Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Been re-reading (The Thousand-Mile War) WW2 In Alaska and the Aleutians, by Brian Garfield, in it the book they mentioned the Film (Report From the Aleutians) pretty good watch if you're interested in the forgotten war.

Report from the Aleutians released after the war in 1943

https://youtu.be/FOF8FQKlUyY

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought this post was going to be about the Iditarod........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have a point there Hank,,not gonna be a cakewalk this year! We were camped at Egypt Mtn and sledded 2 bison across the trail,,, the result was very colorfull !!!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bet that was sporty!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Get good bison? I won't get back to Egypt Mountain until September.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Put down the Bison and watch the movie!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If thats to me don't worry, we killed cable a long time ago. A few minutes of TV now and then but now and again a night of youtube! Will watch it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That's a good book - really lays out the hardships of warfare in the Aleutians... and shows why it was such an effort to keep things functioning militarily.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Read that book back in the early 80s... very good book and very informative..

war in Aleutians certainly wasn't for the faint of heart...we lost a lot of good men to weather...
a lot more than were ever killed by the Japanese...

and also a big loss of equipment, that had a short operational life span in that environment.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Watched it last night. Thanks for sharing. Was good and wife and I made all kinds of comments what they went through and seemed to do fine IE made the best of it, vs all the bitchin about whats going on with C19 right now...

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That was a tough bunch of hombres. The Japs bit off more than they could chew up there. They underestimated the difficulties and the Alaskans.

Last edited by reivertom; 03/21/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was stationed on Adak in the late 80's. Very interesting place. You can and would get all four seasons in a day. Great fishing and hunting. Got my first Caribou there. Tundra is a Bit*h, one has to be careful where one steps.. You can still see any where they built anything during WWII, anything into the tundra is still present and easy to see. Would love to see what it is like now that the Navy has left.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad was ther 18 months during the war. He always said it was Hell on Earth.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by rost495
If thats to me don't worry, we killed cable a long time ago. A few minutes of TV now and then but now and again a night of youtube! Will watch it.

How would you have time for TV with 53,000 posts on this forum? You must either be a liberal or a democrat because you can't possibly have a job with that many posts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN

Hell on earth is anything above 90 degrees to me... LOL.

But its always interesting, and I'm SO thankful, that one mans beauty is anothers hell. Keeps us spread out at least.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WDH

How would you have time for TV with 53,000 posts on this forum? You must either be a liberal or a democrat because you can't possibly have a job with that many posts.

FOAD. Some people work a LOT more than you think they do. They do things while lazy liberals sleep.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WDH

FOAD. Some people work a LOT more than you think they do. They do things while lazy liberals sleep.

So if you’re not a jobless democrat you must not have a life. What if this website shuts down? You will of lost all that is important to you. Do you ever go outside? I’m sure you do have to work a lot more than most people as your internet bill must be outrageous. But more than likely you’re a liberal with an Obama phone...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Stir it you little bitch. LMAO. Funniest part is I could care less but its fun messing back with idiots like you.

Trust me I'll come out way better than you. I stomp roaches like you.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Stir it you little bitch. LMAO. Funniest part is I could care less but its fun messing back with idiots like you.

Trust me I'll come out way better than you. I stomp roaches like you.

I bet you’re good at stomping the roaches in your “house” trailer.

We both know you care. This website is your world. So so pathetic. You should try hunting sometime!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN

Hell on earth is anything above 90 degrees to me... LOL.

But its always interesting, and I'm SO thankful, that one mans beauty is anothers hell. Keeps us spread out at least.

Not starting a fight with you Rost, but wondering what branch of service you served in? Did you see war? Where you hunted and shot at? Have bomb runs overhead? Have you killed many humans? There was more to my dad's comment than your weather. However, the weather was a Bitch. Which Island do you live on or are you in the mainland?

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.