Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Are they worth it. I can't believe what they want for Sitka and the like. I usually hunt with a pair of my old military fatigues and and some silk type long johns. If it gets really cold I have some coveralls I think I paid $50 for years ago. Seems to work for me. Other than just having to have the latest and greatest are they worth it?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
No.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on what kind of hunting you do. For backpacking on 7 day plus trips in snow/rain - yes. If you are happy with your cotton , definitely not.

Sean
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by SeanD
Depends on what kind of hunting you do. For backpacking on 7 day plus trips in snow/rain - yes. If you are happy with your cotton , definitely not.

Yep.

A lot has to do with the climate(s) in which you hunt as well.

I would say that for the hunting I do my First Lite gear is extremely worthwhile. It’s not only super comfortable it’s versatile and stands up to a lot of hard use so I get my money’s worth as well.

Not for everyone but it’s worth it for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Short answer.... yes. Since spending more on nicer stuff, I stay warmer, dryer and replace less.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I do like to have comfortable and warm/dry hunting clothes. But that can be accomplished without buying a pant,vest, and coat that can push $700. I buy on sale and look for non major brands.
Cabela’s had some pretty good mid priced hunting clothes before bass pro ruined them. I did stock up on the Cabela’s clothes.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, to a point. Started out as a kid with Army surplus. When I got older Bass Pro grade then Cabella's. Better performance and durable, didn't have to replace them every year when they ripped out like my cousin with his K-Mart specials. And the stuff wasn't cut to Oriental proportions. Having the coldest feet in the group since I was a kid I'll say boot technology has improved A LOT.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a wool guy, so that really expensive stuff is not for me.

And I'm not a stand hunter, so I'm moving most of the day still hunting from spot to spot.

I might consider looking into it for a backpacking hunt................but I got along without it WAY back in the 70's and 80's doing 4-9 day trips in the Sierras just for fun.

Wool pants, Merino long johns, Pendleton shirts, wool jackets and hats and I'm good to go, especially with some decent rain gear and if I'm not hunting in SE AK during the wet part of the year.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I wear Wrangler jeans and Wrangler blue jean shirts, the same thing I wear every day. I’m from Texas, that’s what we wear down here.

I wear Wrangler made camo when I bow hunt

Last edited by hanco; 03/06/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Damn Skippy, it's worth it. I paid a bunch for this pickup and its got a great heater.

Jim
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It depends on the game you are hunting. Attractive women? Dress as well as you can. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only if they are technical and keep you warm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SeanD

Originally Posted by dale06
I do like to have comfortable and warm/dry hunting clothes. But that can be accomplished without buying a pant,vest, and coat that can push $700. I buy on sale and look for non major brands.
Cabela’s had some pretty good mid priced hunting clothes before bass pro ruined them. I did stock up on the Cabela’s clothes.

I'm probably in agreement with these two posts.

Lots of good clothing to be found for pretty dang cheap. You have to look for sales and shop outside hunting brands.

I've guided guys with all the expensive clothes and I really can't think of a time when I thought they were any better off than I was.

I'd be open to considering the primo stuff if I was headed on a backpack hunt in wet country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunting and outdoor recreation is my favorite pastime, my hunting clothes are among the most expensive I own. Can't say it's entirely necessary but they are specific to where and how I hunt and are comfortable so that's all I care about. I have a safe full of rifles, I'm sure one is all I need but it's not about need, it's about what makes you happy is this ever changing world. Nice rifles and hunting gear are what makes me happy so that's where I spend what I can. Most of my gear is KUIU, mainly because I like it and it's very comfortable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The eastern whitetail hunter in a treestand doesn't need $500 Kennetrek boots.
They are perhaos the best article of hunting clothing ive ever owned for western mountain hunting.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Work carhartts .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I'm a wool guy, so that really expensive stuff is not for me.

And I'm not a stand hunter, so I'm moving most of the day still hunting from spot to spot.

I might consider looking into it for a backpacking hunt................but I got along without it WAY back in the 70's and 80's doing 4-9 day trips in the Sierras just for fun.

Wool pants, Merino long johns, Pendleton shirts, wool jackets and hats and I'm good to go, especially with some decent rain gear and if I'm not hunting in SE AK during the wet part of the year.

Geno

Buy some Filson wool... now that’s expensive.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Knew a young business owner who bought the best of the best of everything. IM A TEXAS TROPHY HUNTER is what he said. Would smirk when I bagged a doe for the freezer. Never heard about him bagging anything other than a new outfit from Cabelas every season

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
For serious hunting in the mountains, wet weather, etc, then yes.

For the “fair weather” hunting that lots of us do, where a truck/cabin is less than 30 mins away, then no.

I don’t need a $500 coat and $200 pants to keep cold air off of me. I don’t need “lightweight high performance” for a 1/4-1/2 mile walk over to a stand or tree.

The high dollar stuff has its’ place, but “fair weather hunting” and “temperate” areas of the South (Florida to Texas) isn’t really it...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Salmonella
The eastern whitetail hunter in a treestand doesn't need $500 Kennetrek boots.
They are perhaos the best article of hunting clothing ive ever owned for western mountain hunting.

Nope they sure don’t. lol

Do western guys need 4 pack horses, a 10 man wall tent, 2 guides, 3 french hens, a Sherpa with a rickshaw of novels, yeti coolers, and $550 Schnee boots?

laugh

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
616 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.