OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They work great, until they don't. Then you are left wondering what happened? I've never had to wonder if my broadheads worked as advertised. But to each his own I guess.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If a mech head is in the cards for you...keep an eye out for the TriFecta. It's a new head a good friend of mine from TX designed. Offers several weights and configurations from a single ferrule. There are some vidieos from ATA showing the heads. They will be in my quiver this fall

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bbassi
They work great, until they don't. Then you are left wondering what happened? I've never had to wonder if my broadheads worked as advertised. But to each his own I guess.

Buddy that hunt with swears by Rage, and often swears at them when they don’t perform.

NRA Patron
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dale06

Buddy that hunt with swears by Rage, and often swears at them when they don’t perform.

I don't know. I killed a dozen with the standard 2" rage heads and then a like number with NAP 4 blade Spitfire Doublecross mechs and then a couple with the new Rage Xtremes. Never had a failure out of any of them. That's statistically a pretty damn good indication that they will do it the next time as well. And, one hell of a lot better odds than I can get that a fixed head will not plane when the shaft flexes at launch

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I shoot fixed blades from 180 to 272 fps without planing at launch.

But i run helical feathers or blazer vanes.

Plus my stuff is set up right

Have only shot 6 deer w mechanical broadheads. Recovered all, zero issues.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/16/20.
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll take this every time can get it. This is the chest as I opened it and before I removed the heart in the first picture.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14476186/chest

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been at this archery game since the 1960s we did not know what a mechanical was back then and we killed deer with all sorts of designs. Today I shoot a Rage . I guess I have killed around 150 deer with everything from Ben Pearson Deadheads, Bolos,Bear,, little Shavers, etc. Hit the deer where you should putting a hole in both lungs and you will soon be gutting it. Really it is that simple. I see guys taking shots with these new Super Duper heads from every angle , purposely shooting them in the guts or worse then saying the bh failed...BS they failed the basics of shot placement. Poke a deer thru both lungs with a sharp stick and it will die.

Last edited by 1bigdude; 01/18/20.
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The first deer I ever killed with a bow was about 1960. Basic 2 blade and the deer went <50 feet, laid down and died. The second one I killed with a bow was the following year, a doe and she died without going anywhere. That might have been the exact same head from the prior year. I experiment with a lot of different heads. NEVER had one fail. NEVER had a Mech head not open perfectly. Never had a fixed blade head fail on deer, BUT I have tested a number of them that did not make to grade for accuracy. I am now shooting a crossbow with power to throw in the toilet so big cut broad heads are of interest. I have seen well hit deer make it a ways when hit with 4 blade heads with 3 inches or so of cut and not put a drop of blood on the ground. @ inch Rage heads very often do not put blood on the ground for about 30 yards. That can make make it difficult to get on the blood once they start to leak.

When I cannot predict accurately if it will bleed, much less how much, I will opt for more cut every time and will continue to test heads that offer a lot of cut to improve my odds until I get to the point that I cannot drive that head all the way through every time. Small fixed heads often (usually) cause good blood on the ground, but that is not good enough for me. I have lost exactly two deer over a lifetime of killing them with guns and bows. Both with bows, both in the same year. One cost me three days of search (much of it on hands and knees) the other two days. One gave me just 3 drops of blood and I never found another drop. The other bled very well and at one point was stopping every 6 feet and dumping 1/2 cup of blood on each side on the edge of a swamp at 10-11 PM when I lost the blood trail until I came back the next day with decent light. I will take a head that can do what that Rage Xtreme did to the heart and right lung as shown in those pictures as long as it never shows me unreliability opening or innaccuracy. With them, even were the blades locked closed and could not open further than the closed position, I still have a pretty decent amount of cut. Had the head that I put through the buck in these pictures REMAINED fully closed, the buck might have lasted more than the under 4 seconds he did, and maybe the blood trail would not have been so gruesome, but he'd have still died and likely somewhere inside 100 yards.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Today anyone can walk into a sporting goods store and have their pick of a dozen or more broadhead designs the worst of which is light years ahead of what we had back in the day. Back then many hits were not recovered because the heads were used prior to being hone to a razor's edge, today both fixed and mechanical come with replacement blades that alone was a huge improvement. Now the novice can tear open the blister pack assemble the heads and go hunting that beats sitting at camp with a file and whet stone.
BTW a few years back I killed a big doe with a long bow and flints I knapped myself...just to prove SHOT PLACEMENT IS STILL THE KEY TO QUICK KILLS!!

