Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by WDH
Originally Posted by OAM
Originally Posted by WDH
Can’t believe they still run that race. How many dogs will have to die? I bet the race doesn’t make it 10 more years. Get em PETA!!!

Here is the way I look at- 27 dogs died between 2004 and 2016. Usually a team starts with 16 dogs. There are on average 50 teams. So approximately 800 dogs run every year. So as many as 9,600 dogs ran between 2004-2016, 27 deaths. Those dogs have better odds of survival than my jack russel crapping in the backyard. Have you ever seen the iditarod? All those dogs want to do is mush. I love the race!

The dogs have been abused. You would run too if subject to such treatment. Yes I’ve seen the race. It’s pathetic. Time for it to go. They lose enough sponsors it will stop.

#doglivesmatter

These dogs are treated better than the babies in Planned Parenthood, so KMA.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't feed the democrat, boys.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Fugk PETA and similar groups.

It's About the income, aka fleecing the low intelligence, not about the critters.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by WDH
Originally Posted by OAM
Originally Posted by WDH
Can’t believe they still run that race. How many dogs will have to die? I bet the race doesn’t make it 10 more years. Get em PETA!!!

Here is the way I look at- 27 dogs died between 2004 and 2016. Usually a team starts with 16 dogs. There are on average 50 teams. So approximately 800 dogs run every year. So as many as 9,600 dogs ran between 2004-2016, 27 deaths. Those dogs have better odds of survival than my jack russel crapping in the backyard. Have you ever seen the iditarod? All those dogs want to do is mush. I love the race!

The dogs have been abused. You would run too if subject to such treatment. Yes I’ve seen the race. It’s pathetic. Time for it to go. They lose enough sponsors it will stop.

#doglivesmatter

Do you have any experience around iditarod kennels? I do. I can tell you that the dogs are very well cared for. Slightly unsocialized but very happy. They are bred for cold weather. Im the first guy to get pissed off about poor treatment of dogs. These dogs in general are treated very well. Better than most outdoor dogs in the state for sure. They are bred to run. Show them a harness or gangline and they go ballistic! They would rather run than sit on your couch.
You should take some time a vistit one of these kennels. Dont buy into Peta BS. The Great Alone is a good start for you. Good film. These guys are all about dog health.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shame on the anchorage muni for allowing those ads on the busses.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Shame on the anchorage muni for allowing those ads on the busses.

Worse, Alaska Air dropped out as a sponsor...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know. I sent them "feedback" via the web site. They thanked me for the message.

I'll see if I can post it.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Alaska Air Logo

March 5, 2020

Dear Mike,

I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska regarding our recent announcement of the discontinuance of our sponsorship for the Iditarod.

We can assure you that PETA did not play any role in our decision to end our Iditarod sponsorship. We have been part of the Iditarod for more than 40 years and are proud of our sponsorship, which was focused on dog health and safety. As we transition to our new corporate giving strategy, LIFT, with an emphasis on creating opportunities for young people in the communities where we fly, this is a good time to evaluate our sponsorships and make adjustments. As such, we are going to sponsor the 2020 race, giving the Iditarod Trail Committee time to secure new sponsors. We wish the best to the new Iditarod leadership team and the safe running of future races for both dogs and mushers.

Sincerely,

Erica B.
Customer Care Representative

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
WTF this is a great race those dogs are a special breed and love to run ! i hope this dog sled race " Iditarod " continues forever,it is the greatest dog sled race in the world ,maybe the greatest race in any sport of endurance,weather,for a person and his/her dogs . this is no candy ash race where everyone gets the same award ! these musher`s train all year long for this race with their dogs ,they live and breath dog sled racing ,just finishing the Iditarod is a great accomplishment. 1,000 miles,snow,cold below zero weather,many days on the trail ,feeding and taking care of their dog team alone,sleeping out in this cold climate , i wish them all a safe great run !

Last edited by pete53; 03/11/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i think some of these musher`s are laying in the weeds and just hangin back yet. i bet when they all get to around Kaltag area most of these musher`s will start push`n the dog team harder? > i am think`n Jesse Holmes is one of these musher`s just wait`n and when he gets to the Kaltag area Jesse is going to let `er buck ! these ladies in this dog sled race are dang tuff too,one of these ladies just might win too ? i figure Jesse top 10 again or maybe top 5 ,jesse is tuff and his dogs are in real good shape for this race.

Last edited by pete53; 03/11/20.

IC B3

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by ironbender
I know. I sent them "feedback" via the web site. They thanked me for the message.

I'll see if I can post it.

Good for you!

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Looks like Sass is in front still this morning in Ophir. Im suprised to see Mackey in third. It seems in past years he is middle of the pack early in the race. I was just looking at the weather out front of them. Suprised how warm its going to get. Only -8 in Ruby right now. Supposed to get up to 22 today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OAM
Looks like Sass is in front still this morning in Ophir. Im suprised to see Mackey in third. It seems in past years he is middle of the pack early in the race. I was just looking at the weather out front of them. Suprised how warm its going to get. Only -8 in Ruby right now. Supposed to get up to 22 today.

