24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm blaming the yellow man for the red man having to close down their turkey season for the white man. If Hillary had won, this whole thing would have be solved. Now our only hope is for Biden to win the Senate.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 30338
I'm blaming the yellow man for the red man having to close down their turkey season for the white man. If Hillary had won, this whole thing would have be solved. Now our only hope is for Biden to win the Senate.

Ok that’s funny. Well done...

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
There's no place for that tone at the 'fire, especially amidst a global Pandemic. It simply contributes to hate when we need to come together as a global community.

The new U.S. reality: Huge growth of cases and not enough testing kits are available, so these numbers are lower than actual:

February: Trump said (number of U.S. cases), “the 15, within a couple of days, is going to be down to close to zero. That’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”
3/8: 564 cases
3/9: 728 cases
3/10: 1,000 cases
3/11: 1,267 cases
3/12: 1,645 cases
3/13: 2,204 cases
3/14: 2,816 cases (as of 9p)
3/15: 2952 cases (as of 9am); 57 deaths.
Next: tens of thousands of confirmed cases... hopefully not more, but hope is not a strategy and the Gov't and individuals have been slow to act...an example here on the 'fire is that most have been in denial for the past several weeks...valuable time to make a difference was lost.

Look at this map for Covid-19 spread: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Fox news reporting: “One, it’s brand new so we don’t have any prior experience about what it’s gonna do, what it’s dynamic’s gonna be,” he said. “Numzber 2, it spreads very easily, there’s no doubt about that. It isn’t like some of the other outbreaks that we had that just didn’t adapt itself to spread among humans. And Number 3, it’s very serious in the sense of morbidity and mortality, particularly among – and very heavily weighted -- towards individuals who are more susceptible – the elderly and those with underlying conditions.”

When asked if its contagiousness and lethality are worse than the flu, Fauci emphatically said, “Well yes, I mean it just is, and we’ve gotta face that fact.”

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just what tone is that? Humor? Get a grip. I was at a hospital Friday for a scheduled medical procedure and the doctors and nurses were literally making fun of the stupidity going on. They were joking and laughing out loud at how dumb people were behaving. There advice was just be sanitary but don’t start hoarding stuff and live in fear!!! If want to be a fear monger and hide away then go for it but don’t presume to ever tell me how to live my life you dolt.

Fear is the mind killer...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're all gonna die again! Oh no! If we hit 8,000,000 deaths, I'll apologize. If we don't, you should apologize for allowing yourself to be used as a tool and spreading the panic.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Again, do not panic, but follow CDC and WHO recommendations.

Originally Posted by 280shooter
We're all gonna die again! Oh no! If we hit 8,000,000 deaths, I'll apologize. If we don't, you should apologize for allowing yourself to be used as a tool and spreading the panic.

280shooter, you are taking a number out of context.

What I was referring to was another forum member's logic, simply substituting the most correct (at that point in time, from CDC and WHO) mortality rate and using their base of 330,000,000, which while directionally accurate as to overall population, is fundamentally flawed for this sort of analysis. I then pointed to a business insider leaked Gov't document that pointed to a near worst case scenario of 450,000+ deaths instead.

In any case, my only point, and most importantly that of actual experts, is that Covid-19 is far more deadly than the flu. This, by now, should be obvious.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Canadian Lefty.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Canadian Lefty, I'm not trying to diminish your drive to educate us all, but please read below and tell my why there's so much hysteria about COVID and none of the others noted below?

