Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am looking for the best way to conceal carry, I am looking for a comfortable and secure in the waistband for a M&P Shield also I’m looking for a dedicated backpack with interior holster, last but not least also looking for something along the lines of a sneaky Pete fake phone case although they seem to be awfully large, I appreciate your input

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone has their favorite way 'which is the best'. You have to be comfortable with what you decide.

I've carried for years and I think I've tried everything, including the Sneaky Pete for my Shield. I tried a pocket carry with a Keltec 9mm in a slippery pocket holster and that too was too big. I've settled on my most comfortable and best method that works for me. I carry a S&W 642 Airweight in a Safariland pocket holster which I can carry in any trousers summer or winter. Works for me!

Think it through and try them all. You'll find what's best for you and your lifestyle.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Finding the "right" holster and carry set up is a lot like choosing a wife - no one can tell you what to use and odds are you will go through more than one before you find the one for you. You might find one you passed over is the best or you may find your first choice is no longer correct and you move on to a different holster. Luckily, that is cheaper than a divorce.

Most of us have a decent sized drawer or box full of holsters from going through this process. There are usually a couple that get used regularly, a few more that get situational use, and a few more that sit around because no one else will take them or we are too embarrassed to let the holsters see light of day and letting others know we bought them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
For daily concealed carry, you could not go wrong with the C-Force by El Paso Saddlery. https://epsaddlery.com/product/c-force-covert-force-holster/

If their automated order system doesn't show your model of gun, then just call them. They will make it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Just have a tote for all the extra holders you will accumulate. Good luck in your pursuit.

Find a holster and dress around it. Check out Vedder.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My first IWB was an Alien Gear for a G19. I still like it but am looking for a replacement. It rides pretty well over the back pocket but I want to bring it around more to the front, more appendix carry, and it doesn't work well for that.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My brother in law carries his Shield in a Bianchi Model 100 Professional IWB holster and likes it. I carry my Nano in one and am pretty pleased with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plastic DeSantis Slim-tuck worn on the inside of belt, but outside of pants. Nineteen dollars on Amazon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use Concealment Express IWB holsters for my Shield 45 and Shield 9 EZ. Very comfortable and secure, give them a look.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek
Plastic DeSantis Slim-tuck worn on the inside of belt, but outside of pants. Nineteen dollars on Amazon.

Concealment Express here, but I carry that way more all the time. IWB is still the standard, but for grab and go it's hard to top.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
DeSantis Speed Scabbard. Yeah, it's OWB, but most of the time that conceals the Shield plenty good.
The rest of the time, it's IWB in a kydex holster of my own making.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
As mentioned by Bob338, you'll get a different answer for almost every reply here.

Personally, I used strong side carry for about the same time period that I felt like a 1911 was my best carry choice, but once I started taking some serious fight-focused training classes and hanging out with a different crowd, I switched to appendix carry (in the waistband, to the strong side of my belt buckle) and a higher capacity 9mm. I switched because of the advantages I saw demonstrated, and experienced myself - easier to guard from a bump/frisk, easier to defend, easier to conceal, faster to draw, and a lot safer if/when you get knocked on your kiester. (And yeah, pretty much anybody can get taken to the ground; it's worth considering.) It's also a lot easier to draw from a ground position, which is significant even though it's better not to get there.

As for comfort - it was not comfortable at first, but I committed to carrying that way because I saw the benefits, and have a family to look out for (which includes coming home at the end of the day). Within a year or two though, it was comfortable, and now it's just second nature and I don't even think about it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A good choice for the Shield is a Milt Sparks Nexus for IWB strong side carry. It also works well AIWB.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ankle carry - You can thank me later.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got a Shield 45 and have been pretty pleased with the Alien Gear Shape shift kit. I've concentrated on using the IWB setup on the strong side but I have the other options to try. Wasn't sure what I would like so for a little extra money I have more options. Use the same setup with an additional shell for my 5" 1911 and it is very comfortable. I do use suspenders to support the belt. The Perry suspenders that attach on either side are really nice and easy to get in and out of, even under a shirt or jacket. I have an ankle holster but the Shield is a little too much for it to handle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Ankle carry - You can thank me later.

