Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Guys I’m going to be making a shotgun purchase in the next few days and I have narrowed it down to the below options. I understand that they are nearly identical guns in terms of how they are built, but I’m wondering what would cause you to choose one over the other. I’m also still a bit torn between 12 and 20 gauge, all of my turkeys are killed less than 35 yards so a 20 would be no handicap by any means. I think the most attractive part of a 20 is the lighter weight of the gun. This gun will also be used for predators, to include coyotes, under 50 yards, that’s the only part that has me leery about the 20 gauge option

My options…
-Tristar Viper G2 or Viper G2 Turkey (pistol grip, cerakote and 21” barrel)
-Weatherby SA459 or SA-08
-Mossberg SA-20

I’m also considering a Remington 870 turkey special… As you can see I have a tough time making decisions for new hunting gear LOL

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Since you're looking at inexpensive Turkish semis, I'd take the Stoeger or CZ over any of your choices.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I believe the Weatherby SA-08, Tristar Viper, and Mossberg SA-20 have similar actions to the Beretta 300 series. If so, it would hard to go wrong with either of the three. I read somewhere that the Weatherby may only have one action bar. Not sure on that. Randy Wakeman gives the Mossberg very good reviews. My son has a Remington 1187, in 20 gauge, that shoots very well.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My daughter's have a Weatherby sa-08 20 GA youth and it's a sweet little SA. I've taken it into the flooded timber for duck hints and loved shooting it. Cycled 7/8 oz loads well and pointed well. Seemed balanced.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buy American

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Find a used beretta and go enjoy shooting it. , but if you was going to get one on your list the rem 870.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Didnt you go thru this a week ago???
LOL!!!
crazy laugh

Buy a slingshot.
Use marbles.
Get a good slingshot choke

American slingshots have more reilable and available parts and aftermarket stuff than Turkish slingshots.

12ga slingshot probably be better for out to 50.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Lol same dilemma just a different question

Last edited by scottprice; 03/13/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Buy once, cry once............don't buy a cheap-azz shotgun, and expect it to last you for years. Most of them aren't built to stand up to a lot of hard use. I'd much rather spend the extra money and buy a good used Beretta, Remington 11-87, Benelli, Franchi, Browning, even a Winchester. Sounds like you're dead set on buying a semi-auto, and if that's what you want, then go for it, but I'd also look into the pump guns. Just remember this...........guns are no different from anything else, in that you get what you pay for.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Save a little longer, buy a good one!

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My son has a Remington 1187, in 20 gauge, that shoots very well.

I bought mine, a 12, as soon as they hit the stores. It has killed enough ducks to fill up a rail car and have some left over, in a brackish marsh, no less.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would not buy a towel head shotgun from the islamic republic of Turkey. Buy something once the right way, plenty of Beretta,Benellis,Remingtons and Winchesters that are used out there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by scottprice
Guys I’m going to be making a shotgun purchase in the next few days and I have narrowed it down to the below options. I understand that they are nearly identical guns in terms of how they are built, but I’m wondering what would cause you to choose one over the other. I’m also still a bit torn between 12 and 20 gauge, all of my turkeys are killed less than 35 yards so a 20 would be no handicap by any means. I think the most attractive part of a 20 is the lighter weight of the gun. This gun will also be used for predators, to include coyotes, under 50 yards, that’s the only part that has me leery about the 20 gauge option

My options…
-Mossberg SA-20

I’m also considering a Remington 870 turkey special… As you can see I have a tough time making decisions for new hunting gear LOL

Get the 870... Period... You'll be set for life..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Redneck

My options…
-Mossberg SA-20

Yep.... I have an 870 Turkey Express (they must call it a special now?) and it has put down a lot of birds, never a hiccup.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
#2 son, Angus, thought he'd really lucked into something when he brought home a cheap Turkish shotgun from the gun & nut show. Then he took it out. I forget all that was the matter with it, but it was a basket case.

He sold it at the next gun show at a slight profit, which only proves there's more than one of 'em born every minute.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Semi autos... semi autos.....semi autos......
Currently have two.

Their can only be one!!!!

Over the last 3 or 4 yrs I have had
H&R excell auto turk/verona clone receiver/ hybrid rem 1100 barrel and gas system( parts always in back of mind)
Mossberg 935
Mossberg 930 syn

Now:
Win 1400 mkII
Mossberg 930 walnut

This one is getting sent down the road soon.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This one gonna acheive core group status
Waaaaaaaaay easier disassembly, maintenance and assembly
Parts readily available
Aftermarket rich with options

Got 11 birdseyes in the forearm and nice slab and swirl grain in the buttstock.
Just gotta do some contouring and rounding of sharp lines and some tru oil magic and it will look excellent.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 03/13/20.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
if a semi auto is in the works, it should begin with a "b"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

My options…
-Mossberg SA-20

Listen to him.^

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My options…
-Mossberg SA-20

You must hang out with widrahthaar 😂

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CEoW717

My options…
-Mossberg SA-20

You must hang out with widrahthaar 😂

...or be a gunsmith.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,096
Posts18,464,125
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.