Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
looking for a new pocket pistol ,how does the polymer Ruger LCR stack up with SW J-frame 442 ? how welll does the Ruger polymer hold up?and problems .Have a SW mod 60 so 442 would be familiar , but looking for something lighter and no exposed hammer ,

NRA Life Member
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I carried an S&W 642 for a few years before the LCR came out. At first I wasn't so sure it would hold up but the trigger was so good it convinced me to give it a shot. I think it's the right choice. They both fit the same holster.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Stick with the 642/442. If you want really light go with a 340PD.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rem shooter
looking for a new pocket pistol ,how does the polymer Ruger LCR stack up with SW J-frame 442 ? how welll does the Ruger polymer hold up?and problems .Have a SW mod 60 so 442 would be familiar , but looking for something lighter and no exposed hammer ,

The 442 would be the way to go. Extremely lightweight, and generally more problem free. I've heard of Rugers locking up due to short stroking them in double action, and that short stroking them is fairly easy. Much harder to do that with an S&W.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stmcelroy
If you want really light go with a 340PD.

Huge step up in price with not a lot gained in value.

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by stmcelroy
If you want really light go with a 340PD.

Huge step up in price with not a lot gained in value.

I split the difference and got the M&P340. No expensive titanium cylinder but a front night sight.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by rem shooter

The 442 would be the way to go. Extremely lightweight, and generally more problem free. I've heard of Rugers locking up due to short stroking them in double action, and that short stroking them is fairly easy. Much harder to do that with an S&W.

Thank you for passing along 3rd-hand bullshlt you read on a bathroom stall. If you know nothing, just keep silent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell, skip both of them and go with the Taurus 856CH - concealed hammer, six shots, and light weight at 15 oz.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Hell, skip both of them and go with the Taurus 856CH - concealed hammer, six shots, and light weight at 15 oz.

I’d pass on a Taurus Revolver for self defense. I like guns that actually work.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep! If you're going to carry a Taurus, at least get the steel frame model so that you can beat the person with it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

You have personal experience with a failed Taurus revolver? The Taurus 85 has a pretty stellar reputation.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We used to sale a fair amount of taurus, revolvers and semis. The only ones I remember ever coming back to us were the pt140 pistols, they just couldn't get the 40cal to work right in that gun. But I still wouldn't suggest owning one when you can mow a couple more lawns and get a smith or ruger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by killerv
We used to sale a fair amount of taurus, revolvers and semis. The only ones I remember ever coming back to us were the pt140 pistols, they just couldn't get the 40cal to work right in that gun. But I still wouldn't suggest owning one when you can mow a couple more lawns and get a smith or ruger.

I've purchased four Smith and Wesson revolvers in the past 7 years, two of which had to go back to the factory to correct functioning issues. So, mowing extra lawns didn't really pay off for me.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The only Smiths I am familiar with are N frames, so I can not make the comparison you are asking for. But my LCRx in 327 is flawless. The trigger is superb. And recoil is quite tolerable with 120s loaded to max with W296.

I will buy another LCRx when ever Ruger actually releases the 327 in a 3 inch.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
We had a Taurus 85 come into our shop from a distributor a few years ago. They have a two piece barrel/shroud. I opened the box and 2 inches of the barrel were sticking out of the shroud. How's that for QC?
We've also had quite a few Judges that wouldn't shoot double action.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have two LCRs in 9mm and .327 Federal. Both are excellent shooters. Also have a 642, 649 and a 640 PRO...no complaints with any of them either.

For the distances involved in most personal protection shootings not sure it is going to make any difference which you have. Get the one that hits where you point as at 5 yards and under that is what is going to count.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
S&W 442/642's are functional works of art. Beautiful, accurate, capable. You might even say sexy.

Ruger LCR's? Not sure much. They look like a Glock humped a Schofield. Ugly personified. Friends don't let friends carry LCR's! grin

Buy the Smith and don't look back.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Sometimes the homely girl is dynamite in the kitchen and in the bedroom. (Or so I have been told)

And we are talking CONCEALED carry here. No one is supposed to see the damned thing.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Sometimes the homely girl is dynamite in the kitchen and in the bedroom. (Or so I have been told)

And we are talking CONCEALED carry here. No one is supposed to see the damned thing.

It's kinda like your mama's advice to always wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident. Do you really want them finding an LCR on you after you get hit by a bus??? grin

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jds44
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It's kinda like your mama's advice to always wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident. Do you really want them finding an LCR on you after you get hit by a bus??? grin

LOL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.