-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got my 54 up and running. Shot 20 round ball's a couple days ago. 50 yards off a bench 20 balls went into 4 inches. Cool I thought, I will try some no excuse 545g bullets over 80 g of 777 fffg I thought. First shot I poured 85g ,no biggy I thought. Hit 4 inches high at 50. Cool I thought. Recoil was noticeably more then the round ball of course.
Cool I thought, 4 inches should give me a 150 pbr I thought.
Next load I caught the pour right at 80g . Should be a little less recoil I thought.
Touched it off and lightening struck, the earth shook, mountains rent asunder, and my shooting bag rest rained little black plastic fill in a 10 foot circle!
Well maybe not 10 ft but it looked like it on the nice fresh snow!
Looked the charcoal burner over and lo and behold the clean out screw weren't there!
Looked closer and couldn't see any rifleing in the screw hole!
Don't look like it ever was threaded.
So much for my thinking I was going to have some fun today .
The screw is supposed to be a 6x32x1/4. A 8 x 32 tap went into the hole so easy I am scared there aren't enough threads . Sure don't want to go up to 10 x32.
Maybe there is a metric size that will grab the 8x32 hole better.
Tomorrow I have eye surgery so it will be a while before I can play with it some more.
Oh boy some fun I thought😩

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/08/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Think I will drop to a 70g starting load too.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that the new GM barrel?

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yup

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call them. I had a new .45 barrel that came new with the nipple cross threaded. Called, sent it in and got a new barrel back.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Unfortunately I put this together with some old stock I had in my what the he'll is that drawer. My breech plug and don't remember where I got it.
I will remember where I get the new one😤
I have 2 weeks until I can shoot again. Will give me time to get it righted.
And I can practice my sewing putting my shooting bag back together.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For $1250.00 I can solve your problem!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
For $1250.00 I can solve your problem!

move that decimal over to the left and I might be able to afford it. smile ssi don't give much to play with.

got any pictures? grin grin

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/10/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The metric thread between 8-32 and 10-32 would be a 5.5MM X .7 MM thread pitch. Victor Machinery Co. can supply the tap and a die of the same thread if you end up having to make a plug that size.

www.victornet.com

I've been buying specialty machining supplies from them for many years.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I ordered a assortment pack of stainless Allen screws off amazon. Knowing full well they would be made in kung fu China I figured one would be just enough out of spec to work.
The gamble paid off. About the third one I tried was good. A little dab of blue locktite and hopefully in a week when my eye heals enough I can shoot it again

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Are you sure you want to bet what's left of your vision on a little bit of Loctite? I think I'd want a really good-fitting thread on that plug, and the hole it goes into. Let's play some high-stakes poker- - - - -you'll probably draw to an inside straight, too!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I just shot 1 of my .54s Yesterday, I haven’t had it out in awhile. I was happy with it’s performance. Thompson Center Renegade Stock, Green Mountain LRH (Long Range Hunter) Barrel, VERY RARE .54 Cal 1:28 Twist. The .45 and .50 GM LRH Barrels were Common, But These .54s are RARE, in fact i am the only person I know for sure that has one. Lyman 57SML Tang Peep, Lyman 17AHB Globe Front Sight, With a Lee Shaver insert

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gotta love BIG Lead smile

They patched up to .540 with this Particular Paper (300 series Tracing Paper) which is ideal for this .541 Bore

Last edited by Idaholewis; 03/12/20.

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely sweet! can't stand the waiting. I only have a little time left in this life and hate waiting for anything anymore!
IDLewis, how many wraps is that, and do you trim the base or twist? great looking bullets!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Are you sure you want to bet what's left of your vision on a little bit of Loctite? I think I'd want a really good-fitting thread on that plug, and the hole it goes into. Let's play some high-stakes poker- - - - -you'll probably draw to an inside straight, too!
Jerry

I rechased the hole and have good treads now.
I think grin my new peeper is still a little fuzzy but much better then before. I can read the head stamp on LC 556 brass now. been 5-6 years since I could do that!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Absolutely sweet! can't stand the waiting. I only have a little time left in this life and hate waiting for anything anymore!
IDLewis, how many wraps is that, and do you trim the base or twist? great looking bullets!

That is 2 Wraps of a 300 Series Tracing paper, Really thin stuff. The Patches are cut at an Angle using a Template, These are what’s called “Short Patched” there is a Very small amount of Patch once wrapped, you simply Fold it over evenly around the Base edges, i then slide them across a Solid Flat surface to Really Set the Patch in place.

It is a Really simple process, I have never timed it, but i am sure i can patch 2 Bullets in a Minute, I’m never in a Hurry about it though, I enjoy Tinkering with this Stuff 👍

From your Avatar Location we are pretty Close to eachother, i have Logged/Cut timber around Naples, and up at a Place called Copeland, Back side of Some Hop Fields. I am in PR, I do a LOT of Business with Buffalo Arms in Sandpoint. It’s a BIG World, yet Small

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I live just north and West of copeland. Have to cross the river at copeland rd.
Did 6 years running hunting at upper Priest lake and camel prairie for moose.
Good friend lives in PR . I hadn't been over there for some years. I only get into BF every 3 months. And Sandpoint 1 time a year.
Stopped into Wrenco this week after my eye surgery but they didn't have anything that interested me.
World is small this day and age.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.