[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Entirely a matter of opinion
Owned some in the 70s when I was young and dumb, every dime I could rake and scrape I stuffed down the last rabbit hole I owned (74 model).
while I realize the newer models are a whole different animal and are better, for most people it's more of a cult following than anything else.

offroad ability? one of the best
reliability? still not good
mileage? sucks
cool factor? pretty high
for an old fart like me ? I'm too old to be cool, too old to work on stuff, too broke to feed one.

If I were 25 again I would likely be all over one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Meh, not really. I've owned two Cj5's, a full custom '46 Cj2a, a Grand, and two of the newer JkU's in the Rubicon. I'd have to agree with hillbill, with the Rubicon it's pretty good offroad from the factory, with a good lift it's even better and tough to beat on trails. The rest is subjective. If they'd figure out how to avoid recalls, and up the HP a bit I'd be more apt to agree. Gas mileage sucks in every good off-roader I've ever owned.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Owned one back in high school. Wouldn't again as a daily under any circumstance.

For my general wheeling, mud and hunting - a Tacoma is the bar to beat and not many do. May not be for everyone.

Me

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep, BTDT. I cut my teeth learning to wrench on my Jeep but I don't miss it a bit. If I ever build another off-roader it probably won't be a Jeep.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a 76 Levi Edition with v8 and quadratrac. At the moment everything is functioning nicely. That was all new fluids, new plugs, new tires, new shocks, new brakes, new axles, new starter, new seats, new ignition switch and fuel filter. Its our ice cream run truck and we putz around on nice days in it. Don't think I'd take it 10 miles off road probably but it may be just fine. Never know lol.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In the second picture, is the dude with the ear ring looking for a wrench... or... ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
In the second picture, is the dude with the ear ring looking for a wrench... or... ?

Lunch time. He's after his avocado toast.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree, you can't beat a good jeep, I have three jeeps and use them all for ranch work and hunting, 2005 LJ 176,000 ranch miles no hi-way miles, 2017 Ruby, and a 2020

Gladiator, I've tried every make of 4 wheel drive pickup you can buy in the U.S.A. the modern pickup's are made by lawyer's for little league mom's and town driver's,

That includes the Jap trucks, Tacoma's, won't last a year here, did have 1 that lasted about 1 1/2 years, out of three we bought, they wont pull a greased string out of a cats asss in the sand.

I drive a jeep every day almost all day, gas mileage sucks, but so does everything else that's in 4 wheel drive 80% the time, take care of a jeep and it will take care of you.

Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would agree that there isn't a factory built, road legal, 4x vehicle that would beat a modern Jeep. I had a '97 TJ for 20 years and had no more problems with it than any other 4x4 vehicle I've owned, and I've owned more than a few.

Fun for long highway drives - no
Good gas mileage - no

But then neither of those things were design goals.
Of the twenty plus vehicles I've owned over the years, none had a fun factor equaling the Jeep. And when I sold it after 20 years, I got more than 1/2 what I paid for it new. Match that with your Taco.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I would agree that there isn't a factory built, road legal, 4x vehicle that would beat a modern Jeep. I had a '97 TJ for 20 years and had no more problems with it than any other 4x4 vehicle I've owned, and I've owned more tha a few.

Good gas mileage - no

Of the twenty plus vehicles I've owned over the years, none had a fun factor equaling the Jeep. And when I sold it after 20 years, I got more than 1/2 what I paid for it new. Match that with your Taco.

Bought a Taco with 80k on it for 6 grand. Didn't put a dime other than brake pads and wiper blades into it for another 150k miles.

Sold it for 2k.

Having owned both - there isn't anyone I know personally that has those kind of miles on a Jeep without issues. FOR ME the Taco lasts longer, more comfortable, more useful for hunting, camping etc and less expensive to own.

I'm not telling anyone what to own or drive - just that FOR ME, a Jeep would never be my daily.

In actuality, the best vehicle I've ever owned of any stripe was a CVPI.

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To be faaaiiir, I love Jeeps.

But I hate them too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'ma jeep guy all the way, for what I do, I sold my 1993 Wrangler with 300,000 ranch miles on it for $ 6500.00 to a rancher not far away and he uses the hell out of it. most trucks or pickup's will work for most people, they just won't work for what we use them for every day.

