Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Because I have a trip scheduled in June, I’ve been watching for this. Today I saw a report of the first case.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm more concerned about the risk of being exposed on the flights over and back then exposure on the ground. Just think what you would do if flights home were cancelled while you're in Africa or your subject to quarantine when you return home.

Last edited by Labman95; 03/06/20.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Would you go if it was the regular flu that seems to come around every year, in some form or another? I would.
Heard on radio just now that the death rate for corona is roughly 2%. That factors in deaths per known infected. Deaths are easy and accurately reported. Infected people not so much as some are infected and recover nicely without ever being reported. So the death rate is reported as higher than it really is, quite possibly much higher. Unless you already have serious medical complications, the risks are very low.
Your call, but I’m business as usual.

Last edited by dale06; 03/06/20.

NRA Patron
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Wont bother me a bit, if anything the airports will be cleaner because of loss of business, they'll probably be spraying you down welcoming you inside. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1st case was reported here in Colorado.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Everyone has to assess their risk tolerance for their particular circumstances. We are scheduled to do a cruise in the mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Turkey, etc.) this fall. I suspect we will postpone that trip until next year and see what 2021 brings.
Currently reported death rate is a bit over 3%, significantly higher for health compromised individuals and as you get older. When you get to the stage where cities go into lockdown mode and large gatherings/events are cancelled, it is not insignificant.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I’m not ready to make a decision yet, but I am concerned and will follow this closely. There are many unknowns.

My best guess is that if Coronavirus gets a good start in South Africa, it is likely to run rampant there. And it is not a place where I want to have a serious illness or be hospitalized. I am in general good health for my age, but I am 78.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I saw on the news last night, about 20% of the population of south africa is/has HIV which may make them more susceptible to infection/serious consequences.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would talk to my doctor and if he said ok then I would buy trip insurance that would cover cancellations for what ever reason.

I would bring good masks for airports and planes, hand sanitizer and disinfectant, and a dose of tamaflu. Your doctor or the CDC may suggest other preventatives.

It may actually be a good time to fly. No lines and suspect people will be quarantined. Less traffic from countries with a high incidence of COVID-19.

It is very serious and the statistics are skewed now as far as percentage of deaths, by june we should have better data. With more accurate data I suspect the 2-3% death rate will drop. The 80% of cases being non critical or non life threatening is probably accurate.

Africa has it's fair share of deadly diseases Corona may turn out to be relatively minor compared to some of the others. Do get a yellow fever vaccine and ask about anti malarial drugs if you will be anywhere near possible sources. Again check with your doctor and the CDC recommendations.

Just wanted to add that masks are mostly to prevent someone infected from coughing on another person. They may have some limited benefit to the user but not very significant, although it won't hurt.

Last edited by Tejano; 03/06/20.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Tejano
I would talk to my doctor and if he said ok then I would buy trip insurance that would cover cancellations for what ever reason.

I would bring good masks for airports and planes, hand sanitizer and disinfectant, and a dose of tamaflu. Your doctor or the CDC may suggest other preventatives.

It may actually be a good time to fly. No lines and suspect people will be quarantined. Less traffic from countries with a high incidence of COVID-19.

It is very serious and the statistics are skewed now as far as percentage of deaths, by june we should have better data. With more accurate data I suspect the 2-3% death rate will drop. The 80% of cases being non critical or non life threatening is probably accurate.

Africa has it's fair share of deadly diseases Corona may turn out to be relatively minor compared to some of the others. Do get a yellow fever vaccine and ask about anti malarial drugs if you will be anywhere near possible sources. Again check with your doctor and the CDC recommendations.

Good advice and along the lines of my thinking.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Booked tickets to Botswana for our June trip this week.

I completely discount any "data" coming out of China for multiple reasons. I discount 99% of all the "information" being pushed by most of the "talking heads" in the media. I DO listen to the actual medical doctors they put on. The reason I tune out the talking heads is as soon as the actual doctors are finished giving what I believe to be factual information, the freak'n talking head go back to spreading their alarmist BS.

The Reader's Digest version of what the actual medical community is saying at this point is, it seems to be very similar to the other strains of the Corona flu - this one is just numbered 19. All they can ACTUALLY report is the mortality/fatality rates of those who've ACTUALLY been tested and not everybody gets tested because they don't get sick enough to require formal medical treatment. They have NO CLUE how many people may have actually had it, figured they just had the flu and just stayed home and recovered from it just like other strains of flu. The highest mortality rates are among the elderly and those that already have a some preexisting medical condition that compromises their immune system.

Here's a tracking web page from John's Hopkins University Now, keep in mind there are just under 8 BILLION people in the world.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
I’m not ready to make a decision yet, but I am concerned and will follow this closely. There are many unknowns.

My best guess is that if Coronavirus gets a good start in South Africa, it is likely to run rampant there. And it is not a place where I want to have a serious illness or be hospitalized. I am in general good health for my age, but I am 78.

Buy insurance, perhaps Global Rescue.

BTW, South Africa has some of the best doctors and hospitals in the world.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by AB2506

I bought insurance from Ripcord which was offered when I booked with Travel With Guns.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would almost guarantee these trip insurance companies will find a way to weasel out of covering problems related to COVID19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I would almost guarantee these trip insurance companies will find a way to weasel out of covering problems related to COVID19.

I won’t argue with that.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Especially for trips booked after the outbreak started.

"Pre-existing condition. Sorry bud!"

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm on several hunting and travel websites. Seems that a LOT of people that have purchased travel insurance after 1 Nov 2019 are getting letters/notices that any claims regarding/revolving around Corona 19 are excluded/not covered. Some are saying they are even being offered refunds.

I think if anyone has purchased travel/trip/medical insurance after 1 Nov 2019, it might be a REALLY good idea to contact them and ask. AND, even if the faceless/nameless rep you talk to on the phone says, "No problem, you're covered", I'd be asking for it in writing. As McCray said above, they are going to use it as a "pre-existing condition" as a broad brush even though you probably did not actually have it when you purchased the policy it's just that it's out there in the world.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

I bought insurance from Ripcord which was offered when I booked with Travel With Guns.

Ripcord has already issued a statement saying corona cancellations will NOT be covered. Better check with them again....

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Everyone has to assess their risk tolerance for their particular circumstances. We are scheduled to do a cruise in the mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Turkey, etc.) this fall. I suspect we will postpone that trip until next year and see what 2021 brings.
Currently reported death rate is a bit over 3%, significantly higher for health compromised individuals and as you get older. When you get to the stage where cities go into lockdown mode and large gatherings/events are cancelled, it is not insignificant.

Wife and I are booked on a cruise out of Venice down the Adriatic Sea and the Greek Isles, returning to Venice from June 12-June 24. Cruise line has already contacted us. If the cruise is cancelled, we get full credit for a cruise of our choice next year. We will go as long as northern Italy isn’t in lockdown.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jdollar

Ripcord has already issued a statement saying corona cancellations will NOT be covered. Better check with them again....

I haven’t seen that, but I am not the least bit surprised.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,621
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.