The WHO describes a “pandemic” as “the worldwide spread of a new disease.” By this description, we are witnessing several pandemics today. The WHO estimates that there were 228 million cases of malaria worldwide in 2018, with 405,000 deaths. Almost half the world’s population—about 3.2 billion people—are at risk. The disease kills a child every two minutes.
According to Dr. Christian W. McMillen’s excellent introduction to pandemics, cholera is in its seventh pandemic. It has lasted longer than any previous pandemic and shows no sign of easing. Researchers estimate that there are between 1.3 million and 4 million cases a year, with up to 143,000 deaths worldwide. Tuberculosis (TB) might be the oldest human disease, but this pandemic is still with us as well. Due to multidrug-resistant TB, extensively drug-resistant TB, poor infection control, and drug shortages, tuberculosis now kills more people than at any other time in history. And the AIDS pandemic has infected approximately 37.9 million people around the world, with 1.7 million new infections in 2018. According to the WHO, since the beginning of the epidemic, 75 million people have been infected with the HIV virus; about 32 million have died of it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally posted by JGRaider:
CL, what do you think of this data?

The WHO describes a “pandemic” as “the worldwide spread of a new disease.” By this description, we are witnessing several pandemics today. The WHO estimates that there were 228 million cases of malaria worldwide in 2018, with 405,000 deaths. Almost half the world’s population—about 3.2 billion people—are at risk. The disease kills a child every two minutes.
According to Dr. Christian W. McMillen’s excellent introduction to pandemics, cholera is in its seventh pandemic. It has lasted longer than any previous pandemic and shows no sign of easing. Researchers estimate that there are between 1.3 million and 4 million cases a year, with up to 143,000 deaths worldwide. Tuberculosis (TB) might be the oldest human disease, but this pandemic is still with us as well. Due to multidrug-resistant TB, extensively drug-resistant TB, poor infection control, and drug shortages, tuberculosis now kills more people than at any other time in history. And the AIDS pandemic has infected approximately 37.9 million people around the world, with 1.7 million new infections in 2018. According to the WHO, since the beginning of the epidemic, 75 million people have been infected with the HIV virus; about 32 million have died of it.

First, I found the source of your quote and I have not fact-checked it.

You are asking me what I think...Data is unemotional, so I'll share two perspectives:

From a humanitarian standpoint, there are targeted efforts (which can use additional funding, talent, resources) for any of the pandemics/epidemic diseases that you mention. Foundations and charities that are lead by some of the world's best and brightest are focused on having a significant impact, despite the challenges. One example is the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Donations are important. We try to do our part each year.

My initial hypothesis, based on CDC, WHO and other reports is that Covid-19 is different that the pandemics cited. It is, as you mention, new. There is no vaccine. There are no drug cocktails that dramatically extend life or prevent you from contracting it. Covid-19 is highly contagious and has fewer barriers to transmission. While it's still early, it appears to be as contagious as the flu, maybe more so. There are early case studies that report the virus lasts up to 3 hours airborne and several days on surfaces like plastic, even stainless steel. People die within days, some within weeks. It has the ability to clog the health care system, quickly: see the chart below for this explanation-

Why canceling events and self-quarantining is so important

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty
.......will you apply in draws.....?

I never hunt commando.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally posted by JGRaider:
CL, what do you think of this data?

First, I found the source of your quote and I have not fact-checked it.

You are asking me what I think...Data is unemotional, so I'll share two perspectives:

From a humanitarian standpoint, there are targeted efforts (which can use additional funding, talent, resources) for any of the pandemics/epidemic diseases that you mention. Foundations and charities that are lead by some of the world's best and brightest are focused on having a significant impact, despite the challenges. One example is the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Donations are important. We try to do our part each year.

My initial hypothesis, based on CDC, WHO and other reports is that Covid-19 is different that the pandemics cited. It is, as you mention, new. There is no vaccine. There are no drug cocktails that dramatically extend life or prevent you from contracting it. Covid-19 is highly contagious and has fewer barriers to transmission. While it's still early, it appears to be as contagious as the flu, maybe more so. There are early case studies that report the virus lasts up to 3 hours airborne and several days on surfaces like plastic, even stainless steel. People die within days, some within weeks. It has the ability to clog the health care system, quickly: see the chart below for this explanation-

That's all well and good, but has nothing to do with the fact that these pandemics rage on, without being in the public eye every minute of every day, yet they still kill hundreds of thousands of people every year. Why no hysteria over this?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That's all well and good, but has nothing to do with the fact that these pandemics rage on, without being in the public eye every minute of every day, yet they still kill hundreds of thousands of people every year. Why no hysteria over this?

