Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
OP Offline
C
Hi guys.
I have an 03 made by Remington, Barreled action that was sporterized by grandfather in the original 30-06 chambering. Serial number is in the 3millions. The barrel is marked with a date of 03/1942 at the very front right where the front site was cut off. It was then passed down to my uncle, and then to me. The barrel is shot out on it. In it's time it was holding sub 1" groups scoped. Now it barely hits a paper plate. I'd like to rebarrel this gun in 284 Win. I've read so many posts on here about doing the 284 in all types of action except the 03. I'm going to ER Shaw do the work. I handload and I like things that aren't the norm. I've read the best way to go to be able to shoot the long for caliber 7mm bullets is to gi with the long action. This is going to be a dual purpose gun 25-26 inch barrel with a heavy sporter barrel. It'll be a deer/black bear and possible elk gun, but id also like to be able to shoot local matches with it. But just to have fun. My main goal is to use it as a long range deer gun. I've heard and read stories of the rebated 284 not feeding correctly is some actions. Has anyone done a rebated rim case build on an 03 that would have any experience with this?

I know I'm going to hear all kinds of stuff about the 280, and 280AI, but I'm pretty dead set on the 284.

One last question is should I ask for any freebore. I understand it going on a long action and can set the 160gr+ bullets out far enough in the magazine, but will I need more freebore to accommodate that.?

If the 284 is ruled out because of my action, 338-06 is a possible backup. But my hope for my first custom is to be a 284. The action has been professionally worked and is super smooth. It also has a very nice Timiney installed. It's also drilled and tapped and still has what look to be Warne bases. I appreciate all the feedback, but as i first mentioned my main concern is feeding issue.

Thanks in advance.
Craig

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah your right you are trying to turn silk purse into a sows ear. Stick with the 06 in this action ,you don't see many 06 loads over 49k cup but 284 loads are worked to 54k cup. You want a 284 go find a newer commercial action donor. Hot loaded 284 is not the way to take care of your legacy gun. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
OP Offline
C
Ughhh not what I wanted to hear. So would the 280AI be the smarter route since they're based off the same case? I have two other 06's that I don't use very often, so I dont need another.

I really want to be able to pass this gun down in the family again. But I want it done right this time. The 6.5-06 is another option. Still want that 284 Win pretty bad.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yeah your right you are trying to turn silk purse into a sows ear. Stick with the 06 in this action ,you don't see many 06 loads over 49k cup but 284 loads are worked to 54k cup. You want a 284 go find a newer commercial action donor. Hot loaded 284 is not the way to take care of your legacy gun. MB

From what I read in Hatcher's Notes the Remington 03 actions were tested to 125k. So that leads me to believe I shouldn't have issues with pressure. My main concern is feeding issues. This will not be a single shot rifle. I've read of many different types of Mausers being chambered for the 284, but I've never run across an 03 being chambered for a 284. I'm not afraid to have some work done on the feed rails, but I'm curious to know if any members have done a 284 Win on an 03 and what their results were.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A solution that might get you more bang for your buck ic to have the ‘03 rebored to 338/06, and then build the 284 on a more suitable action.
The result would be two rifles that function well, for likely the same cost as one 284 that frustrates you.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Royce
A solution that might get you more bang for your buck ic to have the ‘03 rebored to 338/06, and then build the 284 on a more suitable action.
The result would be two rifles that function well, for likely the same cost as one 284 that frustrates you.

+10 THIS if you go 338-06 or 35 whelen you can do it with a rebore on the original barrel, if you do the 284 you need a new barrel and chambering but if you do this 284 on a new 700LA you will still be
able to sell it when you fall out of love with it. Not saying the 284 in a o3A3 won't feed from the mag, I don't know if it will or won't MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i took the exact action a Remington 03 and built a 6mm-284 it shoots great and is very accurate ,i see no reason a 284 Win won`t work . good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
You'd do far better to just make a 270 or 280. Both will do all the 284 Win will do and actually do a bit more and would need no action or magazine work at all in your Springfield

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have an 03-A3 I rebarreled to 6.5-06 and am very happy with it.

As has been said I’d strongly consider “keeping it in the (06) family” not for the pressure reasons as yours is a modern rifle but for smooth operating.

Mine has the milled trigger guard tapered, a Timney Spoertsman trigger, Wisner “Model 70-style” shroud safety, and custom-built S&K SKulptered bases/rings.

I love custom Springfields.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you reloaded a .284?

I had my first go round with it last month. It sucks compared to 3006 brass. IMO.

