Page 1 of 2 1 2
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That should create a stir, but...somehow... it isn't Strange.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I was told that at SCI.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stopping production altogether or just not sending any here?

The well-to-do in Yurrup seem to be gravitating toward the various spendy straight-pulls for driven hunts, and even some LR work, if YouTube is to be believed, but I thought the African market for good CRFs was still solid.

'Course, I been wrong a few million times before....

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From their website, here in Yurrop,

https://www.czub.cz/en/hunt-and-explore/kulovnice-hunting

it appears, only the 557 action is left -

https://huntforever.org/2018/01/11/cz-model-557/
This is a push-feed.

Winchester 70 year 64 all over - from CZ.

The controlled-round-feed is going the way of the Dodo, but for the millions Mauser 98, Brno ZKK, CZ 550, Winchester 70 pre 64 as well as Kimbers.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 557 appears to be a decent, if unremarkable push feed rifle. Where its market niche is here we'll just have to wait and see. I've seen exactly one in a store. Kinda heavy by current standards, I think. Personally, in blued steel and walnut, I'd be looking at Hawkeyes and M70s (but I ain't looking).

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have two CZ 550's now.One is a 308 Win Varmint.This rifle shoots extremely well.The other is a 550 Prestige in a 30-06.I ended up fire lapping it and it shoots really good now,under an inch.Before fire lapping it was more like 1 1/2-2".I just sent back a 550 Ultimate Hunting rifle 300 Win Mag just a couple of months ago.I inspected the barrel and the last two inches was badly grooved.CZ did an accuracy test and it failed.They offered me any rifle they had in stock or full refund on the rifle.I was surprised to see how few rifles they had to offer.The smallest magnum rifle was 375 H&H and then in the 557 line,30-06 was the largest and priced considerly less than the value of the rifle I had.I elected for the full refund.This rifle had issues from the start.I sent it in when it was new for feed issues and stock finish was coming off.They fixed all that.It didn't shoot as well as I expected it to.It was long throated with a short mag box.About .100 was as close to the lands as I could get.They advertised it as 1MOA out to 600yds with a couple of bullets I did not shoot so I never sent it back.It was really picky on what bullets would shoot well.I ended up fire lapping it with all 50 Tubb's Final Finish bullets.It shot much better after that with some bullets anyway.Such a shame CZ dropped the 550 line,they were great rifles if made right.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
CZ will be foolish to discontinue the 550. The 557 is no better and maybe not even quite as good as the Howa, and the 550 is excellent in so many ways.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They started discontinuing the 550 in some models a few years ago.They are nice rifles with a lot of steel compared to a lot of rifles these days.I guess I'll hang on to the two I have.I can't say anything bad about their warranty service,they have treated me well,I think the factory quality control might need some help.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You mean I'm going to be hunting with (gasp!) an "obsolete" rifle?

Gee, have never done that before....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You mean I'm going to be hunting with (gasp!) an "obsolete" rifle?

Gee, have never done that before....

At least you won't be the only "seasoned citizen" hunting with an outdated, obsolete rifle.

I can say that. I'm older than Ingwe; he's older than dirt. blush

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. CZ has a history of discontinuing excellent, expensive to produce firearms. I was not happy when CZ discontinued the 550 American quite some time ago in smaller calibers, but they continued production of medium and large bore 550s. Now it seems that they are discontinuing those as well. A shame really, b/c the 550 American is an excellent rifle - my only gripe with them is that the stocks are a bit fat and heavy.

I was also extremely disappointed when CZ discontinued the Dan Wesson Valor - especially the blued, carbon steel version.

They're just like any other company in that respect - maximizing their profits at the expense of quality.

As far as production CRF rifles, I guess FN, the Win M70 & Kimber are the only games left in town.

Last edited by High_Noon; 03/10/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I recall the set of rings CZ provided with my 550 American chambered in the Swede. They are beasts! I used them as paperweights until I passed the Swede on to a nephew for graduating from college and the paperweights went with it.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Speaking of 550's, here's a full stock 550 in 7x57 with gray finish and butter knife bolt handle. I think it's factory, but don't know the specifics. I traded for it, then traded it for something I thought I wanted more. The wood looks like European walnut with the color and the streaks. It has a Timney trigger.

Does anyone know anything about this particular 550?

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Puddle, I just came from the folks house where Dad is shedding tools\guns and stuff he no longer can use. Sadly one is a 550 Swede with rather nice wood. He is wanting to sell if anyone is interested? Do not know why but his action is slicker than my 270 (remains rough) though mine is years older with a lot more rounds down her. No way 100 rounds made were ever fired in his. 50 would be a stretch.

Funny you mention rings. I had to buy new rings for his because I bought him a new scope and the 'smith' had put red loctite on the screws when installing his old scope. I had to destroy them to get them off. I went to a local Gibsons- hill country Texas - and darned if they didn't have a set of CZ 550 rings.

I bought my CZ 40P there for less thatn $300 if I recall.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Kenjs1, I recall the wood on that 550 American Swede was borderline too pretty to hunt with. It's probably why the nephew coveted it so much (that and the handload recipe I used for it).

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well Mule Deer I hunt with obsolete rifles too,,,,,,,,,,,,because I must be an obsolete hunter.
I like obsolete values too, and obsolete patriotism and obsolete belief in God and family.
But I did find a lot of obsolete elk, deer and antelope to hunt and fill our freezers, so all is well I guess.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by High_Noon
As far as production CRF rifles, I guess FN, the Win M70 & Kimber are the only games left in town.

Ruger Hawkeye.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Ed Brown 704 action is CRF, although not a typical CRF design.

That design is now the basis for LAW rifles.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, basically the Garand system--which has worked very well for a long time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1lessdog, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.