Most of the people that hunt here on the fire, maybe hunt a couple of weeks a year some a little more, we hunt from Sept. 1 till March every year. usually about 5 day's every week, we finished this year on March 8 th. now we get a little time off, then start getting ready to hunt next year.
Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a '96 Square-okee 4.0L 5-speed on 30" mudders.

Could NOT stop it from going forward unless you ran into a tree. Low range and 2nd & 3rd gear...…...you were going SOMEWHERE. Put 180K miles on it and sold it with the original clutch/pressure plate AND exhaust still very intact. Made me 22-23 MPG around town.

Went to take a 2-man treestand down one time. Had my brother follow me on our 4WD Case-International 695 so we could lower the stand with the loader. Went up a steep woods road then cut straight up a skidder path along a REALLY steep power line. We got the stand down and went to leave. Brother (on a 60 HP 4WD tractor, mind you) said, "Now......….how do I get outta here WITHOUT going back down the way you brought me up ??? I ain't going back out THAT way !! "

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Lunch time. He's after his avocado toast.

That’s a range bag. Pic is from a Viktos ad I was in with my Jeep.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Could NOT stop it from going forward unless you ran into a tree. Low range and 2nd & 3rd gear...…...you were going SOMEWHERE. Put 180K miles on it and sold it with the original clutch/pressure plate AND exhaust still very intact. Made me 22-23 MPG around town.

Went to take a 2-man treestand down one time. Had my brother follow me on our 4WD Case-International 695 so we could lower the stand with the loader. Went up a steep woods road then cut straight up a skidder path along a REALLY steep power line. We got the stand down and went to leave. Brother (on a 60 HP 4WD tractor, mind you) said, "Now......….how do I get outta here WITHOUT going back down the way you brought me up ??? I ain't going back out THAT way !! "

My first vehicle was a 2 door XJ 5 speed... I still own it 21 years later.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice Cherokee!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Very nice Cherokee!

Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice TJ.... wish we had terrain like that here in WI

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, we had a lot of fun with that one.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by teal
I would agree that there isn't a factory built, road legal, 4x vehicle that would beat a modern Jeep. I had a '97 TJ for 20 years and had no more problems with it than any other 4x4 vehicle I've owned, and I've owned more tha a few.

Good gas mileage - no

Bought a Taco with 80k on it for 6 grand. Didn't put a dime other than brake pads and wiper blades into it for another 150k miles.

Sold it for 2k.

Having owned both - there isn't anyone I know personally that has those kind of miles on a Jeep without issues. FOR ME the Taco lasts longer, more comfortable, more useful for hunting, camping etc and less expensive to own.

I'm not telling anyone what to own or drive - just that FOR ME, a Jeep would never be my daily.

In actuality, the best vehicle I've ever owned of any stripe was a CVPI.

Hi, I’m Chris, nice to meet you. Now you know someone personally that has owned a dozen Jeeps up to 180k and haven’t done anything besides brake pads and rotors and usually sold them sod more than I paid.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, we had a lot of fun with that one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]online photo and upload

This was my last TJ or TJU or LJ whatever you prefer... I was sad to see this one go but I needed 3 seat belts in the back with our latest addition.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice, I like the flat fender mod. 35's?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice, I like the flat fender mod. 35's?

Thanks! They came black but I had them blasted and painted. 35’s on everything I own!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Had a really nice '65 CJ5 in high school (80's). Mildly built. Loved it.

Now I have an 08 grand Cherokee that's basically parked as a back up vehicle. 140,000 miles and was thinking of doing another mild build. I just hate that 3.7l in it. I like the mercedes tranny though.

For the suspension guys, I need new strut tower bushings and of course I need to cut the towers out. Are the towers and bushings stealership only?

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Had a really nice '65 CJ5 in high school (80's). Mildly built. Loved it.

Now I have an 08 grand Cherokee that's basically parked as a back up vehicle. 140,000 miles and was thinking of doing another mild build. I just hate that 3.7l in it. I like the mercedes tranny though.

For the suspension guys, I need new strut tower bushings and of course I need to cut the towers out. Are the towers and bushings stealership only?

https://www.carparts.com/details/Je...R0qLxDWYzhoCfCcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got struts, it's the towers that connect them to the lower control arm. Mine are so rusted in there a press couldn't get them out, tried that got the t-shirt. I'm sure I'm gonna lose the bushing in the lower control arm trying to get that bolt out also.

