A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B6

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[quot,oward1] 8x57 mauser loaded to its full potenial. [/quote]

There you go, and so overlooked. If you want something to do a little of everything, a .30-06 or an 8x57. But personally, I don't need one gun to do everything because I've got a .223, .22-250, .243. .250 Savage, .257 AI, .270, 7x57, .280, .30-06, 8x57, 7RM, .300 WBY, and a 9.3x62, what else do I need? But of all those the 7x57 and .270 fill 90 % of my needs so I guess those two would be my all around rifles and around here those two are practically interchangeable.

Last edited by Filaman; 03/12/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buttstock
I remember reading an article by Townsend Whelen entitled, "Rifles for the Wilderness Lover." ( Gun Digest Treasury).

He came to the conclusion, that if big bears were not a factor, his chambering choice for his ideal wilderness rifle was NOT the 30-06, NOT the 257 Roberts, and NOT the 35 Whelen, but the...

...270 Winchester.

That's what I'd use if I was like most hunters and didn't hunt anything larger than deer. With that said I do carry the 270 while Bear hunting occasionally and although I haven't I would gladly carry one for Elk and Moose too.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by VaHunter
i got to Jachson Hole Airport many years ago without one of my bags and it had my 338-06 handloads in it.

VH, did you keep your .338/06 or did one such experience cause you to dump it for a widespread popular chambering?

asking more for Jwalls sake than myself... grin

I still have the 338-06 and if I fly with it again I will try to ship some ammo to my outfitter, a hotel, a local gun shop, or to myself at a post office in the area I plan to hunt. Or I may take my 7mm Rem Mag, one of my three 30-06's or a 35 Whelen, although I could get into the same problem with the Whelen.

My 338-06 is a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight and scoped only weighs a little over 7# so it is great in the elk mountains.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cruised the reply’s quickly and may have missed it but I’m going to say the 325 WSM is better..

I am a HUGE fan of the good ol’ ought six and have killed tons of critters with one. But the more I’m around my Model 70 classic stainless/wood featherweight 325 WSM, the more all my other rifles don’t matter.

200 grain Accubond at 2900+ FPS out of a fairly light, short action rifle... pretty hard to beat.

Todd

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by szihn
One that is fully as good in EVER way is the 7.62X63

Now what about the 06 or 300 Whelen ? whistle grin grin

Jerry

The 7.62x63 is way overrated,I like the .300 Whelen. whistle laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Love my .22, .24, .25, .26, .28, other .30, .338, .375, .44 and .45 caliber rifles, but can't think of one cartridge that works better as an all-around option.

I came back and read the OP to see how he defined the "best all-around cartridge." I'd been thinking about it myself in terms of "if I could only own one rifle" and I'm curious how others define "best all-around" because it's kind of hard to pin down. You have to factor in not only the game (or varmints) you're after, but the distance you might shoot, and how/where you hunt.

Then I considered the rifles in my safe including an '06, a .308. a .30-30 and a .300 Weatherby. I've been mulling over slimming down the number of rifles in the safe for a couple years now, just haven't done it. I realized that even though I have an attachment to my '06 because it was one of the first rifles I owned and I re-finished the stock by hand, I haven't hunted with it in around 15 years.

Just considering the .30 caliber rifles, if I was going to hunt deer in thick cover the .30-30 would get the nod because it's a fast-handling lever action and fun to shoot. Shooting steel at the range out to farther than I'd consider shooting at game, the .308 would get the nod because it's a tack-driver and pleasant to shoot. The .308 would also get the nod for hunting in open country, for the same reasons. And if I needed more horsepower, the .300 Weatherby would get the nod. Why go halfway if you need more speed than the .308 or a heavy bullet?

Then I read the OP and confirmed that not many of us posting on this thread own one rifle so as a practical matter the concept of "best all-around cartridge" is fertile ground for discussions like this, but I always find myself reaching for another chambering for whatever reason. So I come to the conclusion that "best all-around" is similar to jack-of-all-trades, master of none. For most of us.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
C H

1. First, the 308 comes close but TODAY the 06 can out do it especially with our newer powders.

2. I would NOT say any one would fill your bill. > "but can't think of one cartridge that works better as an all-around option."

