-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I recently purchased a Rem 700 ADL, circa mid 80’s, with a carbine length barrel and factory iron sights. My first experience with iron sights on a bolt action, but these sights appear to be well made and easily adjustable. My eyes have some difficulty picking up the thin front blade however,

I’m sure a fellow with young eyes could do some decent shooting with these sights, but not me. I would like to have some sights useable by me for backup use at relatively close ranges.

Anyone recommendations on what to use as a replacement? I’d like a high visibility front sight and more of an express style rear sight.

A quick Google search shows TruGlo makes a fiber optic front and rear. Any thoughts on something like this?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had Tru Glos on my 700ML. They worked fine as far as I was comfortable with a muzzle loader, about 150 yards. Worked well in low light mornings and evenings.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can make it work for a backup sighting system, I have found that a ghost ring aperture is fast to use, adaptable to older eyes,and more precise than they ought to be. IF irons are the only sights on a hunting rifle, I don't think they can be beat. Look through, not at, the ghost ring, put the blade on the target, and that's where the bullet will go.

Last edited by 300_savage; 03/03/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
I recently purchased a Rem 700 ADL, circa mid 80’s, with a carbine length barrel and factory iron sights. My first experience with iron sights on a bolt action, but these sights appear to be well made and easily adjustable. My eyes have some difficulty picking up the thin front blade however,

I’m sure a fellow with young eyes could do some decent shooting with these sights, but not me. I would like to have some sights useable by me for backup use at relatively close ranges.

Anyone recommendations on what to use as a replacement? I’d like a high visibility front sight and more of an express style rear sight.

A quick Google search shows TruGlo makes a fiber optic front and rear. Any thoughts on something like this?

File the rear sight into a wide VEE and replace the front with a white bead or fiber optic. I've done it and it works very well.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I had Tru Glos on my 700ML. They worked fine as far as I was comfortable with a muzzle loader, about 150 yards. Worked well in low light mornings and evenings.

Good to know. They hold up okay to recoil then I assume?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300_savage
If you can make it work for a backup sighting system, I have found that a ghost ring aperture is fast to use, adaptable to older eyes,and more precise than they ought to be. IF irons are the only sights on a hunting rifle, I don't think they can be beat. Look through, not at, the ghost ring, put the blade on the target, and that's where the bullet will go.

I have used (and still use on a couple rifles) rear peep sights and I agree, they are the best for irons. Since this rifle has factory irons installed I want to use them for backups. This would be for close shooting only, inside of 50 yards or so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think backup irons aren't a bad idea at all. But all my main rifles have naked barrels now, so I have a backup rifle with irons. I also have a backup scope in QD rings that fit the bases, so in a pinch I could replace the scope. Sighted in for my deer rifle but fits on my varmint rifle too....but would need a sight in. Chuckle...with all that backup, so far iI have never needed them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For about the same money as quality iron sights just put a 1-4X scope on it and set it on 1X for fast shooting. They are faster than any iron sight especially in low light. I've had more iron sights fail me than scopes over the years.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are right. The low power optics are fast, reliable, and accurate. Think it was Finn Aagard who did a test and nothing was as fast as a low power scope.
But, nothing carries like a 94 or 336 with irons. When I go for a walkabout in the country, those little carbines you can wrap your hands around sure are nice!

Last edited by 300_savage; 03/06/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you want a really fast open sight, may I suggest the British Express type shallow "V" with platinum center line and perhaps a bit larger front bead? Perhaps the Tru Glow mentioned, in a compatible size?

I was long aware of that type of sight but had never used or even seen one until I purchased my first, and only, British double rifle. It didn't take long to learn everything that was said about them is true. From 100 yards in more than satisfactory work can be accomplished with them. I wonder if Mr Aagard compared one of those to the lowest powered scopes? One about has to believe he did, given his African experience. At any rate, they are amazingly fast to acquire.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
For about the same money as quality iron sights just put a 1-4X scope on it and set it on 1X for fast shooting. They are faster than any iron sight especially in low light. I've had more iron sights fail me than scopes over the years.

I completely agree that, for most applications, the best answer for closer shots is a good scope with relatively low power. In fact, the scope that just arrived which I plan to mount on this rifle is a Virtex Razor LH 1.5-8x32. I’ve only had a chance to look though the scope unmounted, but from that I see there’s no significant fisheye or tunnel effect at 1.5, and with a #4 style reticle I bet this s ole will be very good up close.

However, I like the idea of fast acquiring iron sights, and since this rifle has them factory installed I want to set them up.

Mostly because I enjoy occasionally shooting g offhand with a centerfire rifle at the range. Also, I occasionally spend time fishing and camping in black bear country and I like to have a rifle handy in the incredibly unlikely event I have to deal with a bear. Mostly for peace of mind. If I’m carrying around a rifle in a non-hunting situation, I like the idea of taking off the scope so it’s easier to carry and I won’t need to worry about handling.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 358WCF, 35 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,156
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.