I just hate paying stealership prices.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Solution with a side of upgrade.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had three Jeeps. 1971 CJ5 with the V6 and 4 speed OD. No brakes and open diffs. It was a pos for reliability. Ever have a car catch fire when you shut of the ignition and took the key out?

Then a 87 Wrangler with the 258 six. Best of the Jeeps I owned for reliability but not good off road due to limited wheel travel.

Then a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. Pretty good car except for the front end which periodically would start shaking so bad you had to pull off the road. Take off again and it wouldn't do it until the next time and you never knew when it would happen. It was a defect in the differential assembly method I was told after a year of being told it was mud on the wheels.

My take of Jeeps is that they are fun to drive, useful in certain environments, and you can dump a boat load of money into them and make them do anything you want except get good fuel mileage.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My Jeeps earn their keep. Rio7

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stantdm
I had three Jeeps. 1971 CJ5 with the V6 and 4 speed OD. No brakes and open diffs. It was a pos for reliability. Ever have a car catch fire when you shut of the ignition and took the key out?

Then a 87 Wrangler with the 258 six. Best of the Jeeps I owned for reliability but not good off road due to limited wheel travel.

Then a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. Pretty good car except for the front end which periodically would start shaking so bad you had to pull off the road. Take off again and it wouldn't do it until the next time and you never knew when it would happen. It was a defect in the differential assembly method I was told after a year of being told it was mud on the wheels.

My take of Jeeps is that they are fun to drive, useful in certain environments, and you can dump a boat load of money into them and make them do anything you want except get good fuel mileage.

Nothing beats a good death wobble. Fixable but a pain in the dick.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RIO7

My Jeeps earn their keep. Rio7

Well done sir.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeeps..had a few.

My 48 CJ2a and Dad's 68 CJ5 circa 1986

My 48 when I brought it home..

My 71 CJ5

My 2012 JKU

My 69 CJ6

current state

My dad and I have had 3 more Jeeps. He had a 46 CJ2a, 86 CJ7 and I had another 48 CJ2a
My brother had an 84 CJ7

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mine is a 86 cj7, 4.2 6 with 4.0 head molar fuel injection and arb front and rear lockers, 3” lift

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
They are a good toy. Bed is too small though.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
They're a fun vehicle,but always turn into a never ending project.
Jeep= Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Torqued
They're a fun vehicle,but always turn into a never ending project.
Jeep= Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Truth. Well played.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
They are a good toy. Bed is too small though.

crazy

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Back in the 80's, I had a co-worker who was in a Jeep offroad club. Those guys were nuts. He'd come home after an outing and start fixing. He said if you didn't spend $500 (in 80's money) in repairs, you didn't have enough fun. I couldn't afford his kind of fun. I had a family and he was single.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Love my 2015 JKUHR ruby

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Back in the 80's, I had a co-worker who was in a Jeep offroad club. Those guys were nuts. He'd come home after an outing and start fixing. He said if you didn't spend $500 (in 80's money) in repairs, you didn't have enough fun. I couldn't afford his kind of fun. I had a family and he was single.

Yeah, every time a buddy wanted to go out 4 wheeling with his jeep, I took my yota and he would always be breaking parts. Parts would actually be falling off of that sob. He had a couple jeeps and it was always the same thing. He had old CJ's and the last one was a 90's wrangler. He finally gave up on the pos things after he couldn't go where I went in my '85 short bed yota. His was terrible, it actually went pretty good when it was in 2wd, but when you needed 4x it was absolutely useless. Pretty much stuck at that point...

"It's a jeep thing"

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A well-built Jeep is an amazing trail machine. It really is. But customs can be so far removed from factory rigs that they don't necessarily reflect the brand anymore.

When I lived in AZ in the 1990's, I was wheeling with larger vehicles and had to negotiate some really tight turns that I am sure the Jeepers flew though. In particular, I remember going through a stand of trees that took forever with my lifted 71 Blazer. It just didn't fit. The trails were made by Jeepers. Can't fault them for it. They broke the trails, and everyone else followed.