Place-keeping means little this early... just the difference between taking a rest just before and after checkpoints changes the appearances in the standings but does nothing about the real positions...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First scratch

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/A...afe-and-sound-Iditarod-48-568689401.html

'A huge relief': Lanier, dogs safe and sound but forced to scratch after hours-long stranding in Rainy Pass

'A huge relief': Lanier, dogs safe and sound but forced to scratch after hours-long stranding in Rainy Pass

By Beth Verge | Posted: Tue 7:30 PM, Mar 10, 2020 | Updated: Wed 6:20 AM, Mar 11, 2020

RAINY PASS, Alaska (KTUU) - For veteran Iditarod musher Jim Lanier, all was well leading up to the 48th running of the Last Great Race on Earth.

"We're ready, and we're in shape," Lanier said at the ceremonial start of the race this past Saturday. "I don't think I have anything to prove, but I've got a lot to enjoy.

"I really enjoy the support I get from just about everybody," he said, "and it's wonderful, hearing people say, 'Hey, We're glad you're here,' and, 'Go for it!' And that's what I'm going to do."

On Tuesday, however, things changed drastically for the 16-time finisher, who first ran the Iditarod in 1979 and had to run qualifiers to get into this year's race.

The 79-year-old made it 153 miles to the Rainy Pass checkpoint, departing from there at around 7:30 a.m. en route to Rohn. Following the Iditarod Insider GPS tracker, however, his position slowly dropped from the middle of the pack all the way the 57th place. Lanier's position would appear to hardly move for a six-hour span, concerning spectators, teammates, friends and family alike.

Eventually, his handler called Rainy Pass Lodge, saying the stop "was not part of his race plan," and triggering a rescue operation.

Thus, Steve Perrins — son of Steven H. Perrins, both part of the family that owns the lodge — was sent to find Lanier.

"With the wind chill out there right now, you get frostbite pretty darn quick," Steve Perrins said, adding that there was considerable concern over Lanier's condition in the event he was able to find the team. "I was getting cold just driving out there to go get him. You definitely need the right gear and even if you have it, it can be dangerous."

Perrins and a race official came across the team near the mouth of Rainy Pass itself, just one section of the trek to the next checkpoint in Rohn. Lanier was up and roving, Perrins said, but was lacking heat resources and was very obviously cold.

"But when we saw him out there with his dog team, it was a huge relief," said Perrins, to whom Lanier had said his dogs refused to run after coming up on a steep section of trail. "We didn't know what to expect, but he was in good shape when we got there, luckily."

Steven H. Perrins, who had stayed at the lodge while his son went out to look for the musher, said it was clear Lanier had run into other problems out on the trail after the attempt to return to Rainy Pass Lodge.

"He had tried to get his dogs to go up the hill," he said, "and was having a hard time, so he decided to turn around and come back. And he just got tired and cold and sat it out.

"So when they got to him," he said, "he needed help."

Lanier was brought back via snowmachine, and the race marshal mushed his dog team back to the checkpoint.

"He was in good spirits when he got here," Steven H. Perrins said of Lanier's arrival to Rainy Pass Lodge, "except he was disappointed that he had to scratch. But he's safe and healthy, and his dogs are back, and all is good.

"We were all relieved because Jim is getting up there in his years," he added, "doing this phenomenal feat for a man his age. The weather has been extremely cold, the winds have been blowing up here 25 to 35 (miles per hour), and the windchill has been way down, so we were all worried."

Despite a safe return to the lodge, and Lanier's best efforts to finish yet another Iditarod, he will be unable to do so. With his team being flown out of the pass, and per race protocol, Lanier will have to officially scratch, becoming the first to do so in Iditarod 48. This is his fifth scratch all-time.

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by OAM

Place-keeping means little this early... just the difference between taking a rest just before and after checkpoints changes the appearances in the standings but does nothing about the real positions...

I'm aware of that. More looking at their approach to the race in relation to past years. Like when Mackey won multiple consecutive races he hung way back. Then made a big charge late in the race.

Last edited by OAM; 03/11/20.
W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Good job Alaska Airlines!!!! Always on the forefront of change!

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by WDH

I sure wish you would take the time to read about the race and the stats. Really look into this independently and not just buy into Peta BS. If you want to make a difference in animal cruelty look first into your neighborhood. I bet there are plenty of pitbulls outside right now. Iditarod dogs are supreme athletes and are treated as such. Do you think a person striving to win this race is doing it with abused and malnourished animals? Come on man...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As much as I hate to ruin the fishing here...... you're being trolled, bud.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=WDH]Good job Alaska Airlines!!!! Always on the forefront of change

WDH > go down to Arizona if you wanna see dog cruelty ,pitbulls fenced in to protect a beat up old trailer house no water or food dishes and i am sure plenty drugs too inside the trailer. sled dogs in Alaska live like kings compared to this anyplace American trailer court trash people with pitbulls. >>> long live dog sled racing and the NRA !

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by WDH

You are NOT welcome at my campfire!

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.