Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Looking for a puppy that’ll be ready to go in the next 2 weeks. Won’t consider a puppy that the parents haven’t been tested for everything recommended by the Boykin Spaniel Society. Prefer female. Must be from hunting stock, hunt test/field trial preferred.

More than likely driving from Texas to Alaska in the next few weeks and would prefer a breeder along this route.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Contact the Boykin Spaniel Society in Camden, SC, they should know of any litters available. It's the dog of choice here in SC.I had a female years ago, she was a good dog, but if I were to do it over I would get an English Cocker. There are a lot of good breeders all over the south for Boykins and the money range is very wide.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My cousin is a breeder, field trailer affiliated with the Boykin Spaniel Society. PM me if interested. He, along with the others, are very careful about who they sell to. They will not sell a puppy to just any Joe off the street.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Boykin for 6 years until I lost him to leukemia. Great house/hunting dog. After looking unsuccessfully for the right Boykin anywhere in or near Pa. , I found a Field Bred English Cocker that looks, acts, & hunts like my Boykin. I agree with rrconductor. The Boykins from a good bloodline are a great dog, but take a look at FB English Cockers if there are any reputable breeders in your area.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I watched English Cockers at work retrieving quail in Souther Georgia this past January and became a fan. Beautiful dogs with a wonderful disposition but are really good at retrieving quail. I'd love to have one.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Good suggestion above about contacting the BSS. Judging by your username, I would guess you are wanting a duck dog. While I agree that Cockers are awesome dogs, I do think Boykins handle water better. After all, one of their primary functions is to be a smaller duck retriever. It will probably be difficult to find one outside of the southeast though, not many have made it east of the Mississippi. Though their popularity is starting to really take off. Best of luck to you! I sure do enjoy my two!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Two weeks to get a quality, well bred hunting dog from a not very common breed? Id give myself a least a year to get on a breeder's list. Typically all the good breeders have their dogs spoken for before the birthing.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Don’t give up and follow any every lead. Be as diligent “vetting” the Breeder and Bloodline as they’re going to be with you. After months of looking for a Black GSP and putting a deposit on a litter pick only to find out just weeks before the expected birth that it was a “false pregnancy” and no pups.

Continued searching and found a Breeder in Michigan that was going to keep a pup but after a few conversations he decided I was the
best choice for the pup to join our hunting family.

Miaya is almost 4 years old now and I can’t image her not being part of our lives and wouldn’t by not giving up and following every lead.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Looking for a puppy that’ll be ready to go in the next 2 weeks. Won’t consider a puppy that the parents haven’t been tested for everything recommended by the Boykin Spaniel Society. Prefer female. Must be from hunting stock, hunt test/field trial preferred.

More than likely driving from Texas to Alaska in the next few weeks and would prefer a breeder along this route.

LOL!!! Boy howdy, you sure aren’t asking for much...

I’ve got a Boykin, and she came from south Louisiana. I’ll have to dig around to find the breeders contact info.
Even after six years, our Boykin is still wired for sound.

My youngest son just picked up/delivered an English Cocker to a friend of his and fell in love with the breed.

Last edited by retrieverman; 03/11/20.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
https://gundogcentral.com/hunting-dogs-for-sale/flushers

Don’t have any knowledge of these litters, but there are several listed. Good luck!

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bismarck ND has 3 of the top English Cocker breeder/trainers (based upon field trial results) in all of North America. I'm actually very surprised given our weather and the fact that we grow a goodly portion of the Central Flyway's waterfowl population that they haven't branched out to include Boykins. I'm surprised that you really don't even hear a whisper about them in ND/SD/MT. I have a 12wk old EC puppy currently but I'd have certainly considered a Boykin had I been able to source one anywhere in ND, SD, MT, or MN.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Try here, some available right now.

https://marketplace.akc.org/puppies/boykin-spaniel

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Chocolatepossum
Good suggestion above about contacting the BSS. Judging by your username, I would guess you are wanting a duck dog. While I agree that Cockers are awesome dogs, I do think Boykins handle water better. After all, one of their primary functions is to be a smaller duck retriever. It will probably be difficult to find one outside of the southeast though, not many have made it east of the Mississippi. Though their popularity is starting to really take off. Best of luck to you! I sure do enjoy my two!

