Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Abby is the family dog. but she spends more time with me than anyone else in the house.. yesterday I asked my daughter about the chickens In the back yard. Abby was setting close by and she got up and went to the door and looked at the chickens in the back yard. then she looked at me for a second then came back and sit beside me.. she knew exactly what I was talking about... she is a Border collie and is extremely smart. but she knows more English than any dog I have ever had.. just so you know. HAHA

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Border Collie’s are some of the smartest dogs I’ve ever seen.

Labs and Healers are smart too. Just damn hardheaded.

I’ve seen some German Shepherd’s that are pretty damn smart too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
We have some English Sheppards on the place now that are smarter than hell.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had an Australian Shepard that understood conversations at about the level of a 2 year old kid. She understood a lot of different words and used to amaze me.

One day I told a friend I would meet him at the hardware store in 30 minutes. As I hung up the phone Blue ran to the door knowing I was going to get in the truck and I was in the upstairs room when I told my friend I'd meet him there. How she could learn such things is amazing.

That was not the only time either. She used to interact with me all the time understanding what I was talking about.

Blue was not a hunting dog at all. But one time I shot a deer and dropped in in a field from a fairly long ways off. I drove over there and walked around looking for it for about 20 minutes. It dropped at the shot, but I could not seem to find it. I then drove back up to my home and got Blue. I took her down there but was unsure if she's understand what I was trying to do. She followed me around for about 5 minutes and then looked at a place about 30 yards away and trotted over there and sat down. When I'd call her over she's run to me, but then run back and sit. So I walked to her and she was sitting next to the dead buck.

And she was never trained to do that.

She just seemed to know what to do all the time.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Great stories.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
They spend a fair amount of time observing. Smart little creatures

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I wouldn't be able to list my Lab's vocabulary. He's with me all day and I just talk to him like a person. He knows the names of a few people that come around and he loves having company.

I told him today that my son was coming to visit and he went to the window to watch for him.

He started picking up on certain words when he was just a few months old.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In my younger days I had a blue heeler that was extremely intelligent. He was my constant companion and as mentioned above use to talk to him all the time. You could show him a trick and as you were showing him how to do it you would tell him what you called the trick. When you told him to do the trick he would do it from the second time on. The really cool trick he did was I lived way out in the country and we would be watching tv and he would be sitting beside me and if he jumped off the couch and sat in the middle of the floor you knew somebody he knew was coming down the road. If he barked and ran to the door you knew somebody was coming that he did not know. And he was right about 90% of the time. And he loved when the witnesses would come knock on the front door, because nobody knocked on the front door that knew me.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I had a very smart English pointer gal once who did just about anything I wanted her to. Taught her to get only in the passenger door of the car. I was in 9 th grade. Aunt didn't believe me. I open drivers door and said get in. She circled car a few times. I said get in. She jumped up on the hood and sat down looking at me twisting her head like I was crazy. She couldnt get in a closed door.

I could go down the street to visit a pal. Tell her to go kennel up. I'd come home a few hours later and she would be in her open kennel waiting on me. If I spent the night at his place and told her to "stay there" with her on his front porch, she would be there waiting for me in the AM.

She was a great hunter to the point if she saw a flock of ducks or geese when we were on the hwy, she would point them while standing in the front seat.

I loved Sue. And then there was Boots. Both, unreal. Then there was Jules, another pointer jewel, but a GSP, and now my baby is Babe.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/09/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a puggle that understands pretty well to the point he thinks he can talk. His biological clock is pretty good too when it comes to knowing when it is time for meals and walks. When it is his bedtime if we haven't encouraged him to get in his crate he will put himself to bed. When he wants his back scratched he'll find a couple of his toys and lay down on them and proceed to scratch his own back. Pretty smart dog, one of the most intelligent I've had.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Taught 1 of my labs Spanish. responded very well to both. It was fun to screw with people. Great dog, won a few field trial trophies and the best duck dog I ever saw. My shooting pard has a Border Collie fantastic animal.

Last edited by boatammo; 03/09/20.

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had some smart ones, but the dumbest was a lab. He was also the most expensive purebred, high dollar blood lines, champion field trial parents and all. He'd retrieve singles, and even doubles at his own pace, and it was never fast. Turd eating extraordinaire no matter how expensive the dog food, how many vitamins, or what I sprinkled on it. Our bird dog became a better retrieve just by being out in the field with him.

We've got two purbred German shepherds now, one is our sons who's deployed, and a shepherd / McNabb mix. The mutt is every bit as good a dog to have around as the others, and she kills rodents frequently.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My wieners aren't real smart, but they understand quite a bit. If I say "who wants to go to bed", or "who wants to go for a ride", they come running. "Who schidt in the floor", and the guilty one will run hide.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had a Mountain Feist years ago that understood many words. Have a Shepherd now that does too.She amazes me.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I vaguely remember hearing on TV a few years that there was Border collie that understood 90 words. I may be wrong on the number but it was a high number.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I knew a guy who had a small population of buffalo he used to ranch. He had a border collie that he used to cut singles out so that he could kill them for market. He had a big picture of the dog doing its job in his workshop, and I asked him what happened to the dog. The dog had died about a year prior. I asked him he was going to get another one. He said, “no. He can’t be replaced. He could read my mind.”

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by viking
I vaguely remember hearing on TV a few years that there was Border collie that understood 90 words. I may be wrong on the number but it was a high number.

Raising a 4 month old Aussiedoodle right now that knows close to that many words already. We had a Weim for 15 years that could understand literally 100s of words and phrases. The new pup is proving to be way smarter though.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
My wieners aren't real smart, but they understand quite a bit. If I say "who wants to go to bed", or "who wants to go for a ride", they come running. "Who schidt in the floor", and the guilty one will run hide.

I would say, "Dont chitt on the floor". wink

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We used to have a lab/setter mix that had a great vocabulary. She would lay on the floor while the wife and I would sit talking at the kitchen table. One day I noticed that every time one of us said a word that she knew, her ears would perk up. She would lay there looking half asleep but was actually listening to us the whole time.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.