That said, I hired a technician that did a fair amount of work on Jeeps. Broken axles on factory rigs, etc. And I hired an engineer that tested FCA vehicles, including Jeeps, for the manufacturer. Some interesting stories from them. None make we want to run out and buy a 2020 Jeep.

It seems like Jeep owners are loyal fans. They buy them no matter what. No matter what anyone else thinks or says. Brand loyalty is an amazing thing.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, every time a buddy wanted to go out 4 wheeling with his jeep, I took my yota and he would always be breaking parts. Parts would actually be falling off of that sob. He had a couple jeeps and it was always the same thing. He had old CJ's and the last one was a 90's wrangler. He finally gave up on the pos things after he couldn't go where I went in my '85 short bed yota. His was terrible, it actually went pretty good when it was in 2wd, but when you needed 4x it was absolutely useless. Pretty much stuck at that point...

"It's a jeep thing"

Ha! Reminds me of an old friend of mine. He had a Jeep Commando with limited slips in both ends and a 69 Bronco with 3:55 open diffs. He swore that for whatever reason that little Bronco would go places with no trouble that the Commando couldn’t even think of going. He claimed there was some combination of magic in the wheelbase and track width of the 66-77 Bronco.

My only real Jeep experience comes from having an 80 something Wrangler, whatever year was the last year for carbs on the straight six. It was a gigantic POS that nothing ever worked right on, especially the 5sp trans that was apparently made of glass or at least broke like it was. That thing cured me of ever wanting another Wrangler. I might entertain the idea of a CJ if they had room in the back for more than a pack of hotdog buns.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

"It's a jeep thing"

Ha! Reminds me of an old friend of mine. He had a Jeep Commando with limited slips in both ends and a 69 Bronco with 3:55 open diffs. He swore that for whatever reason that little Bronco would go places with no trouble that the Commando couldn’t even think of going. He claimed there was some combination of magic in the wheelbase and track width of the 66-77 Bronco.

My only real Jeep experience comes from having an 80 something Wrangler, whatever year was the last year for carbs on the straight six. It was a gigantic POS that nothing ever worked right on, especially the 5sp trans that was apparently made of glass or at least broke like it was. That thing cured me of ever wanting another Wrangler. I might entertain the idea of a CJ if they had room in the back for more than a pack of hotdog buns.

1989 was the last year for the carb 4.2.

CJ6 has more room. So does the CJ8. 2004-2006 LJs are longer as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I had a '78 Wagoneer. It just had the standard 4x4, both open diffs. It was pretty good off road but my buddy had an old Chevy 3/4 ton delivery van, 2x4 with a limited slip rear end. It was kind of like this pic. That limited slip would go places my 4x4 wouldn't go. Just having 1 locked axle made a big difference.

It originally had a 3-spd. After he burned out the 3d clutch hauling firewood, I talked him into putting a 4-spd in it. It only cost him about $100 more and he paid for it several times over in clutches.

[Linked Image from d323w7klwy72q3.cloudfront.net]

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The idea, mine at least is to build a capable trail rig. Now, depending on how extreme the trails you want to run, makes a difference in what/how one builds.

I have seen the best built Jeeps and Toyota's for that matter, broken. Sometimes it is just bad luck, mostly it is from lack of attention when on the trail, or too much skinny pedal.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was a kid of maybe 16 (late 60’s) I had my first Jeep adventure.
A bunch of us kids from the same work location went out to the local hill climb in the bosses B model flat fender Jeep. That thing was pure stock, as I recall. 4 cylinder and the military type tires.

He loaded three or four of us in it and we ground our way to the top of this really nasty hill climb.
It went up it like it was nothing at all. I was amazed!
Then the boss says that he smells hot brakes....? Turns out he had the hand brake on all that time, but in low range 4x4 it simply walked right up that hill without a hitch!

I was impressed enough to later own a couple of CJ7’s.
They were just OK, no room for anything and there seemed to always be something that needed fixing.
My Yamaha Grizzly 700 does all the back woods travel for me now.
Most of the gussied up Jeeps I see in town now are parking lot queens......

