Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by OAM
Originally Posted by WDH
Good job Alaska Airlines!!!! Always on the forefront of change!

I sure wish you would take the time to read about the race and the stats. Really look into this independently and not just buy into Peta BS. If you want to make a difference in animal cruelty look first into your neighborhood. I bet there are plenty of pitbulls outside right now. Iditarod dogs are supreme athletes and are treated as such. Do you think a person striving to win this race is doing it with abused and malnourished animals? Come on man...

Don't feed the democrat.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by OAM
Looks like Sass is in front still this morning in Ophir. Im suprised to see Mackey in third. It seems in past years he is middle of the pack early in the race. I was just looking at the weather out front of them. Suprised how warm its going to get. Only -8 in Ruby right now. Supposed to get up to 22 today.

Place-keeping means little this early... just the difference between taking a rest just before and after checkpoints changes the appearances in the standings but does nothing about the real positions...

Somebody gots ta break trail! This year, being out front early seems like a bad move except to get the poke of gold halfway.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by WDH
Can’t believe they still run that race. How many dogs will have to die? I bet the race doesn’t make it 10 more years. Get em PETA!!!

FOAD

its a forced race, the mushers hate it, the lying huskies would sue....

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by WDH
Originally Posted by OAM
Originally Posted by WDH
Can’t believe they still run that race. How many dogs will have to die? I bet the race doesn’t make it 10 more years. Get em PETA!!!

Here is the way I look at- 27 dogs died between 2004 and 2016. Usually a team starts with 16 dogs. There are on average 50 teams. So approximately 800 dogs run every year. So as many as 9,600 dogs ran between 2004-2016, 27 deaths. Those dogs have better odds of survival than my jack russel crapping in the backyard. Have you ever seen the iditarod? All those dogs want to do is mush. I love the race!

The dogs have been abused. You would run too if subject to such treatment. Yes I’ve seen the race. It’s pathetic. Time for it to go. They lose enough sponsors it will stop.

#doglivesmatter

How long have you been retarded........? Tough question.......? Sorry, how about, how old are you...?

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i see Jesse and few others are taking their 24 hr.required rest now,good ideal suppose to be cold tonight. old Mitch Seavey still sled`n along and in 3rd place now.

Last edited by pete53; 03/11/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by cwh2
As much as I hate to ruin the fishing here...... you're being trolled, bud.

🤣🤣

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Music_Man
Originally Posted by WDH

You are NOT welcome at my campfire!

I heard your campfires suck anyhow. Someone said the music sucks...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by WDH
Originally Posted by WDH

And now you will never know!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I heard somebody sucks alright

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I see that Seavey already dropped two dogs. Zirkle has climbed up a bit. I would sure like to see her finally win it but history says she wont.

IC B3

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WDH
Originally Posted by WDH

And now you will never know!

Whatever boomer

Originally Posted by rost495
I heard somebody sucks alright

This site needs a “like” button

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OAM
I see that Seavey already dropped two dogs. Zirkle has climbed up a bit. I would sure like to see her finally win it but history says she wont.

I am going out on a limb... Pete Kaiser and Joar will be in the top 5. Richie Diehl will be top 10. All three are young, extremely tough, with history as distance runners. They can take a lot of strain off the dogs and in a slow race that makes a lot more difference than in a fast race. Brent Sass will be top 10. Jessie Royer will be in the top 5. Mitch will be top 10. Aliy will not make top 10

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sitka those are good guess`s, i still think Jesse Holmes top 10 maybe better ,Jesse is in really good shape too. Mitch Seavy is one tuff old dude as they say he`s got true grit top 5. but right now its anyone`s race to win depends kinda on how their team holds up including musher?

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by OAM

I am going out on a limb... Pete Kaiser and Joar will be in the top 5. Richie Diehl will be top 10. All three are young, extremely tough, with history as distance runners. They can take a lot of strain off the dogs and in a slow race that makes a lot more difference than in a fast race. Brent Sass will be top 10. Jessie Royer will be in the top 5. Mitch will be top 10. Aliy will not make top 10

Interesting. I would be incline to agree with you. Although, I dont know much about Richie Diehl. I just looked him up and he is a smaller guy. He also still has all 14 dogs. In my mind that means the dogs are not having to work as hard. He may have a little extra gas in the tank later. My guess of the 5 we will see in the top 10- Joar, Sass, Marrs, Kaiser, Seavey, and we will see Zirkle somewhere in the 7th to 10th position. There are a few other names I would love to see in the top 10 but I doubt they make it.

Last edited by OAM; 03/12/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have known Richie and Pete for years. They are extremely polite and modest. Right after last year's race I watched them wrestle for fun. Richie won, but it took some doing. Strapping fellow in great shape jumped up and challenged Richie "right now!" Alex is well over 6' and probably has 30+ pounds on Richie and was a wrestler. It was over almost before it started.

In '18 Richie was running with the top 3 and his dogs got sick. He held his dogs back well past what the race vets required. He still almost made top ten.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I see Lance is moving up, Come back kennels is at it gain, still running lucky 13 dogs.....!

