Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mrs Blacktailer and I were wondering why we don't see any buzzards near our home. When we lived in a rural area of the California Central Coast it was common to see 5 or so buzzards at a time and not unusual to see 10-20 or more circling in the updrafts near our home. Here in the desert we have pretty much the same predator and prey species as before with the exception of javelina but never see any buzzards and don't find carrion when out in the desert. Of course anyone who has hunted in Africa knows that by the time you load game in the bakke there will be 200 vultures watching the proceedings. Do javelina clean up the carrion so there is nothing left for buzzards to eat?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Buzzards are seasonally common in my part of AZ....

Coyotes and birds of prey clean up all carrion....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Tons of them in Texas, black buzzards seem to be running the turkey buzzards out!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lead bullets....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both Black and Turkey Vultures are migratory throughout most of their range. They are primarily scavengers, although they can (and ocasionally do) capture and kill live prey where the prey species is/are abundant.

I live about 15 or so miles east of the Arizona line, at 4,400 ft elevation in the Animas Valley of southwestern New Mexico. Here, in the overlap of the Chihuahuan and Sonoran deserts, we see lots of Turkey Vultures passing through, both spring and fall. However, both Bald and Golden Eagles winter here, too--and they subsist primarily on road kill and other carrion. They are much more aggressive than the Turkey Vultures which seem to just move on south once the eagles arrive. The Black Vultures are strictly occasional summertime visitors. Additionally, both vultures have circulatory systems that are not especially efficient at regulating body temperatures. They don't do well around here where winter nights are often close to (or below) freezing. It takes them a while to warm up in on sunny mornings after a cold night. Periods of frequent cloud cover during cold days seems to spur them to move on south.

I suspect that you are just not in a major migration corridor, but local availability of prey and carrion probably also play a part.

Last edited by mudhen; 03/11/20.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This might explain it. Or not.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
However, both Bald and Golden Eagles winter here, too--and they subsist primarily on road kill and other carrion.

Nothing but a buzzard with a feathered head.

Killed a coyote right at daylight one morning 4 or 5 years ago. By noon a pair bald eagles were picking at him. Stinkin bastards.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/10/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Buzzards are not commonly seen in Arizona...turkey vultures...we see all the time.

Saw a black vulture, once.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have lived in Arizona a long time and see them often. drive the road east of Bagdad. but they are every where.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is probably the cold that drives them away. Hadn't thought about it before but it is quite a bit colder here in the winter than it was in Ca and I remember the buzzards sitting on power poles and fence posts with their wings outstretched in the mornings warming up.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

we have 'em here........

should be back real soon........summer birds

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots of them in western OK; they are in the east too, but all those trees make it harder to see them.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is one of the best bird resources. It supports what others have posted. Click on the Black Vulture lnk to see it's range map. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Turkey_Vulture/overview

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice link Telano. We have hundreds of those black ones here in FL., but I see by your link that they don't get much farther north than the center of the country. We have a few turkey vultures in WI., but there is no way that they are keeping up with the road kill up there. WI. kills 20,000 deer a year with vehicle crashes and there is near nothing up there to eat them all. If these blacks buzzards would spend half the energy migrating instead of just flying in circles around here, there would be a feast for them up north. It's not unusual to see a dozen of these black ones all over a road killed raccoon and a pig was gone down to the skin and bones in a week.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
This is one of the best bird resources. It supports what others have posted. Click on the Black Vulture lnk to see it's range map. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Turkey_Vulture/overview

That explains it. On the Ca coast they were there year round but only part time in AZ. Thanks!

Jack O'Connor
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
However, both Bald and Golden Eagles winter here, too--and they subsist primarily on road kill and other carrion.

Killed a coyote right at daylight one morning 4 or 5 years ago. By noon a pair bald eagles were picking at him. Stinkin bastards.

I agree with you on bald eagles, but golden are a whole 'nother thing. Studies have shown goldens are the number one predator on Dall's sheep lambs.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Better add... in slightly more interior Alaska. We do not have them here on the coast except when migrating. Coyote are number one in the Chugach Range.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I agree with you on bald eagles, but golden are a whole 'nother thing. Studies have shown goldens are the number one predator on Dall's sheep lambs.

I am wondering how many whitetail fawns and full grown turkey hens these Bald Eagles are killing.

Personally not a fan of birds of prey.

Not sure why we control four legged predators but we just let the predators in the sky have a free pass.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here in Tx. the fire ants take more turkey polts and fawns than birds of prey, plus the hog kill is really high in some areas. The hogs are especially hard on the nesting hens eating the eggs and the hens too.

The scavengers do a great job as garbage collectors and limiting the possible spread of diseases.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rotten basta
Originally Posted by Tejano
Here in Tx. the fire ants take more turkey polts and fawns than birds of prey, plus the hog kill is really high in some areas. The hogs are especially hard on the nesting hens eating the eggs and the hens too.

The scavengers do a great job as garbage collectors and limiting the possible spread of diseases.

Rotten bastards. Glad we don't have very many of em in our neck of the woods.

Dad did get one on trail cam last fall.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
It is probably the cold that drives them away. Hadn't thought about it before but it is quite a bit colder here in the winter than it was in Ca and I remember the buzzards sitting on power poles and fence posts with their wings outstretched in the mornings warming up.
Could be. We have lots of them in Idaho in warm weather but they all migrate out for the winter.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I am wondering how many whitetail fawns and full grown turkey hens these Bald Eagles are killing.