IC B3

C
C
Haven't shot the extremes, but I've had really good luck with the Hypodermics the last couple years.

I am leaning towards trying a heavier fixed head next year. Been researching pros/cons and one thing I've seen mentioned is animal reaction from a big cut expandable vs COC (especially on a heavy arrow).

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Expandables will great...some of the time.

COC sharp fixed broad heads work great ALL of the time

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I used 100 gr Muzzys for 25 years and never really had a problem. About 5 years ago, I bought a crossbow and started using Rage 2 just for kicks. They are some nasty Mofo's. Never had a problem with them opening too soon or not opening. This year I upgraded to the Rage 2+. They're even better. The problem is that they're expensive and either I lose the arrow or the blades get bent. Occasionally I'll retrieve the arrow and they'll work again if the blades aren't bent. Killed 6 deer with them this year. I'll give them a 5 star rating.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i purchased a few dozen China nock-offs they are the same thing as the expensive Rages ,knock-offs were $12.00 a dozen free shipping ,they are made in the same place as Rage Broadheads ,these knock-offs are kinda hard to find now but look around on the internet you might find some more ?

Last edited by pete53; 03/07/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
I have been at this archery game since the 1960s we did not know what a mechanical was back then and we killed deer with all sorts of designs. Today I shoot a Rage . I guess I have killed around 150 deer with everything from Ben Pearson Deadheads, Bolos,Bear,, little Shavers, etc. Hit the deer where you should putting a hole in both lungs and you will soon be gutting it. Really it is that simple. I see guys taking shots with these new Super Duper heads from every angle , purposely shooting them in the guts or worse then saying the bh failed...BS they failed the basics of shot placement. Poke a deer thru both lungs with a sharp stick and it will die.

Exactly!

It is impossible for anything to live with two collapsed lungs.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by dale06

I don't know. I killed a dozen with the standard 2" rage heads and then a like number with NAP 4 blade Spitfire Doublecross mechs and then a couple with the new Rage Xtremes. Never had a failure out of any of them. That's statistically a pretty damn good indication that they will do it the next time as well. And, one hell of a lot better odds than I can get that a fixed head will not plane when the shaft flexes at launch

Thats a new one. A fixed head not flying right IE planing... I"ve NEVER had that issue over 100 kills over the years IF you are tuned right.

I have seen enough mechanical failures that it takes more than 10 fingers to count... a couple lead to dead deer. A couple never did. One took ALL day searching as the blades never opened but you just don't give up a hole in the lungs leads to dead close to 99% of the time I"d bet.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Would take a hard quartering away shot with mechanicals?

I sure wouldn't

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats a new one. A fixed head not flying right IE planing... I"ve NEVER had that issue over 100 kills over the years IF you are tuned right.

I've got an Excalibur Exomax Crossbow and this year I bought some 150 gr Slick Tricks. I shot the same bolt every time. 6" group at 20 yds. Thought I might have a bent bolt, so I changed to a 150 gr field point.... 1/4" group @ 20 yds. Change to 150 gr Schwacker.... 1/4" groups @ 20 yds. Change back to the Slick Tricks..... 6" group @ 20 yds.

Shooting the same bolt every time..... Tell me how to tune my crossbow.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
So fixed blades show a problem.
Could be fletching. Could be insert not square.

Mechanicals can lessen tune and arrow stability issues.

Too many think a positive trend seen means they have arrived at perfection.

And then they lose deer.

There certainly is good enough....but a lot of folks dont know what that really is.

I think more FOC to be a good thing. But a lot just want speed speed speed.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/09/20.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Oldman3

I've got an Excalibur Exomax Crossbow and this year I bought some 150 gr Slick Tricks. I shot the same bolt every time. 6" group at 20 yds. Thought I might have a bent bolt, so I changed to a 150 gr field point.... 1/4" group @ 20 yds. Change to 150 gr Schwacker.... 1/4" groups @ 20 yds. Change back to the Slick Tricks..... 6" group @ 20 yds.

Shooting the same bolt every time..... Tell me how to tune my crossbow.

dunno that answer, slick tricks fly just fine out of the one crossbow I have.

The over 100 kills comment is from compounds and recurves, you can tune them all.

I'm gonna have to say though, IF I had an issue, I'd bet you can tune a crossbow like anything else.

You do have to have enough accuracy to hit with. But I've seen enough mechanical failures to just be stubborn and say, fixed have ALWAYS worked( well old bear heads could bend the tip on a heavy bone and bounce back out but that was learned by my BIL and we quickly relegated them to other use)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.