Because of my second paragraph, quoted in part here
.Covid-19 is different that the pandemics cited. It is, as you mention, new. There is no vaccine. There are no drug cocktails that dramatically extend life or prevent you from contracting it. Covid-19 is highly contagious and has fewer barriers to transmission. While it's still early, it appears to be as contagious as the flu, maybe more so. There are early case studies that report the virus lasts up to 3 hours airborne and several days on surfaces like plastic, even stainless steel. People die within days, some within weeks. It has the ability to clog the health care system, quickly: see the chart below for this explanation-

The public health advice is unambiguous; the current dramatic disruptions are a necessary reaction to the clear, present and growing danger of Covid-19 for the reasons stated above.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cholera, Malaria, TB and AIDS are obviously very dangerous since they still kill so many people, aren't they?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
JGRaider: Yes they are very dangerous. Where they are most dangerous is in areas where they do not have adequate treatment facilities. All of the epidemics you mentioned can be treated or prevented to some degree. Covid-19 has no treatment or vaccine, only the symptoms and secondary infections can be treated. Covid-19 is called a novel virus because no one has any immunity to it. Some of the ones you mentioned have been around so long that a certain percentage of the population has some resistance to the infections, not so with Covid-19.

It all comes down to the personal risk factor's that are acceptable to each individual and if there are any complicating factors that increase risk. If you are young and healthy then it is easier to be more cavalier about the various risk factors. When I travel I take all the recommended preventative measures and prophylactic medications and I have still incurred more than my share of odd ailments, fortunately none life threatening.

This is a personal choice but if the preventative measures like social distancing, limiting travel, avoiding close contact and large crowds, are not put into practice then the virus will spread more rampantly. A young person may only get a nasty flu type reaction for 1-2 weeks but during that time they can spread the disease to countless other people at a rate of 2.3 x 2.3 x 2.3.... add infinitum, some of these people will die. Personal choices do affect other people. Your choice your call.

Canadian Lefty was trying to introduce accredited facts rather than biased theory to the thread. You also did as well but with a sort of counter perspective.
Panic and denial are equally bad, but denial can fuel the spread of Covid-19 more.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm certainly not into denial by any stretch, but I'm very much against panic and misinformation. I'm also very much against living in fear, and let's face it, the lamestream media has done everything within it's power to take down Trump so the baby murdering party can regain control. Nothing has worked yet but this Covid panic thing may just do it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm certainly not into denial by any stretch, but I'm very much against panic and misinformation. I'm also very much against living in fear, and let's face it, the lamestream media has done everything within it's power to take down Trump so the baby murdering party can regain control. Nothing has worked yet but this Covid panic thing may just do it.

Will the sheep come to their senses when they're hungry and broke? The virus won't look so bad anymore. Will it be too late?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will you apply in draws or hunt out of state this year?

Yes

1Minute
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve already cancelled my Canada fishing trip. I’ll bet other guys do too.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Nothing like spreading blind panic. Take safety precautions, but no one knows how bad this will end up being. Remember the Y2K, Zika, West Nile, MERs, etc. Let’s try to slow our roll here.

Exactly!

See you in Wyoming, Ralph. smile

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I wonder how the draws will be affected in other states...Idaho is now on a lockdown, 'stay at home' order. U.S death toll now surpasses 1,000 from Covid-19: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I am happy that the DOJ is also taking this seriously: "People intentionally spreading coronavirus could be charged with terrorism, DOJ says".

What still worries me:
Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House's coronavirus response coordinator, said at a White House press briefing on Friday: "From Italy we're seeing another concerning trend. That the mortality in males seems to be twice in every age group of females."

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.