There are several in TX, I don't know about breeders but I do know there some folks in TX named Boykin that run the little brown dog.The dog originated in Boykin, SC for fall turkey hunting, breaking up flocks and then hiding under cover( think burlap) and the hunter calls the flock back together to harvest a bird.
As far popularity taking off, that is true probably outside of SC,GA,NC. I bought my 1st in 1984 the pick of the litter female from the owner of the(sire) champion dog that year. They are queer about who they go to , I qualified because I was classmate of the sire's owner in college.
If you are in AK ,my choice would be a Chessie of which I had , best dog I ever owned ,loyal to a fault( bit my ex, Ha)hardy and true water dog with endless drive and energy for the water.

Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for all the suggestions. I know it’s a tall order, that’s why I figured I’d throw out a feeler in here. Appreciate the leads.

I’ve owned Labs and Chessies. Looking for a Boykin, though. Prefer one to an English Cocker for several reasons.

Not opposed to waiting. I contacted more breeders than I thought possible before posting this and I am also a member of the BSS and checked with them, too. There’s actually a silver level preferred breeder (by the BSS) about 15 miles from me in AK but he won’t have anything available for about a year.

I mean no disrespect, but I’ve been around dogs and purchasing them from reputable breeders for a while. I know how the process works, I was just hoping someone on here might know a breeder who had some pups on the ground and could direct me to them. If not, no big deal, I’m happy waiting, just thought I might try to find one since I’m about to make the trek North.

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 03/13/20.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57
My cousin is a breeder, field trailer affiliated with the Boykin Spaniel Society. PM me if interested. He, along with the others, are very careful about who they sell to. They will not sell a puppy to just any Joe off the street.

PM inbound.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for all the suggestions. I know it’s a tall order, that’s why I figured I’d throw out a feeler in here. Appreciate the leads.

I’ve owned Labs and Chessies. Looking for a Boykin, though. Prefer one to an English Cocker for several reasons.

Not opposed to waiting. I contacted more breeders than I thought possible before posting this and I am also a member of the BSS and checked with them, too. There’s actually a silver level preferred breeder (by the BSS) about 15 miles from me in AK but he won’t have anything available for about a year.

I mean no disrespect, but I’ve been around dogs and purchasing them from reputable breeders for a while. I know how the process works, I was just hoping someone on here might know a breeder who had some pups on the ground and could direct me to them. If not, no big deal, I’m happy waiting, just thought I might try to find one since I’m about to make the trek North.

If I insinuated you were lacking in dog skills I am sorry certainly didn't mean to. I made a call and my buddies sister just sold her last one 2 weeks ago ,both parents hunt tested and good hunting stock.

BTW the boykin is the official state dog of SC.

Last edited by rrconductor; 03/13/20.

Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Not at all - sorry if it came off that way. Thanks for the help!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Looking for a Boykin, though. Prefer one to an English Cocker for several reasons.

Care to share those reasons?

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Looking for a Boykin, though. Prefer one to an English Cocker for several reasons.

Care to share those reasons?

I’m going to politely decline. I’ve seen how those conversations end up on other forums and I’d prefer not to derail.

If you’re genuinely interested, shoot me a PM and we can talk about it or feel free to start a thread in another forum. Not accusing you of it, but some folks just want to argue and it’s not going to change my mind so I’m not going to waste anyone’s time. I’ve been doing this research for six years, now, and we recently lost one of our other dogs to a sudden death so I figured I’d see what was out there since I’m about to be driving across the country.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 30 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,575
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.