Personally not a fan of birds of prey.

Not sure why we control four legged predators but we just let the predators in the sky have a free pass.

Four legs regulated by the states, birds of prey are protected under the fed’s “migratory bird treaty act”

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'll sometimes sit still after shooting a coyote and see what happens, at about 20 minutes the Ravens are near and at 30 minutes they are on the carcass. Road kill isn't visible for long, ravens, followed by buzzards/vultures and all get chased off by the Golden Eagles. We enjoy looking for Desert Sheep and spotting Golden Eagles is a giveaway for good areas to start glassing during lambing. Scavengers and Raptors are not as threatened as are their food sources. When I was a kid any large bird sitting on a phone pole was considered as needing killing.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago I was kicking around the desert looking for a rabbit when I happened upon a dead sheep. I kicked 4 goldens off of it. Dang they're big close up! I half expected to see Gandalf on one of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They are all in Washington DC

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Turkey buzzards are around my house all year. The blacks show up when it gets hot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
43.5 Lat 119 Long: Saw our first one this AM working a 24 mph cottontail that attempted a crossing in a 25 mph zone. Think it might have been a bit hungry, as it tolerated a very close approach before taking flight. If they will leave town and get out to the nearby ground squirrel fields, they should be able to chub up big time.

On other spring arrivals, we had a pair of Western Bluebirds giving our front driveway box a thorough look this morning.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/26/20.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are PLENTY here in the Desert. For about a month straight there were a few dozen hanging out at Superstition Springs Mall in southeast Mesa. They were roosting all up and down the center median and on the roofs of businesses along Southern Avenue. I haven't been past there recently so I don't know if they are still there. I see them frequently while hunting in the desert areas.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
We have both here in Southern Indiana however the black vultures are hated by the farmers/ranchers. They have become a quite a nuisance during cattle calving season, if they can they will pick at a calf's eyes, eventually killing them.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Have you noticed, nothing will touch one of their carcasses, not even other vultures/buzzards!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is a "buzzard" a black vulture?

We had turkey vultures here on the highways even back as a little kid. However balck vultures ere rare/absent. They've made big inroads (pun) the passed 20 years though, to the point that they may be as common as the TV's.

Our osprey and bald eagle pops are WAY up too, doing better than anyone expected. Never see bald eagle on carrion.

Do Osprey eat carrion? They always seem to have a fish in talons when I see them.

wish they all ate the effin cormorants. A plague on my local ponds.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here is the ones around Paso Robles. We always just called them buzzards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jack O'Connor
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
When I'm down in the low desert here in Kalifornia, I can't remember seeing any during the fall hunting season. I do see a few hawks and surprising number of owls. At the north end of Death Valley NP, I would regularly see a few along with some Golden Eagles. That's a "mid level" desert between the high sagebrush desert and the low Ironwood Desert. Why that is, I don't know. The big difference I suspect is in the Ironwood, low desert, it's pretty tough for them to see much from the air. Most of the wildlife is found in and around the clusters of low trees in the washes. The Mojave Desert, north of DVNP, the it's a lot more open. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Crockettnj

Our osprey and bald eagle pops are WAY up too, doing better than anyone expected. Never see bald eagle on carrion.

Do Osprey eat carrion? They always seem to have a fish in talons when I see them.

.[/quote]
During the annual raptor migrations, I routinely flush both bald and golden eagles off of road kill, and both readily eat the gut piles from feral hogs that people shoot this time of the year.

While I have never seen an osprey eat carrion, they do migrate through here. I have a photo of one perched on a power pole just west of our house, taken on the 6th of April, in 2018. There is no open water with significant populations of fish anywhere around here.

I presume that they opportunistically eat small mammals, and perhaps road kill--certainly all of the other raptors that pass through here on their annual migrations do.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Buzzards are seasonally common in my part of AZ....

Coyotes and birds of prey clean up all carrion....

Same around here. Coyotes and ravens are the "cleaners", along with some magpies. We do have buzzards in the fall.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Millerish
We have both here in Southern Indiana however the black vultures are hated by the farmers/ranchers. They have become a quite a nuisance during cattle calving season, if they can they will pick at a calf's eyes, eventually killing them.

Same problem over here.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is plenty in Burnet county now. They were on pigs as soon as we killed them. Turkey and blacks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A few years ago I was kicking around the desert looking for a rabbit when I happened upon a dead sheep. I kicked 4 goldens off of it. Dang they're big close up! I half expected to see Gandalf on one of them.

They are big! Have a meeting pair of golden here. Bald Eagles are mostly to darn lazy to kill something other than the odd duck.
Have had them gather and eat the after birth during calving . Lost one calf to a eagle getting aggressive with an umbilical on a new born.
Not fond of bald eagles.
As far as buzzards/vultures in AZ we see them all the time at the house in Scottsdale and the house East of Payson.
In Scottsdale the house in on a creek with cotton woods and willow. The Buzzards sit in the trees in the morning sun to heat their wing bones then go hunting.
Come back about dark.
Here in Idaho they came early this year. Think they regret it! Snowed today!😡

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/12/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In response to Blacktailer's nice shot.

If no pics, then it didn't happen. Cookie bumped into an early morning pair yesterday sort of waiting for the humidity to cook off. They were certainly not in line when looks were passed out. Only Turkey Vultures in this part of the country.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 04/20/20.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.