Print Thread
Hop To
#14635349 03/06/20
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I had a new string and cables installed about 5 years ago. Shot about 100 times and have not shot since. String was always waxed and not dirty or abused. Stored in a soft case under the bed. Should this string still be ok to shoot or should I replace ?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had the same string & cables on my compound bow since 1979. I took it in to the local archery shop to have them replaced and the owner said they were fine....go figure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's fine, shoot it...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Good enough. Thanks guys.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
if they looked good and bow seems to shoot good just use the old strings

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
I've had the same string & cables on my compound bow since 1979. I took it in to the local archery shop to have them replaced and the owner said they were fine....go figure.

Steel cables and dacron string.

Go to the PBS banquet in a leisure suit LOL

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

The only issue I see is you can't wax under the servings and that's where they usually break. Dryer climates may also shorten string life.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
100 shots it's just breaking in lol.

I worry a lot. I don't really wanna see what happens when something breaks. 2-3 years is all I like to go. And if I buy a used bow, they get replaced immediately. But, mine are hunted hard and shot year round.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

The only issue I see is you can't wax under the servings and that's where they usually break. Dryer climates may also shorten string life.

I wonder if it would be worth dripping some liquefied wax under the servings? Or something like armor-all spray?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

I wonder if it would be worth dripping some liquefied wax under the servings? Or something like armor-all spray?

Absolutely not. Last thing you want is serving slipping. Or attracting dirt and it working it's way to the string material. Wax exposed string material only. I've seen strings with 15k+ shots on them. And never waxed.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake
I had a new string and cables installed about 5 years ago. Shot about 100 times and have not shot since.

Not a problem. Strings wear out from the same thing everything else does, cumulative stress. Heavy bows wear out strings and cables faster than bows of lower peak weight, light arrows are tougher on rigging than heavy arrows as the energy that doesn't go with the arrow, is contained by the string and cables, That Newton/Einstein thing.

I shoot year round with my collection of six bows, 50lb and 60lb, and I swap out rigging every 3 years. Even with six bows, that's a moderate amount of stress, and I haven't had but one failure in about 30 years of modern strings and cables. When the bow is at rest, stress is minimal, i.e. your rigging is about 100 shots old.

Experience is what you get,
When you don't get what you want ;-0
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've read you should replace every 2-years. I suppose if shot a few hundred arrows a week I would consider it. But I don't.

My old Mathews is a 2001 model. The serving is starting to show some wear and I ordered a new set of strings and cable yesterday. Good thing, too, as they are getting hard to find for this old bow. Almost had to to go custom!!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by DBT

Wax in and under your serving will cause problems. Never wax your serving.

Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I've read you should replace every 2-years. I suppose if shot a few hundred arrows a week I would consider it. But I don't.

My old Mathews is a 2001 model. The serving is starting to show some wear and I ordered a new set of strings and cable yesterday. Good thing, too, as they are getting hard to find for this old bow. Almost had to to go custom!!

I see no reason to not go custom, the price differences are negligible and I get exactly what I want from one source instead of searching all over creation...JME/JMO.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.