Assuming we are talking only about a primary firearm and not a backup gun, I respectfully disagree.

If you will likely be seated when you need to draw your gun, ankle carry is a good option (provided you don't have issues with concealment). However...

The rest of the time, it's not a good choice. Sure it's better than leaving your gun at home, but your draw speed is a lot slower. If you are overweight, have limited flexibility or trouble kneeling, your draw speed goes down even further. If you need to move while drawing your gun, forget it.

I don't know how often the OP wears shorts, but that makes ankle carry a no-go. Same if your typical footwear is a work boot or something similar. If you are fairly active, ankle carry can be a challenge--both for comfort and functionality. But that issue is case-by-case, based on the exact nature of the activity.

Overall, I'd say that finding your preferred method of carry and ideal holster is something of a journey of trial and error. (I'd guess that each of us a couple holsters lying around that we don't use anymore.) You just have to make the best choice you can, learn from it, and try again as necessary. I just don't recommend starting with ankle carry unless you know, specifically, in advance, why you're doing it.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unless you're 100% sure you can retain balance and mobility while drawing from an ankle carrier while also not removing your eyes from the threat or exposing the top of your skull to aggression- ankle carry isn't for me.

I've done Appendix and din't care for it too much but see the advantages. Maybe if I was thinner.

I go Alienware IWB.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by teal
Unless you're 100% sure you can retain balance and mobility while drawing from an ankle carrier while also not removing your eyes from the threat or exposing the top of your skull to aggression- ankle carry isn't for me.

I've done Appendix and din't care for it too much but see the advantages. Maybe if I was thinner.

I go Alienware IWB.

He forgot to tell you ankle carry is great if you can fall to the floor pretending to have a heart attack or episode of epileptic seizure. Eeeaaaah, call 911......Actually, in most cases you will not have to draw your gun because the other person will execute quick retreat. This is very effective strategy when the other person has a drop on you.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Yondering
As mentioned by Bob338, you'll get a different answer for almost every reply here.

Personally, I used strong side carry for about the same time period that I felt like a 1911 was my best carry choice, but once I started taking some serious fight-focused training classes and hanging out with a different crowd, I switched to appendix carry (in the waistband, to the strong side of my belt buckle) and a higher capacity 9mm. I switched because of the advantages I saw demonstrated, and experienced myself - easier to guard from a bump/frisk, easier to defend, easier to conceal, faster to draw, and a lot safer if/when you get knocked on your kiester. (And yeah, pretty much anybody can get taken to the ground; it's worth considering.) It's also a lot easier to draw from a ground position, which is significant even though it's better not to get there.

As for comfort - it was not comfortable at first, but I committed to carrying that way because I saw the benefits, and have a family to look out for (which includes coming home at the end of the day). Within a year or two though, it was comfortable, and now it's just second nature and I don't even think about it.

This^^^^ You are carrying your gun to save your life. Optimizing every aspect of your system and practicing until you have perfected it is the only answer. Most people I know that don't like AIWB are either fat or lazy, or both. Yondering reached his conclusion the same way many other serious users do. Do the work and don't expect an EZ button. Unless you are a jelly belly you will be surprised how easy it is and when you do drills on the clock you will see the difference. Try it, you will like it.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
That is a good point about appendix carry - if a guy is quite a bit overweight it does make appendix carry more difficult and uncomfortable, and requires a lot of commitment to make it work. Of course that body shape has a lot of other downsides as well when it comes to fighting for your life or someone else's.

With that said, I do know of at least a couple guys with larger guts who appendix carry and are very good at it. Some guys are just built that way and have to work around it or with it. Two of those guys in particular that I know are very formidable on the sparring mat, and will give most fit guys a real workout even without going for their pistol, but you'd never know the pistol is there until they have it pointed at you. Of course guys like that, who might look soft and round are solid as oak beneath the surface.

Last edited by Yondering; 03/12/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 37 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.