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I grew up in a Jeep family, every ranch vehicle was a 6 cylinder 3 speed pickup and one became my daily driver. I’ve had a 1958 FC 150 for 45 years and still use it.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Pops friends were all a bunch of wheeling fanatics when I was growing up, and then I got into it also. Jeeps, blazers, broncos, FJ40's and then Suzuki Samurai's.
With a lift kit and Lock right kits in the axles, those suki's were the best of the bunch, hand down.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I grew up in a Jeep family, every ranch vehicle was a 6 cylinder 3 speed pickup and one became my daily driver. I’ve had a 1958 FC 150 for 45 years and still use it.

The FC are cool...when I'm done with my 6, one is on my list to build...

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pulled Sour Apple out this past weekend....

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sactoller,

I hope you are well.

My first car a, CJ-7, combined with highways rutted up by oilfield transport trucks cured me personally of wanting another CJ, but I can appreciate that is a GREAT CJ. I'm currently diligently looking for a TJ right now to drive around town and on our lease out near you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Sactoller,

I hope you are well.

My first car a, CJ-7, combined with highways rutted up by oilfield transport trucks cured me personally of wanting another CJ, but I can appreciate that is a GREAT CJ. I'm currently diligently looking for a TJ right now to drive around town and on our lease out near you.

Yep, crappy roads at speed in a CJ can be a little dicey.

Look for an LJ it is worth the extra length!

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Toyota guy here.......

Never had a Jeep......

Purty popular in Utah though..... grin

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here's me dirty '78 CJ5 that I've owned since 1987. Replaced it's under-powered original AMC 304 V8 with a 401 V8 in 1991. Prior to that, I scattered it's semi-weak T-150 3 speed trans, then replaced it with an old Ford truck T-98 (precursor to T-18) 4 speed granny low transmission. After that, I knew the weak-azzed model 20 rear axle wouldn't last, and had a Ford Dana 60 rear-end narrowed to 52" built for the rear end, running a Powr-Lok diff. It's lifted about 3.5" and runs 33x13.50 Super Swamper TSX tires on "back-in-the-day" 15"x10" Enkei rims.

And, here's me '06 Rubicon:

Anyone know what a Dynatrac reverse rotation front Dana 44 axle looks like?:

Last edited by desertoakie; 05/04/20.

Ken
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And this is me Rubicon at Glamis sand dunes in southern CA, near Yuma, AZ a few months back. In the picture, we are at the bottom of the famous "Oldsmobile hill" for those of you've who've been to Glamis. The Rubicon struggled to get up the talcum powder-soft sand dune in 2nd and 3rd gear (of it's 6-speed) in 4-low and revving it's poor 4.0 litre 6 cylinder to RPMs that I thought would bring a rod through the side of the block! The Rubi will be staying home next time to preserve it's engine, and I'll bring me CJ5 with it's paddle tires to play in the dunes, or simply use the Canam.

And THIS is why, even in my 50s, we go to Glamis, for the scenery!!!

Ken
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

oh yea..........bet that seat has more than sweat on it......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hell if ya can't, pass a first gen yota, bobbed off, any day, every day...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Judman
Hell if ya can't, pass a first gen yota, bobbed off, any day, every day...

Ok boomer

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kiss my ass dummy... Speaks volumes of your "off-road prowess".... You must either look at "your jeep in the shop" or love working on the pile of shiit.... Either way, a Toyota will spank a jeep, hands down....🖕😎😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here’s a hint dummy... the only thing “Jeep” is the sheet medal.... hint

Ain’t easy havin pals.
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Judman
Kiss my ass dummy... Speaks volumes of your "off-road prowess".... You must either look at "your jeep in the shop" or love working on the pile of shiit.... Either way, a Toyota will spank a jeep, hands down....🖕😎😂

Feel better peanut? 😢

Neither of your guesses are right. I’m just not a communist.

Last edited by CEoW717; 05/05/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well now you know. Those cheeseheads are some wheelin sumbitches!!! 😂😂😂🤙

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lovely pissing contest we got going on here...

Ken
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Lovely pissing contest we got going on here...

Is it really even a pissing contest? More like someone getting really fired up due to a lack of a sense of humor. 🤷🏼‍♂️

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by sactoller

That's the best looking vehicle ever posted here, with the exception of a Northern Dave build or two. I love that thing.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

That's the best looking vehicle ever posted here, with the exception of a Northern Dave build or two. I love that thing.

I have a Camaro that was originally really close to that color. On my car, they called it Grecian Green. Thinking of going back with that just to be different.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 05/06/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sactoller,

I hope you are well.

