Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 6mm-.223 AR and as such have short COAL restraints imposed by the magazine. I've taken a couple of deer with the 70 gr BT but have been underwhelmed by the terminal performance. I was wondering if I could file off the tips of 85 gr Partitions for shorter COAL without compromising performance. I know Nosler makes a protected tip design .30 cal Partition which is basically what I'm after. Thanks!
Sam

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
If it feeds ok i think it would work

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It works fine. I have done it to "produce" flat-nosed bullets for lever-actions, including filing the 120 Partition down to the jacket for use in the .25-35 Winchester, and 210 Partitions for the .33 WCF. The front core of Partitions is a relatively soft lead alloy (much softer than the typical alloy used in cup-and-core big game bullets) and opens easily.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you Mr. Barsness!
And good point howard1. I'll check feeding before I file the tips off a whole box of them. eek

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have filed a little off of some hollow points because they were a little long.
They were getting into the ogive and were still to long.

They still flew true.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

John,

I had never thought about it... but do you think filing the tip off a 60gr Partition would help in a gun (1:14" 22-250) where stabilization is marginal?

In the end it means shooting a shorter bullet...

I can't wait to do the experiment!

Alvaro

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Alvaro,

It didn't help when I tried it, but you never know.

There are two potential problems. First, rifle bullet stability is controlled by two opposing forces, the gyroscopic stability of the spinning bullet, and the air pressure on the front of the bullet, which tends to destabilize the bullet. If the frontal air pressure increases, it tends to detabilize even more--and a flat-nose bullet results in more frontal air pressure.

Second, if a bullet is marginally stable, even a small change in atmospheric conditions (colder air, lower elevation) can destabilize it--along with a drop in velocity due to a cold-sensitive powder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve snipped the lead tips off .257 Partitions and BT’s to get them short enough to stabilize in pre-1960 Savage 99’s in 250-3000. While still not as accurate as something like a 87gr .257 Speer Hot Core, it improved groups from 7”-8” down to 1.5” real easy. Probably could work up loads that do better.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I thought the experts decided that circumcision wasn't the best thing to do anymore.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Alvaro,

It didn't help when I tried it, but you never know.

There are two potential problems. First, rifle bullet stability is controlled by two opposing forces, the gyroscopic stability of the spinning bullet, and the air pressure on the front of the bullet, which tends to destabilize the bullet. If the frontal air pressure increases, it tends to detabilize even more--and a flat-nose bullet results in more frontal air pressure.

Second, if a bullet is marginally stable, even a small change in atmospheric conditions (colder air, lower elevation) can destabilize it--along with a drop in velocity due to a cold-sensitive powder.

Thank you for your reply, John.
Currently, stabilizati0n is marginal, but on the right side of the margin and filing it may increase that margin a little.
My shooting range is at 2,100 ft and where I hunt is 3,700+ so that may add a little more margin.
Temperature will be working against, as typically the huntig area will be 5-8 degrees C cooler.
I think you are absolutely right and I will not try them on game, regardless the results with so many good alternatives around, because I do not feel comfortable anywhere near a margin...
But I can't resist the experiment. Or I am not a loonie? :-))
Alvaro

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I thought the experts decided that circumcision wasn't the best thing to do anymore.

This is true.

A real loony would just buy a new rifle chambered such that snipping and clipping are little more than a passing thought.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So this would require two rifles. Ye olde untipped MK versus the challenger.

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a .270 Win ackley that shot smaller groups filing .020 off the tips

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After reading what MD and others have said about filing tips on Partitions to use in lever actions I am willing to do it. Problem is I can't find any .35 caliber 225 grain "factory seconds" to try in my .356 Win. I guess I could just buy a box of them some where.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (44mc, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.