Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Trying to get an ideal on the value of a New Haven made Safari Express classic in 375 H&H value . Gun has not been hunted . Is it worth more than the current made models ?

Thanks in advance

BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I just looked at about 500 of the before I found a pre war. For 1200 they don’t sell. Seems like $850-1000 is the magic number.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hmmm, well, I would pay more for a New Haven M70 than a new production one. I would want the serial number to start with a “G” and probably less than 399XXX. I just paid $1100+ shipping for a lightly used 416 (hopefully, still waiting for it). A new Portugal gun will cost more.

I hear mostly good about the new ones, The wood may be better from the examples I’ve seen. The big detractor on the new M70s seems to be the trigger. While it seems to be fine, it’s a step down from the old one. But I’m not an expert. I’m sure those guys will be along shortly.

yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G 343xxx

Last edited by yar; 03/05/20.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Most of those are bringing something in the $1300-1350 range - possibly more IF the box, tags, papers etc., are with the rifle... But basically it all boils down to condition..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yar: By coincidence my local gun/pawn shop has one of these for sale - it is in mint condition and the consignment price is $1,200.00.
I will venture back there today and try to ascertain exactly which of the more current (more current than "pre-64"!) models this Model 70 is.
Good luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Yar: By coincidence my local gun/pawn shop has one of these for sale - it is in mint condition and the consignment price is $1,200.00.
I will venture back there today and try to ascertain exactly which of the more current (more current than "pre-64"!) models this Model 70 is.
Good luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The rifle is worth about $900. The consignment fee is usually 20% of sale price so the asking price from standpoint of the seller is reasonable.
On Accurate Reloading Big Bore forums there are rumors of Czeska Zbrojowka 550 Magnum being discontinued if true it might be worthwhile to get the Magnum receiver big-bore rifle instead of Winchester. Naturally such large action needs something larger than .375H&H. The .416 Rigby or .458 Lott comes to mind.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yar: The actual price is $1,175.00 and the serial number is "Gxxxx".
Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance - and this, as I was told a while back the consignment fee at this shop is 10%. I don't sell guns - I only buy them so not 100% positive of that but that was what the part-time clerk said.
Good luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Yar: The actual price is $1,175.00 and the serial number is "Gxxxx".
Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance - and this, as I was told a while back the consignment fee at this shop is 10%. I don't sell guns - I only buy them so not 100% positive of that but that was what the part-time clerk said.
Good luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A 4 digit classic. Now that is rare indeed. Considering they started with a 5 digit serial #. I'm assuming that may be one of the custom shop models that were put out slightly before '92. Or else you read the serial wrong... At any rate, if it is indeed a very early classic, it's going to be of a lot better quality than the one the op is asking about. Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As the story goes, Winchester was turning out custom shop rifle in CRF clear back in 88. Then when they decide to go classic route in 92 they started off at g10000. I saw a 4 digit super grade at the lgs in a 06, I was hot after something else. Went back couple weeks later it was gone. Only wanted $1100 for it.. Some more internet lore, they say all those 4 digit crf rifles were made from left over pre 64 parts..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
As the story goes, Winchester was turning out custom shop rifle in CRF clear back in 88. Then when they decide to go classic route in 92 they started off at g10000. I saw a 4 digit super grade at the lgs in a 06, I was hot after something else. Went back couple weeks later it was gone. Only wanted $1100 for it.. Some more internet lore, they say all those 4 digit crf rifles were made from left over pre 64 parts..

That's pretty cool info. Like I said though, ol varmintmaster trying to compare a very early classic (that may have come out of the custom shop) to a last year 7 digit classic... Tell me how you feel about that one? Ha ha...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's pretty cool info. Like I said though, ol varmintmaster trying to compare a very early classic (that may have come out of the custom shop) to a last year 7 digit classic... Tell me how you feel about that one? Ha ha...

What are you talking about? The gun the OP was asking about is a very nice 6 digit classic made in late 2000 or early 2001.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

As pointed out Yar rifle is a 6 digit made before sn G350xxx. I be curious to know if Winchester even made 7 digits in the 375 H&H

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

As pointed out Yar rifle is a 6 digit made before sn G350xxx. I be curious to know if Winchester even made 7 digits in the 375 H&H

Oh, Im sorry, earlier he said it was made in 2006. That was in another thread he started..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

What are you talking about? The gun the OP was asking about is a very nice 6 digit classic made in late 2000 or early 2001.

Originally Posted by yar
Blued, wood stock I think 2006 manufactured , Safari Express. Little detail might help.lol

That's what the fu ck im talking about..^^^ Anymore questions?

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is an example of a 4 digit super grade that was made in the custom shop. I do recall all early 4 digits were custom shop rifles as well.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...hop-super-grade-nib.cfm?gun_id=101309694

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Originally Posted by yar
Blued, wood stock I think 2006 manufactured , Safari Express. Little detail might help.lol

That's what the fu ck im talking about..^^^ Anymore questions?

Calm down bud...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Here is an example of a 4 digit super grade that was made in the custom shop. I do recall all early 4 digits were custom shop rifles as well.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...hop-super-grade-nib.cfm?gun_id=101309694

That’s a beauty of a rifle. I have never seen a 4 digit Classic. Pretty darned cool.

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should clarify most not all were custom shop made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
455 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.