Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
This article ran in the local paper back in 2008 but I think about the son finding his dad's Garand. My dad was in WWII and being the oldest son, I always wanted to hear some war stories. He was shot up bad and he rarely talked about his time in the service. Bad memories I am sure.

Anyway Dad was already gone when this article ran and I still think about it.

http://www.mlive.com/living/flint/index.ssf/2008/09/jim_richardsons_search_for_the.html

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I searched high and low, to no avail of course, for the Springfield Armory Garand my dad carried in the Battle of The Bulge. He knew the S/N by heart until Alzheimer’s begin winning the battle. At a gun show I found one made in the same month as his…a few thousand digits away. This would be as close as I’d realistically ever get and I snagged it. All correct, safe queen!

Sent it to a friend at the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit @ Ft Benning just up the road and they tinkered with it, keeping all the original parts intact. She groups under an inch and a half @ 100 with the issued iron sights and match loads. Love shooting this old gal. She’s taken a number of deer for me each Veteran’s Day when I carry it to the woods to honor my old man.

Proud that that guy found his dads! Wonderful news.

Last edited by Godogs57; 08/16/21.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
WOW!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Great story, they are fun to shoot.

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It is a great story. Good to see it again.

Retired cat herder.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Outstanding read. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is pretty cool.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Good read. Thanks for posting.

Godogs57,

Originally Posted by Godogs57
I searched high and low, to no avail of course, for the Springfield Armory Garand my dad carried in the Battle of The Bulge. He knew the S/N by heart until Alzheimer’s begin winning the battle. At a gun show I found one made in the same month as his…a few thousand digits away. This would be as close as I’d realistically ever get and I snagged it. All correct, safe queen!

Sent it to a friend at the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit @ Ft Benning just up the road and they tinkered with it, keeping all the original parts intact. She groups under an inch and a half @ 100 with the issued iron sights and match loads. Love shooting this old gal. She’s taken a number of deer for me each Veteran’s Day when I carry it to the woods to honor my old man.

Also a good story. Glad to hear the guys at the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit @ Ft Benning hooked you up. I was a member of the US Army Marksmanship Unit stationed a Ft. Benning from 1977-1980.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story. It would be interesting to me to see who carried my M1.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roverboy
Great story. It would be interesting to me to see who carried my M1.

This ^^
I have 3 of them. Only one is a WWII rifle. It is also a Greek return. I wonder how many commies and Germans or Japs it killed ?

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Proud that that guy found his dads! Wonderful news.

Your story is a great one also, godogs. Thanks for sharing.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Great story - Thank you!

Retired USAF
NRA Benefactor Member/Golden Eagle
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Dad would have been 101 years old today. He did make it to 83 though. I sure wish I could have heard some stories but maybe not. I am sure he went through hell in the Philippines where he got shot up. I was too young to be drafted and Dad wasn't encouraging us boys to go. Thanks to all who served!!

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 3,077 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.