out more barrels,than most folks fling boolits. Hint.

Lemmings do some FUNNY schit! Hint

Bless your heart,for trying so hard.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Then again,I don't haveta' steal pics and simply wear a rifle daily,while shooting out more barrels,than most folks fling boolits. Hint..

This is about actual hunters, not lard-azzed target shooters.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W

I don’t. Is it classified?

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't know who GF1 is.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, one of the ACGG’s finest...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, one of the ACGG’s finest...

Well, a professional rifle mechanic has probably seen enough of them to form an opinion about what works and what doesn't work as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 72 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.