Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
.....is what the kids are getting because of the obvious outbreak of Covid19.

The schools here are closed until at least April 24th. The kids are beside themselves with joy because they’re getting an unexpected 6 week vacation from school. I don’t know what that means for makeup days but I believe they can’t go beyond July 1st or something like that.....we’ll see and deal with it as it comes but for now they can put the books down. Our son went fishing for a couple hours but didn’t catch much so they came home and took out the .22’s and did some target practice. 👍

My wife and I told the kids that since they’ll not be doing school work during the weekdays that they’re now going to be doing adult work around here. They’re going to learn how to properly do laundry, cook, yard work, clean the gutters and a half a million other things on my to do list. 😁. They’re proficient in everything except laundry and cooking so we’ll have them whipped into shape in no time. 😉

I expected some minor pushback or sighs of exasperation when I informed them of their new daily expectations but I was pleasantly surprised when, before I told them about the chores and my expectations, my son said “since I won’t have school I can help you with the work you need to do around the yard and house Dad”. A 17 year old young man suggesting that he wants to help dad do chores and maintenance?......I’m waiting for something to burst my bubble. 😂

As the kids get older mom and I grow more proud of them. We always get compliments from strangers about how polite or helpful or just plain nice our children are and I don’t think there’s anything that could be said that makes us more proud than a simple compliment.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you raised 'em right. Good on you.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Kids are excited about the extra week!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m telling you, this might be a great awakening. People might realize a slower pace of life, family time, and actually sitting still for 5 minutes is a damn good thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job Aces.

Kinda gives you a lump in the throat, doesn't it?

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco
Kids are excited about the extra week!

It started out as only being a week off but it quickly grew to 6 weeks off.....but yeah, they’re excited. 😂

Originally Posted by 16bore
I’m telling you, this might be a great awakening. People might realize a slower pace of life, family time, and actually sitting still for 5 minutes is a damn good thing.

That would be a wonderful realization and a truly GREAT awakening. 👍. I’m afraid that most people will go back to flying through life never really seeing the scenery and never stopping.

Unfortunately we went from “Never Forget September 11th” to electing a Muslim as POTUS and kissing their filthy brown asses.

I didn’t mean to get off topic and I apologize for the tangent.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
.....is what the kids are getting because of the obvious outbreak of Covid19.

The schools here are closed until at least April 24th. The kids are beside themselves with joy because they’re getting an unexpected 6 week vacation from school. I don’t know what that means for makeup days but I believe they can’t go beyond July 1st or something like that.....we’ll see and deal with it as it comes but for now they can put the books down. Our son went fishing for a couple hours but didn’t catch much so they came home and took out the .22’s and did some target practice. 👍

My wife and I told the kids that since they’ll not be doing school work during the weekdays that they’re now going to be doing adult work around here. They’re going to learn how to properly do laundry, cook, yard work, clean the gutters and a half a million other things on my to do list. 😁. They’re proficient in everything except laundry and cooking so we’ll have them whipped into shape in no time. 😉

I expected some minor pushback or sighs of exasperation when I informed them of their new daily expectations but I was pleasantly surprised when, before I told them about the chores and my expectations, my son said “since I won’t have school I can help you with the work you need to do around the yard and house Dad”. A 17 year old young man suggesting that he wants to help dad do chores and maintenance?......I’m waiting for something to burst my bubble. 😂

As the kids get older mom and I grow more proud of them. We always get compliments from strangers about how polite or helpful or just plain nice our children are and I don’t think there’s anything that could be said that makes us more proud than a simple compliment.

We took our (young) kids into an upscale restaurant, years ago - and you could see the adjoining diners eyes roll.
After they finished their meal, and upon leaving, the gentleman complimented us on the behavior of our kids - saying it was unexpected.
We informed the couple that our children were disciplined - and would act disciplined - otherwise corporal punishment would ensue!
We are firm believers that the Good Lord put padding on a child's ass for a reason - not abuse, but an attention-getter!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore

I sincerely hope you are right.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

March 12, 2020
Will the Coronavirus Revolutionize Education?
By Sean M. Brooks

With some K-12 school districts and administrators across America panicking and attempting to get ahead of any ‘outbreak’ of the coronavirus, more districts are opting for students to stay home. I’d be willing to bet that most students thoroughly enjoy this. It’s kind of like having ‘snow days.’ However, what might be in store for these students could be far more important than a snow day, as it’s possible that the virus may herald a revolutionary shift in education.

Throughout the years, American homeschooling and online K-12 education has become far more popular and realistic than ‘brick and mortar’ public schools want to admit. School choice is disrupting and angering public school districts and officials, and school boards are voting against student vouchers so they can continue to enslave students to their school districts instead of allowing state-allocated money to travel with that student to a school of their choice. This includes online education. School districts also keep knowledge of online schools and online education far away from K-12 students and their parents, at all costs. After all, bodies in the seats mean more money for ‘brick and mortar’ school districts.

