Why wouldn't it disappear?

Why WOULD it disappear?

Supply and demand. That's why.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
No,the 9.3x62 won't disappear because of supply and demand. Lead times may get longer but I don't see a caliber that's been successful for over 100 years going away due to lack of interest.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 03/12/20.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been "gunny" ever since I was a kid (over 70 years) and to this day I have never seen a 9.3x62. The only awareness I had of them was an occasional reference to them in some magazine article about Africa, it seems that the only place I still seen some mention of them is on the 'campfire. I am not so sure that they are disappearing but more like they were never made much of a dent in the U.S.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, drover they sure are gunny for it in Europe where everyone chambers for it and a ton of hunters swear by it like many Americans swear by the 06 for many of the same reason; it gets the job done in a steady workmanlike manner just with a lot more oommmppphhhh than the 06.

The way life should be.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
I have been "gunny" ever since I was a kid (over 70 years) and to this day I have never seen a 9.3x62. The only awareness I had of them was an occasional reference to them in some magazine article about Africa, it seems that the only place I still seen some mention of them is on the 'campfire. I am not so sure that they are disappearing but more like they were never made much of a dent in the U.S.

drover

I can't remember ever seeing one either but when you read here you think it's the rage.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I can only find two gun makers chambering this cartridge anymore; Ruger for Lipsey's and Cooper. While never tremendously popular like a 30-06, for what it is is its popularity waning?

Did you happen to miss this recent thread where scores of hunters have had jess rebore guns to 9.3, bought used, or new guns? I and others have put away thousands of lbs of big game meat in the food cache usising the ole nine three.

Enjoy (especially Ted's posts!):

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14577770/1

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm

Because it has been one of the best calibers in the world for over 100 years. Very popular in both Europe and Africa. I got a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 nearly 20 years ago and it is a fantastic caliber. Let me guess, you've never tried it right?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
I can only find two gun makers chambering this cartridge anymore; Ruger for Lipsey's and Cooper. While never tremendously popular like a 30-06, for what it is is its popularity waning?

Did you happen to miss this recent thread where scores of hunters have had jess rebore guns to 9.3, bought used, or new guns? I and others have put away thousands of lbs of big game meat in the food cache usising the ole nine three.

Enjoy (especially Ted's posts!):

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14577770/1

Ted has done much with his many postings here and on CGN to spread the 9.3 virus here in Canada.

M
M

Zastava still offers their LK M70 CRF bolt action rifle in 9.3X62mm, but it's not on the current list of the current US importer, Zastava Arms USA.

Manufacturer's site link

https://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/sporting-rifle-m70/

Current importers site link

https://zastavaarmsusa.com/product/sporting-rifle-lk-m70/

The CZ 550 was also available in 9.3X62mm, but I understand as secondhand info the CZ 550 is being dropped from routine manufacture, though it may be available through custom orders.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of the things we here in the US should keep in mind is that the cartridge and firearm development sun does not set in the butt of American developers....and it never did. We're pretty doggone good at it but in a lot of instances what we "discovered" recently the Europeans had known for 100+ years. Doesn't mean a lot in the long run. 6.5 and 7mm's are no better in reality than our 270, 280 and other American cartridges in that class. 8mm is for all intents and purposes matched by any of several 30 cal. cartridges. Our 35 Whelen for all practical purposes is the equal of the 9.3 X 62. The Germans and Austrians just got there a generation ahead of us. That's all true and coming from a fan of European cartridges. I hope they're ALL around at least til the good Lord calls me home!

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
M
M
Well, I like my rifles chambered for 7X64mm Brenneke because the cartridge was developed for bolt action rifles from its genesis in 1917, and the factory barrel twist rate of 1:8.7 inches. It doesn't make it "better" nor "worse" than .280 Remington but it's better suited for my uses of a 7mm cartridge with a 63-64mm (standard long action) case length.

It's opposite directionally for me, liking my 7mm-08 rifles more than 7X57mm. There's a wider array of factory ammunition and their 1:10 inches rifling twist rate is fine for projectiles as long as the 160 grain Accubond which is reasonable to load without excessive intrusion into the powder column section of the X51mm case. That's where I see my 7X64mm rifles showing their differentiation: 160+ grain projectiles which are longer as well as heavier. But I don't see 7mm-08 as either "better" or "worse" than 7X57. It's a better "fit" for me in my philosophy on how I developed my personal accumulation of rifles.

I've heard tales of hunters who had BAR's converted to use 9.3X62mm cartridges. Certainly not for wide use outside the USA with semiautomatic rifles not being allowed for hunting in many other countries. I haven't personally met anyone who did that yet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My sole 7mm rifle is an authentic, Wilhelm Brenneke on a 98 with a 28 in. barrel and chambered for the 7 X 64 Brenneke. My latest double rifle, a Vierordt, was apparently re-chambered from the 8 X 62R Vierordt to the 8 X 65R Brenneke in Prague in 1941. Then when it came to the US as a war trophy some ham handed individual screwed with the chambers and I had to use 30R Blaser cases as the donor. It shoots quite well now....finally.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There seems like plenty of choice here to me. The Sauer 100 has a list price of only $800.

https://www.eurooptic.com/93x62-rifles.aspx

Last edited by postoak; 03/23/20.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am with you Sharps4590. I too have an affinity for older obscure cartridges that have gone right on filling the larder for over a 100 years. Newer and faster dont mean better. A hunter doesnt need to shoot 500 yards. A shooter maybe, but not a hunter.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I love my Sako black bear in 9.3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice guns, great round. I especially like geedubya's continual parade of very nice toys...

This one was traded in, traded out. It's about too nice to take hunting.

A full house AHR 9.3x62 CZ; shot about as good as it looked..

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ringworm

Exactly.

Fine in Africa perhaps, but for 99.9 % of what is hunted here by 99.9% of hunters it’s pointless. But then, so are most Medium Bores.

Speak for yourself Brad,, a medium is perfect in Alaska!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
This one was traded in, traded out. It's about too nice to take hunting.

A full house AHR 9.3x62 CZ; shot about as good as it looked..

That is ONE nice rifle right there!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Supercub.

You are rght. Besides being too nice to drag thru the woods, the LOP was a tad long for me and it was a bit on the heavy side.

But, with JB's famous loads, it was a tack driver.

The new owner is a Fire contributor and he really likes it.

I would not pay was AHR charges for that level of work today. I was into it for about half that.

DF

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 007FJ, 16Racing, 163bc, 68 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.