I would go for the 338 personally. I like extra air in the barrel, not metal.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

C
OP Offline
C
I don't disagree with what any of you guys are saying. But the upside to doing the 284 in a long action, is the added benefit of being able to seat heavy long for caliber bullets in the mag, with a lil freebore if necessary. I have nothing against the 270, I own one. And I love the 7mm caliber of the 284 Win and 280 Rem. It's just that I like to be a little different. I know nobody personally that has a 284 Win, and I like to be that guy that is different. Everyone at deer camp has a 30-06, 270 "I own both". They also have the 7mm-08 and 280 Rem. I'm the guy that wants to be different. I had a 6.5 Creed when they first came out because it was different, now everyone has one, or more lol. The 284 is a more efficient cartridge than most,and to be honest, I'm really set on it. So I'm really glad guys aren't having feeding issues in an 03 action.

My next question is where to find a decent or I should say really nice Walnut sporter stock? I've bought a few Boyd's Laminate stocks for two different guns and have no complaints at all. I made a Savage 340 Bolt Action 30-30 come back to life and love that little gun. But I've never been impressed with their solid walnut stocks. I ordered a stock from Richards Microfit for a 270 Win build I was doing. I called several times and got answers like it was on the line right now and should be a couple of weeks yet and never received the stock. Called a few weeks later and they magically said they never received my order. They never even billed me. So I don't know what happened there. As mentioned before this gun is to be an heirloom that I keep passing down so I want it to be a functional good looking gun. But, my pockets aren't super deep.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Of the two rounds mentioned, .284 and 338-06, I'd go with the latter. It will feed better.

I have a 6.5-284 on a Pre-64. It feeds great, but that took some work. The smith milled the follower rib back a bit to accommodate the fatter round.

'06 based rounds will for sure feed better as is, but the .284 can be made to work. The operative words are "made to work".

CFR action may be harder to adapt to a shorter, fatter found than push feed. I've heard that.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/10/20.
C
OP Offline
C
And no, I havent loaded for the 284 yet, as ive never owned one. As I said I have no qualms with the 06, 270, or 280. They all serve their purpose and work great. I just consider them boring . I like to be different and have things most other do not have. It's nice going to the range, my camp, or a friends camp with a rifle and round that I'm guessing most, maybe none have ever seen, let alone shot before. It's especially nice if that said rifle performs especially well.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
A .280 AI is pretty different and will deliver better speed than the .284 w/o the “made to” that DF mentions?

As far as stocks you can get upgraded walnut from Boyd’s that is well worth the expense IMHO. The Prairie Hunter I got my son for his Turk Mauser in .257 Rob was standard grade wood and looks nice; their laser checkering is REALLY nice IMHO.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

On both of these issues (.284 vs 06 family, Boyd’s vs Richards Microfit) I keep in mind that shop time is quickest way to add to cost of a build. The “made to work” that DF mentions amounts to hours of machining on feed rails &/or follower by a skilled gunsmith which is quite expensive. Same goes for the difference between Richards and Boyd’s both on the inletting side as well as checkering. That is, I’ve seen a lot of work necessary on Richard’s stocks plus checkering vs neater inletting from Boyd’s & laser checkering.

Just more food for thought based upon my experience.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by efw
A .280 AI is pretty different and will deliver better speed than the .284 w/o the “made to” that DF mentions?

As far as stocks you can get upgraded walnut from Boyd’s that is well worth the expense IMHO. The Prairie Hunter I got my son for his Turk Mauser in .257 Rob was standard grade wood and looks nice; their laser checkering is REALLY nice IMHO.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

On both of these issues (.284 vs 06 family, Boyd’s vs Richards Microfit) I keep in mind that shop time is quickest way to add to cost of a build. The “made to work” that DF mentions amounts to hours of machining on feed rails &/or follower by a skilled gunsmith which is quite expensive. Same goes for the difference between Richards and Boyd’s both on the inletting side as well as checkering. That is, I’ve seen a lot of work necessary on Richard’s stocks plus checkering vs neater inletting from Boyd’s & laser checkering.

Just more food for thought based upon my experience.

That is a nice looking stock! And you say that's just their standard grade, not one of the two upgrades you can make to walnut with Boyd's?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks yep that’s a standard grade walnut Prairie Hunter with their laser cut fleur-de-lis checkering panels.

C
OP Offline
C
Looks very good. As I said I never did a walnut stock from them and their build your stock section doesn't exactly do the wood justice. I definitely like that stock. I suppose Boyd's it is.
Thank you

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Everyone of my Springfields will feed a empty case into the chamber without a bobble or a problem, smooth and slick I like that and that is one feature I wouldn't want to loose. What say pete53? on the 284? MB

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my 6mmx284 works just fine feeding and ejecting ,this cartridge is very fast and accurate too !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ok that's really the info Craig wanted. I can tell you for a fact that unaltered rails and followers will feed the 308 Norma Mag and the 300 Win Mag to without problems because I have them both and NO I didn't do it to them. MB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,031
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.