3. IMO and for MY use & possible hunts in the future......

I'd take a 7 Rem Mag. There are plenty of GOOD bullet choices for the caliber LIKE the 30 Cal.

*** I like the 7s flatter trajectory *** THAT is the only reason. ! Dead is Dead, but flattER is better AFAIC.

Jerry

7 MM Mag 160 Accu Bond @ 3000 FPS sighted at 200 is -.6.4" @ 300 Yds and 36.9" @ 500
30 06 165 Accu Bond @ 2850FPS sighted at 200 is -7.2" @ 300 Yds and 43.9" @ 500

For all practical proposes the is no difference trajectory, unless you see and hold alot steadier than I do. I'm however not a twister nor a long range hunter, fancy myself as a hunter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Switch

I'm not a dialer and twister either. THAT is why I prefer fast & flat.

For several years now, I NEVER go hunting WITHOUT my Shooting Sticks. Really Helps.
edit: Since 2012.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 03/13/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
What is your universe? if it's North America, hard to go wrong with an 06. If you are talking world wide, then "God's Caliber", the 375 H&H would be it.

Thinking North America and specifically lower 48. But that's not the whole universe.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Interesting question from the op. I am 65 and the amount of bullets from .22 to 50 , lead alloy, primers, powders and BRASS I have accumulated will outlast the time in front of me. I ain't even a hoarder just a normal guy who likes to shoot. ...

Similar situation here. I've enjoyed collecting firearms and the components to load for them since my girls got out of college. Getting ready to retire at the end of May and have been looking at my inventory. i reload for 19 different cartridges and could easily shoot the rest of my life without buying more powder, brass or bullets.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
... So I come to the conclusion that "best all-around" is similar to jack-of-all-trades, master of none. For most of us.

It wasn't intended to be a trick question but any time a subjective judgement like 'best' is involved it kind of works out that way. 'Best' depends on the criteria used and everyone's situation is unique.

I enjoy all that I have, so 'best' is moot for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There has always been a legitimate conversation around which is more powerful, the 7mm Rem mag or the 30-06? But I never remember hearing it asked whether the .308 was more powerful than the 7 Rem Mag? Hmmm.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Getting to the point that my 20 Ga. shoots flat enough, hunt with my dogs more and more, Don't even have to carrier the shooting sticks!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What is your universe? if it's North America, hard to go wrong with an 06. If you are talking world wide, then "God's Caliber", the 375 H&H would be it.

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the answer to What cartridge makes a better choice than a 30-06 ? nothing is a better choice just use or buy a 30-06,if your a handloader/looney person we all like many different cartridges to play with and reload for. the greatest advantage to using a 30-06 is > you can find 30-06 ammo any place in the world.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by memtb

I can't agree. I'm pretty sure God knows the difference between a cartridge and a caliber....... grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

IF we’d stopped to buy ammo somewhere we’d BEEN late !!

LOL, so "ammo availability" was a non-factor, do I have that right?

That 60-mile trip back home to get his ammo would've been ....."catastrophic" in epic proportions.

The crisis may have even been magnified if you stopped at the 7-11 and they were out of coffee. The possibilities are endless.....

Smokey
I’m NOT mad at you. Ok ?

You are WRONG on so many counts.

1. NO, ammo availability WOULD have been a factor.

2. Yes 60 + 60 + 60 BACK would have lost the whole
morning hunt ! Hard to comprehend ?

3. There ‘were’ NO 7/11s at Covington or Bogalusa
La. Ever Heard of Bogalusa ? It’s a real town!
Wrong again.

Now, give it a rest.... I’m thru.

Jerry

Jerry, I'm not mad at you either and, nope, never been to Covington or Bogalusa. But if there are no 7-11's, it's a good bet there are no places to buy factory ammo. so your cartridge choice didn't matter with respect to factory ammo availability.

That is what we're talking about, right?.
Geesus you're a dumb f.uck. There are no 7-11's around here at all but plenty of small town general stores that do carry ammo. You won't find .280 or .338-06 or any other oddball ammo at those little general stores.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, good morning to you too blackie. NIce to see you here and contributing I always look forward to your posts.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by memtb

I can't agree. I'm pretty sure God knows the difference between a cartridge and a caliber....... grin

A very valid point! I should proof read more carefully! smile memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.