[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Entirely a matter of opinion
Owned some in the 70s when I was young and dumb, every dime I could rake and scrape I stuffed down the last rabbit hole I owned (74 model).
while I realize the newer models are a whole different animal and are better, for most people it's more of a cult following than anything else.

offroad ability? one of the best
reliability? still not good
mileage? sucks
cool factor? pretty high
for an old fart like me ? I'm too old to be cool, too old to work on stuff, too broke to feed one.

If I were 25 again I would likely be all over one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Meh, not really. I've owned two Cj5's, a full custom '46 Cj2a, a Grand, and two of the newer JkU's in the Rubicon. I'd have to agree with hillbill, with the Rubicon it's pretty good offroad from the factory, with a good lift it's even better and tough to beat on trails. The rest is subjective. If they'd figure out how to avoid recalls, and up the HP a bit I'd be more apt to agree. Gas mileage sucks in every good off-roader I've ever owned.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Owned one back in high school. Wouldn't again as a daily under any circumstance.

For my general wheeling, mud and hunting - a Tacoma is the bar to beat and not many do. May not be for everyone.

Me

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep, BTDT. I cut my teeth learning to wrench on my Jeep but I don't miss it a bit. If I ever build another off-roader it probably won't be a Jeep.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a 76 Levi Edition with v8 and quadratrac. At the moment everything is functioning nicely. That was all new fluids, new plugs, new tires, new shocks, new brakes, new axles, new starter, new seats, new ignition switch and fuel filter. Its our ice cream run truck and we putz around on nice days in it. Don't think I'd take it 10 miles off road probably but it may be just fine. Never know lol.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In the second picture, is the dude with the ear ring looking for a wrench... or... ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
In the second picture, is the dude with the ear ring looking for a wrench... or... ?

Lunch time. He's after his avocado toast.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree, you can't beat a good jeep, I have three jeeps and use them all for ranch work and hunting, 2005 LJ 176,000 ranch miles no hi-way miles, 2017 Ruby, and a 2020

Gladiator, I've tried every make of 4 wheel drive pickup you can buy in the U.S.A. the modern pickup's are made by lawyer's for little league mom's and town driver's,

That includes the Jap trucks, Tacoma's, won't last a year here, did have 1 that lasted about 1 1/2 years, out of three we bought, they wont pull a greased string out of a cats asss in the sand.

I drive a jeep every day almost all day, gas mileage sucks, but so does everything else that's in 4 wheel drive 80% the time, take care of a jeep and it will take care of you.

Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would agree that there isn't a factory built, road legal, 4x vehicle that would beat a modern Jeep. I had a '97 TJ for 20 years and had no more problems with it than any other 4x4 vehicle I've owned, and I've owned more than a few.

Fun for long highway drives - no
Good gas mileage - no

But then neither of those things were design goals.
Of the twenty plus vehicles I've owned over the years, none had a fun factor equaling the Jeep. And when I sold it after 20 years, I got more than 1/2 what I paid for it new. Match that with your Taco.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I would agree that there isn't a factory built, road legal, 4x vehicle that would beat a modern Jeep. I had a '97 TJ for 20 years and had no more problems with it than any other 4x4 vehicle I've owned, and I've owned more tha a few.

Fun for long highway drives - no
Good gas mileage - no

But then neither of those things were design goals.
Of the twenty plus vehicles I've owned over the years, none had a fun factor equaling the Jeep. And when I sold it after 20 years, I got more than 1/2 what I paid for it new. Match that with your Taco.

Bought a Taco with 80k on it for 6 grand. Didn't put a dime other than brake pads and wiper blades into it for another 150k miles.

Sold it for 2k.

Having owned both - there isn't anyone I know personally that has those kind of miles on a Jeep without issues. FOR ME the Taco lasts longer, more comfortable, more useful for hunting, camping etc and less expensive to own.

I'm not telling anyone what to own or drive - just that FOR ME, a Jeep would never be my daily.

In actuality, the best vehicle I've ever owned of any stripe was a CVPI.

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To be faaaiiir, I love Jeeps.

But I hate them too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'ma jeep guy all the way, for what I do, I sold my 1993 Wrangler with 300,000 ranch miles on it for $ 6500.00 to a rancher not far away and he uses the hell out of it. most trucks or pickup's will work for most people, they just won't work for what we use them for every day.

Most of the people that hunt here on the fire, maybe hunt a couple of weeks a year some a little more, we hunt from Sept. 1 till March every year. usually about 5 day's every week, we finished this year on March 8 th. now we get a little time off, then start getting ready to hunt next year.
Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a '96 Square-okee 4.0L 5-speed on 30" mudders.

Could NOT stop it from going forward unless you ran into a tree. Low range and 2nd & 3rd gear...…...you were going SOMEWHERE. Put 180K miles on it and sold it with the original clutch/pressure plate AND exhaust still very intact. Made me 22-23 MPG around town.

Went to take a 2-man treestand down one time. Had my brother follow me on our 4WD Case-International 695 so we could lower the stand with the loader. Went up a steep woods road then cut straight up a skidder path along a REALLY steep power line. We got the stand down and went to leave. Brother (on a 60 HP 4WD tractor, mind you) said, "Now......….how do I get outta here WITHOUT going back down the way you brought me up ??? I ain't going back out THAT way !! "

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Lunch time. He's after his avocado toast.

That’s a range bag. Pic is from a Viktos ad I was in with my Jeep.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Had a '96 Square-okee 4.0L 5-speed on 30" mudders.

Could NOT stop it from going forward unless you ran into a tree. Low range and 2nd & 3rd gear...…...you were going SOMEWHERE. Put 180K miles on it and sold it with the original clutch/pressure plate AND exhaust still very intact. Made me 22-23 MPG around town.

Went to take a 2-man treestand down one time. Had my brother follow me on our 4WD Case-International 695 so we could lower the stand with the loader. Went up a steep woods road then cut straight up a skidder path along a REALLY steep power line. We got the stand down and went to leave. Brother (on a 60 HP 4WD tractor, mind you) said, "Now......….how do I get outta here WITHOUT going back down the way you brought me up ??? I ain't going back out THAT way !! "

My first vehicle was a 2 door XJ 5 speed... I still own it 21 years later.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice Cherokee!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Very nice Cherokee!

Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,857 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,524
Posts18,452,784
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.