Unfortunately, my Jeep search is now off for awhile. Had expensive issues come up yet again with my F150 so decided to go back to Toyota after a couple each of crappy Fords and GMs over the last couple of decades. Blew my Jeep money today on a new daily. Hopefully, the new Turd Pro will keep me going for a few years without the need for a new truck.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sactoller,

I hope you are well.

Unfortunately, my Jeep search is now off for awhile. Had expensive issues come up yet again with my F150 so decided to go back to Toyota after a couple each of crappy Fords and GMs over the last couple of decades. Blew my Jeep money today on a new daily. Hopefully, the new Turd Pro will keep me going for a few years without the need for a new truck.

Hope you and yours are well DesertMuleDeer!

Here is my old jeep, bought it new in 89, original paint, just rebuilt the 4 banger, 161,000 miles. It’s been a great vehicle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]names that mean hidden

Last edited by hanco; 05/11/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Anyone know what a Dynatrac reverse rotation front Dana 44 axle looks like?:

I have the Dynatrac 44 front axle (with5:38s and ARB air lockers) in my '09. I bought their trail leader kit.. Then I did a Rubicon transfer case and sway bar with air unlock. Probably coulda saved some money by buying a Rubicon... my lockers stay locked and sway bar stays unlocked until I flip the switch though...

I'll put up some pix when I get a better connection.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Yoder409

30" mudders made me laugh.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve had 4. I’ve had a Jeep my entire adult life.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had to, both 79’s. One white with a 304 I really miss the jeep. And one black with 259? Took that one up to my cabin in the Adirondacks and ran it all through the woods :-) had a blast with that damn thing. Threw a set of chains on it and it was next to impossible to stop.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BamBam
I had to, both 79’s. One white with a 304 I really miss the jeep. And one black with 259? Took that one up to my cabin in the Adirondacks and ran it all through the woods :-) had a blast with that damn thing. Threw a set of chains on it and it was next to impossible to stop.

Close... 258. Those inline 6’s are almost on Cummins level for being awesome.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[/quote]
Close... 258. Those inline 6’s are almost on Cummins level for being awesome. [/quote]

Except the 258s are gutless as h*ll. Fine for bouncing over rocks at 2 MPH, but try to climb a two-hundred foot sand hill! wink

Had a POS 258 in our 83 CJ7. The factory carb on it was a joke. Cajon Pass in so Cal at 35 MPH in 2nd! Got tired of it and stuffed in an AMC 401 V8, pretty much a direct bolt in except motor mounts, which bolt to the frame. What a difference! The 85 MPH speedo could be buried and brought back up the other side! LOL

Ken
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Oh, and on our '03 Rubicon, it's 4.0L inline 6 pitched a rod out the side of the block at 115,000 miles, going up a highway grade and "driving it like a white man". This was in 2nd gear of it's auto trans. Impeccable maintenance on it since we bought it new.

I'm just not sold on inline 6s, of course I'm not into slow-going rock crawling. I like to be able to have some acceleration, like getting onto a freeway without getting rear-ended by an 18-wheeler!! Give me a V8 any day!

Ken
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh, and on our '03 Rubicon, it's 4.0L inline 6 pitched a rod out the side of the block at 115,000 miles, going up a highway grade and "driving it like a white man". This was in 2nd gear of it's auto trans. Impeccable maintenance on it since we bought it new.

I'm just not sold on inline 6s, of course I'm not into slow-going rock crawling. I like to be able to have some acceleration, like getting onto a freeway without getting rear-ended by an 18-wheeler!! Give me a V8 any day!

Bummer... I’ve had over 250k on a few, beating the hell out of them, neglecting oil changes, and just being a douchebag 🤷🏼‍♂️

V8’s are cool, I’ll probably put a hemi in my JK if I can manage to blow it up.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

"Had a POS 258 in our 83 CJ7. The factory carb on it was a joke. "

I had an 83 or 5, can't remember, but the carb on it's 258 screwed up & I put one of those progressive two barrel Webbers on it. That pepped things up quite a bit, really impressed.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunzo

I had an 83 or 5, can't remember, but the carb on it's 258 screwed up & I put one of those progressive two barrel Webbers on it. That pepped things up quite a bit, really impressed.