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have known Richie and Pete for years. They are extremely polite and modest. Right after last year's race I watched them wrestle for fun. Richie won, but it took some doing. Strapping fellow in great shape jumped up and challenged Richie "right now!" Alex is well over 6' and probably has 30+ pounds on Richie and was a wrestler. It was over almost before it started.

In '18 Richie was running with the top 3 and his dogs got sick. He held his dogs back well past what the race vets required. He still almost made top ten.

Thats a good story. I cant help but like Richie now! Hope he does well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just got back off trail. 8 malamutes, 10 days, 130 miles, 1200 lbs of gear and supplies, no caribou! Snow is too deep and the herd hasn't started moving back.

I've run a handful of Iditarod dogs and flew to Nome for the 2017 finish to pack up dogs for the flight home. I know and have met a lot of these guys and gals over the years. They all spend thousands on dog care. Dog mushing is as Alaskan as it gets. Support it and never give in to the ani-mushing orgs. To do so would be a cultural genocide.

Anyhow, as a musher, here's some insights on this year's race:

Brent Sass and Page Drobny have dogs that are miled up from the Quest. This level of stamina will really show in the final standings.

In 2017,I watched Jesse Royer pull into Nome with a full 16 dog team. She won't push her dogs hard, but will always finish competitively in the top 10. To make it to Nome with all your dogs is an immense accomplishment.

Lance had teams running non-stop on the Denali highway. His dogs are miled up. With all his health issues, regardless of final standings, he is one tough SOB. All will power. He can't handle cold due to damage from frost bite and circulation issues from being a cancer survivor. The fact thst he's in the top 10 is beyond words. His dogs recover faster than other dogs and in turn, motivates him. It comes from breeding a dog named Zoro. Zoro genes are in other kennels as well.

Holmes got a late start mileing up. Dogs not as miled up for as many months as other teams. Dogs may fade towards last third of the race.

If you're seeing 4-6 mph pace in front of pack (top 10), the trail is sht. It makes it easier for the back of the pack as trail gets more solid. This is a slow year, too much snow all over the state.

Mille porsild has a hodge-podge of dogs from at least 5 different kennels. Unrelated,it's a wonder she's doing so well with no fights. Truly remarkable. She, joar, chuck Schaefer from Ivik/kotz/willow and a couple others flew to Russia to race dogs. They cut up fremented walrus with axes, to boil down for dog food. She's done multi-thousand mile arctic expeditions with big freight huskies. Though a rookie, she's a very gifted dog driver.

Some of the race predictions here on this thread are amusing, and far fetched.

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Just got back off trail. 8 malamutes, 10 days, 130 miles, 1200 lbs of gear and supplies, no caribou! Snow is too deep and the herd hasn't started moving back.

I've run a handful of Iditarod dogs and flew to Nome for the 2017 finish to pack up dogs for the flight home. I know and have met a lot of these guys and gals over the years. They all spend thousands on dog care. Dog mushing is as Alaskan as it gets. Support it and never give in to the ani-mushing orgs. To do so would be a cultural genocide.

Anyhow, as a musher, here's some insights on this year's race:

Brent Sass and Page Drobny have dogs that are miled up from the Quest. This level of stamina will really show in the final standings.

In 2017,I watched Jesse Royer pull into Nome with a full 16 dog team. She won't push her dogs hard, but will always finish competitively in the top 10. To make it to Nome with all your dogs is an immense accomplishment.

Lance had teams running non-stop on the Denali highway. His dogs are miled up. With all his health issues, regardless of final standings, he is one tough SOB. All will power. He can't handle cold due to damage from frost bite and circulation issues from being a cancer survivor. The fact thst he's in the top 10 is beyond words. His dogs recover faster than other dogs and in turn, motivates him. It comes from breeding a dog named Zoro. Zoro genes are in other kennels as well.

Holmes got a late start mileing up. Dogs not as miled up for as many months as other teams. Dogs may fade towards last third of the race.

If you're seeing 4-6 mph pace in front of pack (top 10), the trail is sht. It makes it easier for the back of the pack as trail gets more solid. This is a slow year, too much snow all over the state.

Mille porsild has a hodge-podge of dogs from at least 5 different kennels. Unrelated,it's a wonder she's doing so well with no fights. Truly remarkable. She, joar, chuck Schaefer from Ivik/kotz/willow and a couple others flew to Russia to race dogs. They cut up fremented walrus with axes, to boil down for dog food. She's done multi-thousand mile arctic expeditions with big freight huskies. Though a rookie, she's a very gifted dog driver.

Some of the race predictions here on this thread are amusing, and far fetched.

Which predictions are far fetched specifically?

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
we can all make predictions ? that`s all they are is predictions. in the end it might not be any of them that have been mentioned that are in the winner`s circle ?
i still will say this Mitch Seavey at age 60 is doing dang good against much younger people and not many at 60 years of age can show this kind of desire or grit !

Last edited by pete53; 03/12/20.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.