However, now that the coronavirus is causing school administrators to panic, ‘brick and mortar’ schools are encouraging students to stay home and engage in “Hybrid/Online” classes, where they communicate with their teachers online and complete online assignments and tasks at home on the internet. For most American K-12 students, this is the first time they have consistently accomplished this task at home without direct contact with the school or their classrooms, yet many of them may fail to understand that this form of online education goes on every day, throughout our country and other countries, when a virus is not in the news or infecting anyone. They may also not know that a degree from an online K-12 school counts exactly the same and holds as much weight as it does if they were waking up early every day, riding a bus, and attending a ‘brick and mortar’ American K-12 school, in person.

It’s my estimation that this will be an awakening for countless American K-12 school students -- and their parents -- that these students actually don’t have to attend a ‘brick and mortar’ public school in order to receive a high-quality education, followed by a diploma. Once these students begin their online tasks, they may come to the realization that online learning is far more in-depth, far more rigorous, far more interesting, and yet far more quiet, as they don’t have to look to see who is about to get into a physical fight, or detest attending classes where teachers are indoctrinating them with their own personal ideologies. Therefore, the presence of this virus and the forced school closings that have occurred as a result, have perhaps created the next wave of individualists and online learners in America.

Online education requires students to think for themselves. Within typical American K-12 schools, individualism is being stamped out on purpose. Students today are forced to engage in “project-based learning,” group activities, clubs, and competitive games that ultimately seek to conquer and divide one another among their peers, without the individual person ever having a chance to think or act for themselves in a creative way. Therefore, their participation in online education has now forced them to think for themselves, by themselves, in a what hopes to be a quiet, sensible learning environment where the individual student can exist with their own mind and their own thoughts to guide them in an online landscape where the limits are endless.

The feelings that may arise throughout this inadvertent online application of learning that schools have placed on their students, may create a dialogue among the entire student population, that attending American K-12 ‘brick and mortar’ schools or even ‘brick and mortar’ colleges and universities may be unnecessary. With the rising costs of colleges and universities, and given how these institutions have become such news-makers regarding professorial indoctrination while pushing radical ideologies on their students, the current crop of American K-12 students may realize that online education is not only a successful environment, it may be a far healthier one. Suicide, is in fact, the number one cause of death among college and university students -- but this isn’t the case when they attend online. Gee, I wonder why?

Perhaps this inadvertent participation, that has typically been kept in the shadows by K-12 school districts, will now show K-12 students that they may not need as many people around them in order to think for themselves and be successful. I’m willing to bet that once these K-12 students return to their ‘brick and mortar’ schools, they will be far less enthused to be there. In fact, once they return to their ‘brick and mortar’ schools when the coronavirus dust settles, they may ultimately ask themselves; “Why am I waking up early and coming here, when I could be learning online?”

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son is taking his 9 and 6 year old kids out to clear trails on public lands as part of their out of school education.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Tolkinesque title.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Mark, I fondly remember as a child rarely going out to eat but being on our best behavior when we did. I was the oldest of 5 kids and I remember as vividly as if it happened yesterday mom and dad getting complimented by other adults regarding how well behaved and well mannered us kids were. Mom used to tell us that there’s not a better compliment she could receive than other adults complimenting her on her children. I didn’t understand it back then but I sure as hell know now what mom meant way back then. I know mom is smiling down on me but I only wish I could see her tears of joy and pride with the way her grandchildren have grown into amazing young adults. I suppose that the reason our children are productive, working, straight A students is because mom <and dad> held us to high expectations, not to be a ball breaker but rather because they knew our potential and made us accountable for our actions. My mom’s legacy lives on through her children and grandchildren, knowing how important family was to mom and knowing that we’ve imparted those values in our children fills me with happiness and pride.

Originally Posted by Brazos
My son is taking his 9 and 6 year old kids out to clear trails on public lands as part of their out of school education.

Awesome! Great way to kill several birds with 1 stone. It sounds like you guys are doing it right. 👍

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
If I acted up in public, I would have gotten some corporal punishment right there, maybe some extra when I got home. Step father was a WW II marine. If you did exactly what he said and did it exactly when he said, it was tolerable. It took me a broken jaw, a broken arm, a dislocated shoulder, and a lot bruises to learn that. I was a bit hard headed. He treated his children the same if not worse. My little brother never did learn, my sister took some licks too.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They canceled schools but are still feeding the freeloader kids. That hasn’t stopped

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My girls worked since January on musicals (stage shows) and now at the last minute they have all been cancelled. One was going to be tonight. They are not happy, but are taking it in stride. Their schools are going to be out until further notice. Maybe I can get some actual work from them done around the house.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 63 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,273
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.