I did that to my 87 YJ (I know I know YJ) but you’re right it’s a game changer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CEoW717

Do we even call a TJ a Jeep? whistle

[Linked Image]
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CEoW717

Do we even call a TJ a Jeep? whistle

I put parenthesis!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I left the tops off my CJ's a lot, just a wet seat, YJ's good spring packs, that's all. TJ's, get the CJ's out of the way on the trail. Just do't treat the T's like the old ones. Leave the top off for a few days in the rain. ERROR codes, chit not working, great suspension, but, the good with the bad I guess.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put YJ springs on my 69 CJ6...Great option if not going coils.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an 86 CJ7- biggest POS I have ever owned. Bought it in 90 with 60k miles. The top had already been replaced, it leaked like a sieve around the cowl, had numerous oil leaks, and needed a carb rebuild. Paid $3500 and sold it for $4500 6 months later. I had Geo Tracker for a while too-basically an overgrown street legal UTV. It got killed when an oak tree fell on it. Bought a FJ Cruiser in 14 and still have it. It will go anywhere the Jeep would and us dead reliable, but you couldn’t pay me to take it on a cross country trip.

Who is John Galt?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

when you have time

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Put YJ springs on my 69 CJ6...Great option if not going coils.

Seems I recall a thread where you were changing the spring mounts to the wider ones. Curious then as to why you didn't do a shackle reversal when you had the chance. Has that cone out of favor?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not a fan of the shackle reversal. It is good off road, but the street handling is funky. I did it on my CJ2a and my brother's CJ7, we both decided that it didn't give enough advantage off road to be worth the sketchy road handling.

[Linked Image]
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My first one, circa 1980, did not last long.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I like a jeep as much as anybody. Currently shopping for another. But...

They're not very good quality. Owning one for normal use is a minor hobby in itself.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I like a jeep as much as anybody. Currently shopping for another. But...

They're not very good quality. Owning one for normal use is a minor hobby in itself.

Are you looking for a newer Jeep or an older?

The older Jeeps started out as farm equipment so yes, always need tinkering. Newer Jeeps are better daily drivers and quality has improved greatly, but trying to retain some of the old usability.

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Looked local and nearby for a CJ5 project.
Damn I shoulda kept my '82.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
Looked local and nearby for a CJ5 project.
Damn I shoulda kept my '82.

My 71 is for sale... whistle

Just a few items left to do...easy project.

[Linked Image]
L
L
There is a turn key ready to drive CJ on The Hull Truth- trucks and trailers for sale section- $8000

Last edited by LowcountryRebel; 02/07/21.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
1985 CJ7 did a complete frame off on it. Ford 5.0, Ford T18 4 speed, Ford 9" Currie front and rear axles. I never painted using anything other than a rattle can or brush until this project. Learned as I went. It's almost like a brand new Jeep except with some refinements.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Using it last fall to take my deer stand to the woods, as I intended to use it for many years.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A big Jeep thing was the ability to keep all the fragile stuff up above the frame. I had one of these '77 Wagoneers. For a station wagon, it had amazing clearance, much better than most pickups even.

[Linked Image from cdn.hiconsumption.com]

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one has been a fun project. May need to sell it this spring to fund a new bigger tractor.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 30338
This one has been a fun project. May need to sell it this spring to fund a new bigger tractor.

Damn that’s sexy

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They were useful to serve as inspiration for the Land Rover.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper

🙄

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still doing a 78 Toyota Landcruiser here. Need to sell it though, as it's not getting much use. Spending more on insurance than fuel.

1Minute
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jim1611
1985 CJ7 did a complete frame off on it. Ford 5.0, Ford T18 4 speed, Ford 9" Currie front and rear axles. I never painted using anything other than a rattle can or brush until this project. Learned as I went. It's almost like a brand new Jeep except with some refinements.

Using it last fall to take my deer stand to the woods, as I intended to use it for many years.

Very nice! But is it really a Jeep when all the stuff that makes it go comes from a Ford?

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Very nice! But is it really a Jeep when all the stuff that makes it go comes from a Ford?

I don’t understand crossbreeding but to each their own.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Cuz some folks thought jeeps were just too reliable.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Actually it was the Landcruiser..

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 2003and2013, 65 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.